Repair Stand - Harbour Freight

GoldenMotor.com

solokumba

Nov 24, 2010
Florida
Harbor Freight has a bicycle repair stand that's a good price.
Wonder if it's any good?
Thinking about building my own with PVC or iron pipe.

LINKY DINK

Sharksfan

Nov 28, 2009
San Jose, CA.
The only problem with that I can see is that I would have a heck of a time getting my bike up that high. That thing weighs a TON.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
That seems like a good deal. I doubt you could make your own out of metal for less than that.

I use a Harbor Freight table lift to wotk on my bikes and it's very good quality.

Three-Wire

Aug 12, 2010
Goddard, KS
Buy it and let us know how it works! I tried to make my own from pvc based on internet plans - it works but i have to strap it to a post or it bends too far and it cost $70 to buy the materials. Iron pipe is a better idea and probably would be cheaper.

I wonder if the HF stand could support the weight of a MB though. Won't know until someone tries it out...

Jax2A

Nov 5, 2010
The LC, Ohio
The only problem with that I can see is that I would have a heck of a time getting my bike up that high. That thing weighs a TON.
Product manual on it list maximum weight at 66lbs.

Whoops meant to quote Three-Wire's post:

"I wonder if the HF stand could support the weight of a MB though. Won't know until someone tries it out... "

mr.charlie

Jul 27, 2010
tavares florida "lake county"
i am always lookin for ways to utilize what i call "wasted space" as im limited to a 20x20 garage/shop. i have probly gutted and re arranged it 10x's in the 2yrs i've been down here....almost everything i have is on wheels, roller cabs, workbenches, blastin cab, parts washer, mig, you get the idea....i have a grey Sears work bench which i have mounted a vice, a drill press, a grinder, a scroll saw, and a combo disc/band sander. i call it my "mini machine shop" all power cords go thru holes bored next to or underneath the machines and are plugged into a multi-strip so i can wheel it out into the driveway or where ever have 360* access and use one extension cord to power up the whole work station ...ok i know im gettin long winded but heres my point.....for a bike stand....how 'bout mounting/lag boltin a threaded pipe flange to a ceilin joist/rafter...havin a lenght of pipe (determined by a comfortable work height) and usein elbows and a tee....you can have a suspended stand...you wont have to worry about it gettin knocked over..you'll have 360* access...still have floor space to roll around on a stool as i do...and when your done just un-screw it from the ceilin flange and store it in a corner...or mount some spring clips (the type that hold brooms an such) on a wall and snap it in....you could probly fab it out of 1/2 black pipe from the 'Depot or Lowes ....

just a mornin brain storm = too much caffiene.......

hurricane

Sep 20, 2010
america
great idea charlie,I have same situation. Small workspace and lots of tools. So it has to stay organized and compact. and i like the use of threaded pipe for a portable bike stand as it is very versatile. just need some elbows and you can design it to meet your needs.

good tip

solokumba

Nov 24, 2010
Florida
That is a good idea. Right now I have a ceiling pulley system on my back porch for working on the bike, but I never thought about mounting a heavy duty pipe. Something I could easily remove when not needed. Great idea.
...wheels spinning

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
This is more of a work jack than a stand but it serves me well. Made from 3/4" black iron pipe and some scrap 2" angle iron. It has threaded rod adjusters on each side that holds a 15mm socket. Fits all of my bikes. It's sturdy enough to start and run a bike on and I also using it as a truing stand and when installing rear sprockets.
If I need to suspend a bike I have a big 'eye bolt' screwed into a ceiling joist and a nylon strap that holds a motorized bike very easily.
Tom

Attachments

mr.charlie

Jul 27, 2010
tavares florida "lake county"
This is more of a work jack than a stand but it serves me well. Made from 3/4" black iron pipe and some scrap 2" angle iron. It has threaded rod adjusters on each side that holds a 15mm socket. Fits all of my bikes. It's sturdy enough to start and run a bike on and I also using it as a truing stand and when installing rear sprockets.
If I need to suspend a bike I have a big 'eye bolt' screwed into a ceiling joist and a nylon strap that holds a motorized bike very easily.
Tom
nice fab ...i like it..especially the screw/jackbolt w/socket...very well thought out....
....i asked if there could be some consideration for another section on the site for/to display home- shop photos, ideas, homemade tools..work centers....and the like....not so much for the pros/commercial guys.....but the "shade tree low enders"....the "dumpster diver's"....so all these innovative things dont get lost in the everyday threads....wadda ya think?

solokumba

Nov 24, 2010
Florida
nice fab ...i like it..especially the screw/jackbolt w/socket...very well thought out....
....i asked if there could be some consideration for another section on the site for/to display home- shop photos, ideas, homemade tools..work centers....and the like....not so much for the pros/commercial guys.....but the "shade tree low enders"....the "dumpster diver's"....so all these innovative things dont get lost in the everyday threads....wadda ya think?
Great idea.