success, then unsuccess, chain problems mostly

GoldenMotor.com

tire

Sep 29, 2010
College Station, TX
PROBLEM:

started, ran for about 1 mile. throttle was kinda sticky but that isn't an issue right now.
new, standard 415 chain broke midlink (non master link). causes?

IDEAS:

-standard 415 chain simply broke due to being weak (#41 chain is enroute in the mail anyways).

-tension could still be wrong (1/2-3/4" play... just like my pedal chain)

THOUGHTS:

tension was good from everything i've read. angle of engine/sprocket/idler all are inline or very very close. i used a gear lubricant and will pick up some thick grease for it soon.

the chain breaker tool, well, broke kinda and i dno't have as much control over putting links in as i should. i can remove them though fine. probably am going to have a bike shop install my 41 chain and a new pedal chain (415).

it was really fun to ride for that mile and the suspension is coincidentally just what i need for the new weight of the bike. it felt like a little motorcycle alright.

Elixys

Sep 14, 2010
Midland, TX
speaking of chain, i just picked up some 41 chain from the local overhead door company free of charge. showed up there with my bike and a city workshirt and the guy was like here you can have it. beats paying 35 bucks for a new chain any day.