Engine chain not lining up

GoldenMotor.com

lolitsdaelan

Apr 23, 2010
Indianapolis
So I just got a SkyHawk engine, mounted it to the bike, and installed the sprocket. I quickly noticed that the chain does not line up with the sprocket at all, and even runs into the frame itself. How is this supposed to be mounted????

Starchalopakis

May 13, 2010
California
As am I. The chain keeps slipping off the rear drive sprocket. Just an alignment issue I assume? How do I fix this?

edit. and this is just with the clutch in pedaling, havent got her fired up yet.

lolitsdaelan

Apr 23, 2010
Indianapolis
Well I haven't actually fired it up yet, so I'm hoping I'll be OK. I had apparently bent my fender a little when I was painting it, I just had to bend it back a little and it gave me the clearance I needed.

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
most times you'll have to cut the fender for clearance. even if you get it all set up and think it's gonna clear, as soon as you fire it up the chain jumps around and rubs on it.

as far as sprocket to sprocket alignment, it's tricky, but it can be done.

sometimes it's as simple as adding a washer or two between the hub and the frame on the engine side, and other times you might need to actually "spread" the frame.

here's an article on that: Bicycle Frame Spacing

i'm gonna copy and paste the last paragraph in that article, just for a CYA;

"This job is one that isn't for everybody, but it's not rocket science either. Many shops are reluctant to undertake this sort of operation, either because of fear of liability or because they want to sell you new bike. Although it seems fairly alarming to deliberately bend your frame, it is really not that cataclismic an operation, and can be very worthwhile if it allows you to keep riding an old friend, with the advantages of a modern drivetrain."

Last edited:

Cabinfever1977

Mar 23, 2009
Upstate,NY
Most cut a notch in the fender where the chain goes by.
I left out one rubber and put the rear sprocket up against the spokes for a perfect alignment. The chain tensioner also helps the chain to go straight to the rear sprocket.

lolitsdaelan

Apr 23, 2010
Indianapolis
Yeah I had to the take the second rubber isolator out and put the sprocket in backwards (chrome side out). Then with a little work on the tensioner, I managed to get it all to line up pretty well. Although now I have a whole new world of problems, but I'm gonna start a new catch all "daelan is an idiot and here are his questions thread" to keep them all in one place :p