Where to buy cable ends?

GoldenMotor.com

moronic_kaos

Apr 6, 2010
Connecticut
Looking to put together a kit in my garage for shortening throttle, clutch, and especially brake cables. Long cables look and feel so terrible on these bikes.

In the past I've just casted the tips using a piece of 2x4 with a hole drilled in it as a die, but I'd like to start using actual tips to make it a little more professional. Got a solder pot, solder, flux & some cutters (park tool) all picked out, but has anyone figured out where to buy a box of assorted brass cable ends? Google doesn't seem to know what I'm talking about.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Here is some ideas > http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=21321

I'm not sure what you mean by "brass cable ends". If you're talking about the carburetor end of the throttle cable you can use brass tubing, available at most hobby shops. Use tubing with a 1/16" ID, cut to length and soldered to the cable. Some builders wrap a small length of 20 to 24 gage wire, like telephone wire arond the cable and solder it.

For the 'barrel' end your mold will work or you can use 3/16" or 1/4" brass tubing filled with solder and the cable running perpendicular to the barrel length.

Tom

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
I have crimped old spoke nipples to my cable ends. I had taken a 3 speed wheel apart, 26x1-3/8 so that I could get it laced to a mountain bike rim, 26x1.75. Bead diameter is much different.

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
if you need ends with a set screw for the clutch cable and drum brakes (not the barrel end in the lever, the lock down end on the other side) pep boys has brass ones in multiple sizes for a few bucks for a 5 pack.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
if you need ends with a set screw for the clutch cable and drum brakes (not the barrel end in the lever, the lock down end on the other side) pep boys has brass ones in multiple sizes for a few bucks for a 5 pack.
Hobby shops have them too. Look in the model airplane accessories for 'wheel collars'. For cables you'll want one with a 1/16" hole.

They will be either brass or steel, some are even chrome plated. They're used to hold the wheels on the axles of model airplanes.

Tom