New Guy From Mountains of N.C.

GoldenMotor.com

Motorbikermark

Nov 16, 2011
Western N.C.
Just bought my first kit the 2 stroke Z2-80 from Boy Go Fast. With the intent to mount it on a 2011 Huffy Nel Lusso. I'm excited to get started so I bought what seems to be a easy straight forward build (I'm sure this is were everyone chimes in on how there is no such animal, And I'm sure there isn't) For many years I had classic cars, motorcycles, and toys to work on. Over the years children ,mortgage, and basically just trying to make ends meet has replaced the toys and projects. The Motorbikes appeal to me because I don't need a huge garage, The latest and greatest Snap-on tool set, or alot of money. Its almost like the early days of Hot Rodding. A little skill' alot of imagination, and being willing to make a few mistakes, You can build something thats fun and that you can be proud of. Any pointers that anyone can give will be much appreciated. Thanks ahead of time and I'm looking forward to many discussions and adventures with you all in this great hobby of motorbiking.

God Speed, Mark

birdmannn101

Oct 23, 2011
Indianapolis, IN
Welcome aboard Mark, I am sure you'll find everything you need here to help you with your new motorbike. I too have rebuilt motorcycles and classic cars and found that the motorbike keeps me going at my age....Dan

F_Rod81

Dealer
Jan 1, 2011
Denver, CO
Welcome to the forum Mark. Good to hear that you have a project already in the works, let the fun begin, take some pictures and share your project progress with the rest of us, take care. :)

Frank

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
Welcome to the forum Mark. I was restoring a corvette years but wages didn't keep pace with expenses. You can make a lot of parts and brackets for these motorbikes from things you have in the garage or around the house. My front fender bracket is made from a curtain rod holder. You would be amazed at how resourceful these builders are. That is the most fun part of it for me.

Sancho

Sep 27, 2010
Peoria, IL
Hey Mark,

I'm brand new to this forum and motor bicycle building as well! In fact I have the exact same setup as you. I'm looking forward to building and riding!

Best of luck on your build, I'm looking forward to completing mine.

Steve

Motorbikermark

Nov 16, 2011
Western N.C.
Today I built a mock oil tank that I'm going to use to hold my CDI just clean it up some. I know its a 2 stroke no oil reservoir still I think its going to look pretty sweet. Did I mention its made out of 2 cans of baked beans and the top & cap of a plastic bottle.

maintenancenazi

Oct 22, 2011
Asheville
^^ Cool, thats not far away. Anyway I know you will enjoy building yours. I am just finishing up my build as well, A little different than yours, I have mine on a Trek 3700. Basicly to be used as a commuter. You probably know it already, but just be sure to take that engine apart, and inspect that sucker for metal shavings, stripped threads, ect. Mine was FULL of metal inside, not to mention put together without a DROP of assembly lube/oil in the motor!

maintenancenazi

Oct 22, 2011
Asheville
Thanks for the advice, I broke into mine and it looked clean. When I get done we'll have to get together for a cruise.

God Speed, Mark
Sounds like a plan, and good luck with your build! As of now I am finished with mine, just waiting for my bottle of opti-2 oil to get here so I can try and fire this puppy up. The anticipation is really starting to build. Oh well I guess a couple more days won't kill me!

Peace, James

maintenancenazi

Oct 22, 2011
Asheville
Congrats Mark, she's a beauty! That tin can coil container turned out real nice. Looks like I am going to have to find/borrow a camera to takes pics of mine. As I currently don't have a camera! But my build is somewhat similar to biknuts Atomic BB, this is because I substituted to stock gas tank for one of those MSR camp fuel bottles clamped to the rear seat post.

Where as he ran dual bottles, I currently run only one 30oz bottle, still should be good for about 40 miles, or close to it. Plenty of range for the riding I do! I'll post pics as soon as I can get a camera.

Motorbikermark

Nov 16, 2011
Western N.C.
The Blue Ridge Heh? Well that brings up a a problem I'm having seems I have no power climbing even small hills any suggestions? Stock motor & carb, Elevation of about 2600ft, Temperature 45, Fuel/air middle groove, fuel/oil 25:1, running 41 tooth rear. I weigh in at 210lbs.

maintenancenazi

Oct 22, 2011
Asheville
Well Mark that's interesting, Because we seem to be on the same page as well! Took mine out for it's maiden run in yesterday. And the symptoms you describe are like a mirror image of my own! I played with the needle position, didn't really seem to make much difference when I would move it up OR down, but seems slightly better in the middle position. Our oil is a little different, I am running opti-2, but for my first gallon, I mixed it slightly richer at 80-1 verses the usual 100-1.

My only currant hunch is, maybe it's low on compression? ( need to get a tester ) Or could it be that these motors have a HUGE difference between new, and fully broken in? I am going to run it again today, this time going to the store, to see whats up. That is after torquing the head bolts, and carb, and other fasteners, I also noticed that everything seems to loosen up, even WITHOUT running the motor! She is very maintenancey, ( is that a word?) oh well, I guess I will have to live up to my namesake!

If someone with a little more knowlege about what's normal pre break in character of theses engines would chime in, would be muchly apprieciated!!!

Peace, James

Edit, I also have a 41 tooth rear, weigh 225 lbs. And I do think the intake is well sealed. I used Norms method of silicon on intake tube, and new thicker manifold gasket on intake side. This is a BGF kit.

PSS, spark plug color is a nice battleship gray (B5HS), normal good color for running opti-2, from what Im told....

Last edited:

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
Or could it be that these motors have a HUGE difference between new, and fully broken in?
This is most definitely the case, there's a significant & very noticeable change in power as the motor runs in.

Only catch is how long that takes seems to be wildly variable from engine to engine - but the consensus is at least a couple of hundred miles, particularly with the rich mixes/high quality oils.

S'long as your fuel/air mix is set properly w/a tan/brown electrode - I'd reco not bothering to tinker w/the carb trying to get any better performance until after the break in period - you'll drive yerself nuts ;)

Motorbikermark

Nov 16, 2011
Western N.C.
Thanks for the insight I was driving myself crazy wondering what I did wrong! So I guess all I have to do now is ride back and forth in front of my house for 200 miles since that is the only area around here that isn't going straight up hill. Just part of living in the mountains.