Muffler/Exhaust pipe hits pedals

GoldenMotor.com

ncfootballchamp

Aug 29, 2010
USA
How do I work around the fact that when I install the muffler, i can't pedal the bike?

I can think of only one thing and that's to bend the muffler

I have neither the tools nor the knowledge to do this so could/would an auto parts shop do this for me?

please respond with your experiences with this matter

headtrama

Jul 8, 2010
california
sometimes you can rotate the muffler on the bolts enough to clear the pedals .Sometimes you need to bend them a little don't try and bend it with it bolted to the head put it in a vice and do it .

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Never thought of drilling the holes Nougat, purty cool. Gonna try that

I once put a China girl on a Moondawg. Crank just barely tapped the muffler. I got away with kicking it. I am not recommending that but worked as it needed about 7 hairs to clear.

Couldn't find it for you NC. but a member here posted pics of parking his car on the flange and used that as a vise, snork.
Any one remember what thread that was? Too funny but worked for him.

With a vise, you can just lean into it and bend. Aside from steel toed boots, about the best way I have found. But as with all the above posts, lots of folks here who will offer thoughts.

Last edited:

WildAlaskan

Sep 30, 2010
alaska
on my bike i filed grinded my cranks in just enough its not recomended but i havent had any problems

ohh but that was on a poo poo pipe and i also put that in a vice and made it oval in shape where it contacted crank

but i assume yours is stock if i was you find anything to bracee it and bend it by hand if you know some one with a vice or torch borrow it

Black_Moons

Oct 25, 2010
Canada, Bc
you can bend em with a vise, idealy using wood or similar to make 'soft' jaws (the pipe will deform the wood nicely to soften the bend)

Or you can buy a wider crank to make your pedals be wider spaced.