Can only seem to find big engines..bike ideas?

GoldenMotor.com

Seabass

Oct 22, 2016
Colorado
Today I drove 1/2 hour to buy an old 60's steel Schwinn cruiser. I got the and this petite girl carries it down a flight of stairs with one hand comfortably. I told her on the phone I was looking for a heavy steel bike. She told me that the bike was about 45 lbs. I get there its 17 at best. It also said made in China on the frame!!! She said it was made in China in the 60's. Maybe year of the weasel. She is stupid stupid stupid. Thanks for wasting my time with a Walmart bike!!!! I could have done something productive like heroin!!!

Seabass

Oct 22, 2016
Colorado
Gotta go drive 45 mins tomorrow to see a 64 Columbia paperboy special. It is in beautiful shape. All original except for a springer front end. He still has original fork. I hope it's not too beautiful to weld in my mounts. I need to brush up on they're serial numbers. I know how the name plate was for the entire 1960's. Now the only problem I can anticipate is that in the 90's Columbia made alot of retro bikes. I believe that the name plate should have a big c in the middle. If it is were these retro bikes still made in Westfield mass? Or are they China crap.

Last edited:

Seabass

Oct 22, 2016
Colorado
Got the bike, its the real deal. Its a beauty, cont wait to start fitting the 8 hp briggs!!!!!I'll have to start getting pic's!!!

Seabass

Oct 22, 2016
Colorado
Mat i really dig it. I think he has to have giant balls to be running that big Kohler with all that torque down to a rag joint in the spokes. I don't know how I feel about that. I guess it's working for him.

I'm running into a problem mounting the motor. I really don't want to cut the cross bar in the middle, the bike is too cool for that. I'm going to have to lean the engine way forward. Now my lawnmower guy called for me to recycle 12 snowblowers that he can't get fixed(he isn't very good). Heck I got that 8 from him. I'm thinking I'm going to see if he has a 5 hp. They are about 3 inches shorter and should be an easy fit. I don't know I kind want the 8 hp. Havent made up my mind yet.

Last edited:

Tony01

Nov 28, 2012
sf bay area
In the future just ask the seller if a magnet sticks to the frame. Could save you a trip.

I'd put the 8hp in there. I'll tell you this much, about a month ago I drag raced a guy with a stand-up scooter and a large flathead guessing it was an 8hp/300cc and I lost... I have an ohv 212cc with a much less efficient drivetrain, but still at around 50mph he was leading by about 4ft... Maybe if I had a single chain going to the back we'd be about even.. Believe me a stocker 8hp with govnor removed and not much else will be a blast!

Jan 17, 2015
ca.
Photo bucket is down..just keep pics here..heck, I do it on a windows Lumina 8.1..with pic sizer.

Last edited:

Seabass

Oct 22, 2016
Colorado
Took all ducting off the motor. Tried to slim it down to make it fit. Not even close. Going to have to save the 8 hp for a different frame. Got to see if I can get a 5. Almost bought a 212 predator today. Coupon for $96.00! Couldnt do it ive seen way to many POS come out of that store!!!

Watch I'll end up getting one. Just couldnt do it untill this snowblower thing is over.

Last edited:

Seabass

Oct 22, 2016
Colorado
Well I ended up getting a 212 predator 94.99 after coupon. Stripped the motor of all the BS at lunch and fit it to the bike. Its going to fit ok. Going to save the briggs and Tecumseh 8hps for different projects. Havent decided if I should buy a mount or make one. Seems pretty easy to make. Still got to buy 1/8 plate and roll the edges at the shop across from mine. Might be easier to just buy one. Hmmm

Last edited:

Seabass

Oct 22, 2016
Colorado
Disaster!!!! I made a quick cheapo stand from my scrap metal bin. Fitted the motor on and noticed the weld is cracked on the bottom top tube. Now I was looking at the frame closely and noticed that it was the only welded tube all others look brazed. Think im just going to cut out the extra tube. I will send you guys pics tomorrow. Remember this is a 1964 Columbia and has an extra tube. Without this tube in place one of the 8 hp motors will fit i just dont know how much I trust the frame for that power. Might stay with the 212 predator.

Last edited:

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
A head steady from the top of the motor to a couple of points on the frame will spread the load and reduce vibration induced cracking.

MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA
The way I do resize is take it from the mobile device through USB to find it in the DCIM folder for the mobile device upload. Then right click and select open with Microsoft Office Picture Manager. Then I click edit, select Large Size 1024 X 768 and hit OK under original size / new size. Then I close the editor and exit MS OPM. A 1 Mega Byte picture is then usually under 200 Kilo Byte after the resizing and works on MB.com

It may be that you want to keep a high resolution picture so in that case your mobile device still has it left in a high resolution. Also keeping another backup copy high resolution on a PC HDD is what I do as well.

If it is Android I saw this site

http://forums.androidcentral.com/samsung-galaxy-note-10-1-2014/353768-resize-photo.html

I never used any of the apps that resize, but another way maybe to see if emailing a photo to yourself on a mobile device automatically resizes smaller for email or has options for size, but I saw no adjustment on the android phone of mine.

Only if you set the size before taking the pictures then that is easy to do in the camera setup. That is not really best if you want a high resolution back up.

Also is sort of funny is the 2nd to last comment and the moderators reply;)

Last edited:

Seabass

Oct 22, 2016
Colorado
Removed the governor yesterday. Mounted my engine today. Had gotten a universal mount. What junk!!! I won't even take a pic cause I'm embarrassed!!!! I'm getting 1/8 x 4 flat stock Monday so I can make one. I knew i should have made one but I convinced myself it be ok to order the universal mount.

MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA
http://motorbicycling.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=44097&d=1327008169

http://motorbicycling.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=44096&d=1327008064

The above picture links is a while back before a lot changed on my bike, except that the gussets welded are the same.

I put gusset shims of sort under the motor mount plate to even out weight stress. Also weld metal plate on the frame top tube to mid (where I have those) an to bottom tube in front of engine (not connected to engine though) to spread stresses in frame out.

My engine is 1/2 the hp of that 212 and checking with others that have had issues using a 212 to see what is best.

Recently I saw posted where using the other mounting points on the engine of the 212 had caused engine to crack the case. I suspect the base engine bolts have a better strength but the ones otherwise that are there for the gas tank seemed to be a down fall.

Last edited:

xXNightRiderXx

Jan 12, 2017
Boise
For the PC, I find GIMP 2 is the best. Adobe photoshop quality at an open source availability. I will be putting an HF 212 on my Kent, and a jackshaft. I have the need for speed, and I want to drag my bike when it's done. Anyone know where I can do that in Las Vegas? Seabass, what you should have done with that crack in the frame is try rebrazing the joint. M T, of course the mount for the gas tank and exhaust arent going to be as strong as the actual engine mounts, they don't have to hold under as much stress. Really, all the gas tank mounts have to do is flex to absorb some vibes and bumps while holding the tank steady. And to the OP, if you think 8 hp is big, try this bike on for size!

http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=62696