Best frame for dirt-bike-esque 2 stroke kit

GoldenMotor.com
Mar 16, 2016
america
I'm planning on getting a 2 stroke 66/88cc kit with a SBP jackshaft and i want to basically have a mini dirt bike. I'm looking for a base bike that's 7 speed and maybe has fat tires. If anyone's ridden in loose dirt with a normal mountain bike vs a fat tire your opinion on whether a fat tire is necessary would be greatly appreciated. Basically looking for a good starter bike that's not 400 dollars. Thanks!

Cylon

Jun 26, 2015
Maine
Having a fat tire bike will give you better traction in corners and a smoother ride but in turn will be slower and cost more to fix flats and busted rims, I find myself breaking rims every 1-2k miles just from ridding but I'm pretty ruff on my bikes.

For a fat tire bike I would reccomend getting the Mongoose Terrex. Keep in mind most fat-bikes even with a shift kit will need mods because the shift kit might rub the rear tire.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/27.5-Mongoose-Terrex-Men-s-Bike/45146057

I just used a Kent Glendale and put better breaks on it, off road Kevlar tires so I dont get flats every trip like I was. People talk a lot of smack about using walmart bikes but its not that bad if you replace the crap parts like breaks rims and tires etc other then that they provide some nice frames. I normally only replace the rear rim when I get their bikes.

Heres a pic of mine;

Keep in mind a fat tire bike will be very slow. Even putting a solid tube in my 26x1.95 rear wheel slowed my bike down to the point where I went out and spent the extra 50 dollars per tire on high quality tires.

The engine is very small and weight impacts them a lot, personally I would stick with a generic steel frame mountain bike with front suspension, if you really want a dirt bike buy one, but these will never be like dirt bikes. The lack of rear suspension really makes bikes with fat or regular tires a really rough ride when you add a motor to the equation, but still fun. You might be able to find a TTR 125 for 500 dollars if you look around enough.

Here's a video I found and enjoy a lot of just a old junkie mountain bike on a trail, they do well with just a regular bike. Love this! (Poor Mans Dirtbike)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tohkSzrcJLs

Last edited:

MotorBicycleRacing

Jul 28, 2010
SoCal Baby!!!
www.facebook.com
I'm planning on getting a 2 stroke 66/88cc kit with a SBP jackshaft and i want to basically have a mini dirt bike. I'm looking for a base bike that's 7 speed and maybe has fat tires. If anyone's ridden in loose dirt with a normal mountain bike vs a fat tire your opinion on whether a fat tire is necessary would be greatly appreciated. Basically looking for a good starter bike that's not 400 dollars. Thanks!
WildBill's full suspension race bike.
GT LTS

Mar 16, 2016
america
Cylon, thanks for all the info, i found a walmart priced bike or two on amazon and ebay that look good that I'll probably go with. Motorbycicleracing, that bike looks sweet. Exactly what i would want but well out of my price range unfortunately, I am but a poor college student ;)

Cylon

Jun 26, 2015
Maine
Cylon, thanks for all the info, i found a walmart priced bike or two on amazon and ebay that look good that I'll probably go with. Motorbycicleracing, that bike looks sweet. Exactly what i would want but well out of my price range unfortunately, I am but a poor college student ;)

That bike stock that I showed in the pic was $89 and I got the motor for $109 on eBay to just to get running before getting tires, which you could get that for free of a old bike. Your looking at $198 bucks and it held up great to some abuse and we mostly trail ride and travel on fields.

Also to be honest all the hp parts I out on mine didn't do much...i didn't gain much acceleration but top end went up 7-8 mph. Stock the bike goes about 32 which is plenty fast I've noticed with mine high speeds feel scarry... My bike starts to feel unstable at 35-38 but it can cruise at that. I've hit 41 on a slight down hill road and the motor doesn't sound very good like it's over revving, makes a hollow sound like it's hit a limit and pushing more i think would blow it. I only keep my bike pinned about 10-20 seconds at a time when it's going that fast. I tested this here in Maine when it was 32f outside but when it's warm it looses power.

Last edited:

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
I'm planning on getting a 2 stroke 66/88cc kit with a SBP jackshaft and i want to basically have a mini dirt bike
Nice choice, I've build over 20 2-stroke shifters.
Gears change everything ;-}
http://kcsbikes.com/KCsBuilds.asp?motor=2-stroke&Drive=Yes

I'm looking for a base bike that's 7 speed and maybe has fat tires.
If anyone's ridden in loose dirt with a normal mountain bike vs a fat tire your opinion on whether a fat tire is necessary would be greatly appreciated.
Basically looking for a good starter bike that's not 400 dollars. Thanks!
If you want something nice for street riding that does fine off pavement the Sun Crusier works nice on dirt.

They like gas too ;-}

You can't do any serious off-roading with it, but it handled the trails in those mountains by me and I had a blast on the thing.

I rode it all over in the grass and with those fat street tread tires only inflated to 20# it barley made a mark on the grass.

They are hard to find though, and not cheap, ~$550.

This Black one is all could find.
http://www.bikeattack.com/sun-crusher-men-fat-cruiser-2013/http://motorbicycling.com//www.pinterest.com/pin/create/extension/

Mar 16, 2016
america
Cylon the only place i could find that bike was on ebay for 550. I found similar ones for around 150 but nothing for 90 bucks. Where did you get one so cheap?

Last edited:
Mar 16, 2016
america
The bike in the link is substantially different than the one you have, but I've found a few like yours that are a good price. Thanks for the info :)