98cc Villiers on a 1945 Sears Roebuck

GoldenMotor.com

MotoMagz

Aug 2, 2010
Michigan
Cobbble hmm I think you mean cool! Everything is spaced out so you can see what's going on. When you can see the chains and sprockets un covered and the mechanics of the drive it is awsome..and you have awsome. Now when everything is packed in with a chain or belt coming out that's cobbled. Your vision is unique,cool and clean. I bet if you move the bike to a spot like in front of the garage door and then take a picture it will be clear it's awsome.

Harold_B

May 23, 2012
Grand Rapids, MI
Thanks guys. It's growing on me. Maybe that little remaining dissatisfaction I have will keep me working toward a better result and that's not such a bad thing I guess. I've been ordering parts and other little things like decals and pin stripes with my goal of having this ready to ride in the spring. The weld in place sprocket for the engine came in the mail today but a last minute road trip took the place of garage time. Temps are supposed to drop again tomorrow so getting on with it may have to wait.

Harold_B

May 23, 2012
Grand Rapids, MI
Days like yesterday make me giddy for spring. It was still really wet in the garage from condensation but the sunshine was awesome. Slipped on the sprocket for the drive chain from the engine to the tranny. I thought I would need to have the Villiers sprocket turned down but a 1.5" I.D. sprocket slides right on. I'll need to put a flat on the O.D. Of the Villiers sprocket for the set screw but I think this will work out fine. I haven't calculated the gear ratios as yet either which seems a little backwards in the order I'm doing things but mostly it's just a matter of being lazy. Spinning the clutch in first gear has the pulley driving the rear wheel barely moving so this might just be a stump puller in low. That's what I want in a general sense to get a relatively heavy bike and my big behind moving from a dead stop at the base of a hill.

image.jpeg

Also getting a different shifter done. I didn't like the linkage that I'd made before and thought I should be making one while I'm getting the rest of the drive train in place so that I'm sure I have room for everything.

image.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: Mark Murphy

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
Harold that's some serious build you're working on and it appears you've a good handle on the powertrain at this point. I'm really liking the the chains exposed as they are, but know guards are also favored by many and can also look great on the classic roadsters especially. Keep at building as time and elements permit 'cause Spring is coming and riding trumps fabrication, most days. Rick C.

Harold_B

May 23, 2012
Grand Rapids, MI
Yesterday was very springlike weather wise and today is supposed to be the same. I hope to spend some time in the garage today too. Added the bracket to the frame for the front jackshaft mount. As usual it's hard to see detail in my dark photos but it's there and I'm happy with it. If all goes well today it'll be fender braces or floorboards.

image.jpeg

For any of the other Villiers builders out there you might take a look at this NOS jug:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/172526034793?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Last edited:
Reactions: Mark Murphy

Harold_B

May 23, 2012
Grand Rapids, MI
Thanks Moto. Wish this weather was here to stay but I'm not holding my breath. Limited time in the garage today with family dropping by. Priorities and I'm good with that. Did get a good start on the fender braces though. Maybe I can squeeze an hour in here or there to make some more progress before it gets cold again.

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
Glad to see you back to it Harold. With apologies I use some lyrics from rock 'n roll philosophy..."any progress is good progress so I take what I can get, yes I take what I can get"...So we ain't seen nothin' yet, right?
Rick C.

Harold_B

May 23, 2012
Grand Rapids, MI
Right on Rick. There's a lyric for every situation and the one rolling around in my head lately has been ''I ain't got no boss when no one's around" but then maybe that's a subconscious thing from browsing for Lucas horns on eBay!

Harold_B

May 23, 2012
Grand Rapids, MI
I've been super tied up with work lately and it's not easing up any. That's a good thing really although it doesn't leave much time for tinkering. I did manage to get my wheels tried and tensioned properly at the LBS and I've been doing little things as I can. This weekend I coated the tank with Caswell and got some primer on it. Also painted the horn and some parts on the engine. Little here and a little there....

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Last edited:

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
Will you video the finished bike? That lovely little futtering and plungplungplung noise says summer to me. I suppose it's to do with old council lawn mowers :)

Harold_B

May 23, 2012
Grand Rapids, MI
Absolutely Ludwig. Considering I started this thread in October of 2015 you'd think it'd be running by now but I'm just really slow. The little mower engine is looking pretty though. I was so busy enjoying myself in the garage today I forgot to bid on a NOS kick start lever for my gearbox. Kind of disappointed about missing out on that but I guess I'll get over it.

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
It's finished when you say it is Harold not because of a circled date on the calender. I know you're enjoying the time invested and it shows in the bike at each stage of progress. Rick C.

Harold_B

May 23, 2012
Grand Rapids, MI
Thanks gents. Thanks for the link Ludwig. Lots of interesting stuff there. I'll send a request to join and see what the near future brings before posting. The NOS kick start lever went for about $150US with shipping which is a bit more than I'm interested in paying. I can have mine rechromed for a lot less even with the heavy pitting. There are others on the 'Bay with lousy chrome but little in the way of pits so I might take another look at those.

I hear you Rick. I'm not giving myself any grief over the slow pace I'm just missing the time in the garage. I sit at a computer all day (and often at night) working on projects that can be really frustrating / challenging and messing around with mechanical stuff gets me out of my head. Sometimes I just daydream about working on it! I'm lucky to have a hobby that keeps me interested on so many levels.

Harold_B

May 23, 2012
Grand Rapids, MI
Short break in the day where I spent time on details. Not that everything I'm doing is "news worthy" but I like to pop in to say "hey, I'm still at it!". I actually really enjoy detailing the little things even when they're not going to be seen later. The carb got some attention and I got back at the transmission, specifically the clutch. The little wire wheel attachments for the Dremel tool work really well for removing the rust in the tight spaces near and between the cork pads. I also took some 1000 grit paper to faces of the pads to clean them up. One side down, three to go. Before and after:

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

By the way, a little Villiers like mine for sale on the FB: https://www.facebook.com/groups/489195994594350/

Last edited:

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
Thanks for posting when you can Harold, monumental or no. It's good to show the care that goes into good builds. Not even close to all labor invested into these projects is cool stuff, much is just dirty grunt work that ultimately lays the foundation for some monumental outcomes.

Some of us are old enough and slow enough to use the occassional post to hint that we haven't forgotten why we went to the garage in the first place, like a sticky note to oneself on the bathroom mirror. Rick C.

Harold_B

May 23, 2012
Grand Rapids, MI
Hey great point Rick! Note to self- don't forget in the rush to wrap up that the cotter pin in the primer plunger broke and was left out. Dang....

Might be hard to notice so I'll mention it again that there's a link at the bottom of my last post to s FB group with a Villiers for sale.