heavy duty pull start info need

GoldenMotor.com

wan37

May 29, 2011
Illinois
I have a 80cc engine and the pull starts almost impossible. So I bought a heavy duty pull start and I can get it to start it but the cord rips back in the casing and kills your hand. It's like when the motor starts it doesn't release the pull start it just rips back in and breaks the cord or kills your arm or hand. It worked fine until I had a issue with the small bevel gear on the clutch side key way sheered. So I put another key way in or woodruff key what ever the name is. I used the hand impact driver this time on the screw the holds the little gear on . That worked good now the pull start is acting weird. Any help would be a great.

Last edited:

wan37

May 29, 2011
Illinois
I know someone on here has had the pull start problems, so wish somebody would give me some vice on this thread.

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
wish I could help ya on this but I'm just scratching head......... not sure what to say on this one.

since it's been a few days now I'm hoping you have this resolved.

Map
reddd

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
Is this a manual clutch or centrifugal? If manual, are you starting with the clutch engaged or disengaged? If engaged, I'd say that's your problem. If its a centrifugal, my pullstart on my 4 stroke does the same thing from time to time. I think its just the angle that the rotor catches the pawls on when the engine kicks over. Not sure though.

wan37

May 29, 2011
Illinois
I have it on a 80cc engine with no centrifugal clutch just the pull start,
I also squeeze the clutch lever in, it's really hard to pull.

Huffydavidson

STREETRACER/MANUFACTURER
Jan 29, 2012
st.louis,mo.
Ok, I've seen this once . It maybe caused by slop in the crankshaft machining. Some crank shafts are machined a little loose to the ID of the bearings this causes the crankshaft to be able to slide side to side maybe an eighth inch in the motor. I've read about this year somewhere while back I ordered a PK 80 from piratecycles and it had crankshaft had slop you could grab the magnet or the bevel gear and pull crankshaft in-n-out maybe an eighth inch in the motor I couldn't believe it. Some manufacturer's will put a shim washer in there to take up that's slack but apparently the pk-80 I got from pirates cycles they did not so once I discovered this I sold the motor . I don't think you can shim from the outside because the shim will be riding on the crank case seal and you most certainly do not want that . If you have a washer between the pull starter Cup and the magnet take that out that may give you what you need to keep your pullstater from hanging up. That's as much help as I can be good luck and get back and let us know.

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
If the clutch is super hard to pull, then its too tight. I think the pullstart recoils too hard from giving it too much throttle when pulling. Ever since I stopped giving it gas while pulling the rope, it no longer tries to rip my arm off.