Harbor Freight 212cc on Motoped Cruzer?

GoldenMotor.com

Motoped Sprint

Jul 4, 2015
'Murica
Hello there guys!

I was wondering if such a thing is even feasible?
Thinking about buying the 212 death row 4 stroker and putting it on the Motoped Cruzer as a custom build pretty soon. However, my brother explained that such an engine would simply be too big?

What do you all think?

Barnfresh

Sep 5, 2011
Nor-Cal
I've benn toying with something along the same lines. Fabbing up a mount to install one of my Briggs World Formula engines into my Motoped Pro. The adaptor mount I have in mind would be a double bar design where you could still utilize a billet Kart mount, sliding it forward and back to adjust chain tension or side to side for chain alignment to the jackshaft. Cool thing about a design like this is that you could then use any number of industrial based or kart specific four stroke engines including the 6.5 hp Harbor Freight.

boxcar

Dec 18, 2014
Astoria OR
The HF 212 is a good industrial engine. Having sed that it is by no means the equal to a Honda or Yamaha flat single style engine. Even a clone 125cc FS style engine will be better suited to the Motoped format.
It's lighter , smoother , actually has a good transmission , and best of all was designed for that bike...And is a very very reliable long lived engine.
If one was to spend the $$$$ to get a real Honda 110 or 125 cc FS style engine it would probably out run the 212.....Or could be modified to do so very easily by converting from the 22 mm carb to a 26 mm carb and a new pipe.... Ask me how I know.........
Just my 2 cents....

Last edited:

Barnfresh

Sep 5, 2011
Nor-Cal
Ok I'll bite.....how do you know? Not that I disagree. Oh and BTW what is FS style? I'm not familiar with that term.

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
"You can get a good solid Lifan 125cc 4 speed auto clutch for $300.
http://tboltusa.com/store/black-lifa...cal-p-632.html
And it just bolts right on. "
-I think the 212cc Predator engine with CVT can make a nice replacement for an older dual purpose motorcycle with a dual cradle frame.
-On the motoped, I gotta' agree with Mike B. Bolting on a larger LiFan horizontal clone engine is easy and cheap.

boxcar

Dec 18, 2014
Astoria OR
Ok I'll bite.....how do you know? Not that I disagree. Oh and BTW what is FS style? I'm not familiar with that term.
I build race bikes.....And have for 40 years .....

An fs is short for flat style ( slang ) . The engine is actually known as a GX.
They come in Honda CT's , Crf's , XL's XR's as well as many clones , pocket bikes and ATV's. And of course the Motoped .....

Literally tons of HP parts and tech available for these engines.

They have been the standard of the industry for small displacement bikes since the 1950's.

Parts are readily available nearly anywhere.

Nearly half the weight of the HF 212.

Was designed as a motorcycle engine , not a lawn mower engine............

These engines also have quite an extensive racing resume...

Barnfresh

Sep 5, 2011
Nor-Cal
Ok I get it flat style, in my racing circle we refer to the horizontal Honda or Chinese clones such as the Lifan 125cc as an E22 or simply a Pit Bike engine, where the industrial engines like Harbor Freight 6.5hp or Predator 212cc are commonly referred to as a "GX style" as they are clones of the Honda GX series industrial engines.

As far as weight goes the engines are very close in weight. My Lifan and Piranha E22 engines weigh in around 40lbs where as my Honda GXs, HF clone and Briggs W/F engines are closer to 35-37lb. Let me know which "flat style" engine is nearly half the weight of the HF 212, I'd love to have a 18-20lb engine for my Motoped!

ironknight

Jul 26, 2014
quartzsite az
wowsers, im in trouble,,?
one of my first attempts at building a M/B will be the 212 death row in a 29 genesis frame,
oh well,,,it will work one way or the other !- it's just a matter of RUM !

Barnfresh

Sep 5, 2011
Nor-Cal
Not at all, it will be a challenge but it's perfectly doable and I'm sure you will figure it out. Be sure to keep us updated on your build!

ironknight

Jul 26, 2014
quartzsite az
WILL DO,-BUT- I will be gusseting the aluminum frame as well,- it may be a while before I tackle THAT big boy.
I think I will build the smaller 4strokes first ! learn from them and heal the busted knuckles, before I tackle the BEAST!
yeah, I may think slow--but at least I THINK LOL...

boxcar

Dec 18, 2014
Astoria OR
My bad I transposed my brain . the gx is the Honda industrial the flat is an E22.
Sorrrrrry. My bad . I should read my posts better...
The rest holds true.
The gx max RPM is 3800 .
The E is 7800. Nearly double.....
The gx harbor freight 212 ( Honda clone) is 6.5 hp.
The E22 style Lifan 140 cc ( Honda clone ) 1s 12 hp ( again nearly double at close to half the displacement)
The weight issue you mention ?
The HF engine is 38lbs with no trans. or clutch. Now add these and check the weight again.....
The E22 is 36 lbs with trans and clutch.....Dry I just put one on the scale .
Any of the E22 style engines will bolt directly into the Motoped frame and controls without mods....
The 212 will require many mods .
The end results will be what they will be.....
Granted , the 212 is cheaper but as someone mentioned earlier, you are talking about a Motoped . Not a cheap option to begin with....
By the time you manage to get a HF212 to perform similar to a LF 140 E22 ( if that is possible )and squeeze it into the Motoped , you probably won't save a dime........
The one sure bet is that you will loose reliability.

Last edited:

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
The last vehicle I would ever think of mounting a 212cc Predator, would be on a MotoPed. Being not (remotely for any reason what so ever) designed for that type engine you are just wasting your time and money.

Build the MotoPed with the engines they ARE designed for and have a BLAST!

(Just my thoughts without really thinking laff )

Barnfresh

Sep 5, 2011
Nor-Cal
The last vehicle I would ever think of mounting a 212cc Predator, would be on a Bicycle. Being not (remotely for any reason what so ever) designed for that type engine you are just wasting your time and money.

Build the Bicycle with the pedals they ARE designed for and have a BLAST!

(Just my thoughts without really thinking laff )

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
The last vehicle I would ever think of mounting a 212cc Predator, would be on a Bicycle. Being not (remotely for any reason what so ever) designed for that type engine you are just wasting your time and money.

Build the Bicycle with the pedals they ARE designed for and have a BLAST!

Yeah.......and it's race proven! dance1

Barnfresh

Sep 5, 2011
Nor-Cal
My point exactly! Your bike is one of the most awesome builds ever, with the race credentials to back it up. In my opinion it borderlines on art. That's why I couldn't believe you of all people would tell someone with a dream of creating something truly unique not to waste their time and money doing it. When I built my 1st Motoped I didn't want to be like the rest of the sheeple running those heavy E-22 clone motors with clunky transmissions, I wanted more. More horsepower or more torque. Initially I was going to go big horsepower with a 45hp XR50 motor but changed my mind and went with a high torque setup instead. I'm pretty pleased with the 180ft lbs of torque my Motoped makes, it's a blast to ride and I personally don't give a rat's a$$ if anyone thinks I wasted my time and/or money.