Typical top speed......

GoldenMotor.com

X Ray

Mar 20, 2014
Austin
I say stick to the plan and get a shift kit.
I absolutely agree. I think the shift kit is awesome. Glad that there is one available. It's in the mail headed my way. I started the thread wondering what some of the guys were seeing in top speed between shift kit vs no shift kit.

But I do appreciate everyone's suggestions. Thanks guys.

Theon

Jan 20, 2014
FNQ Australia
I plan to run a 203mm disc beside a 39t sprocket with 5mm gap and a pocket bike caliper. Both sharing the same 6 bolt to a HD hub.
By mounting the caliper inside the chain stays, everything should clear.
On my other bike, similar set up, but 36t and 180mm disc, this will run a rag joint and screw on disc adapter to a flip flop style hub made for running a disc.
Still waiting on the discs, but will post up photos when they arrive.
I have shift kit on another bike, has probably dropped potential top speed a little, but does 70 Km/hr.
great for no pedal starts, but I miss the engine braking.

Last edited:

Jumpa

Aug 12, 2011
Cape Cod
The rear disc brake assembly is located where the rear gear from the engine kit would need to mount. So I'm not able to use the engine kit on my bike without a shift kit.
I had this same issue with my Ironhorse I simply swapped the rear tire and added a simple V Brake system on capped off mounts. I didn't notice if you mention it but, what kind of bike are you using for the build?

X Ray

Mar 20, 2014
Austin
Thanks for posting that! I have a 2011 Trek 4300 with a 16" frame. If the shift kit jack shaft assembly doesn't fit, I'll have to go that route.

DudeZXT

Jun 20, 2010
Lexington, KY
2 weeks ago, I rode my bike 5.5 miles to the Kentucky Horse Park and hit 43MPH going down a hill. Prior to the hill, I had hit 41. Both times, gas came foaming out of the cap of the gas tank (maybe I had it too full?).

As I was riding, the gas poured out enough to soak my pant legs and shoes. After hitting 43, I noticed that no matter the speed gas kept dripping from the tank. I guess the vibration it caused either pulled one of the mounting studs enough to make it leak or a questionable weld on the fitting collar came loose.

I have a K&N filter, have cleaned all engine ports with a dremel tool, and have the rear sprocket upgrade (25 tooth?).

Believe me or not, I don't care. I remember all the drama and people not believing others' speed posts, but I'm not here to impress - just to inform of my experience. Thankfully, I have another engine kit still in the box and was able to replace my gas tank with it, although I would love to have a higher capacity tank and in PLASTIC. I would also love to hear of any experiences with the expansion chamber exhausts and if they help in acceleration or top-end.

I'm hoping to load my bike trailer with camping gear sometime and see how it goes.

Thanks.

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
Your gas was foaming from vibration caused by over revving.
Doing stuff like that will get you a busted engine too, especially downhill.

massdrive

Oct 3, 2013
Las Vegas
I must be missing something because I have serious skills and a seriously modified china 66cc (there are no 80cc china engines) bolted into a seriously high quality 26" bike and the best I can achieve is 35mph on level pavement in a full racer tuck. I was running a 36tooth sprocket on an adaptor and no shift kit. In the process I lost way to much torque and had to peddle to much. I went back to a 40t and a very quick 0 to 32 mph top speed with no tuck. I can climb and accelerate up most hills and I can accelerate hard out of a curve. At about 20mph I can tug up on the bars and twist the throttle to pull the front wheel up with out peddling. My bike cruses real good at 26 mph and with a simple twist of the throttle I can zoom right up to 32 mph while remaining comfortably seated.

My goal is to cruse at 35 mph...

I met a guy a few weeks ago and he was riding a cruiser with a brand new box stock 66cc china girl and drive train. The bike looked great. He swore up and down it did 40mph, but wouldn't ride along side me to prove it. Later I saw his bike on craigslist claiming it had a 80cc and went 40mph...

16v4nrbrgr

Mar 17, 2012
North Bay
My top speed on my OCC with a HT was 32 mph, it was a PK80 without mods, and I think I was running against redline, not drag due to the characteristics of how it ran at top speed, plus the 44t on the 22" rear tire diameter. Some guys have maneaged 50+ mph on a HT but have done almost every possible power modification. I've strayed away from 66cc HT's but one thing I do miss is the good torque that the displacement at a low compression provides, and hill climbing ability of the motors when pedal asssisted to keep the fire lit.

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
Your gas was foaming from vibration caused by over revving.
Doing stuff like that will get you a busted engine too, especially downhill.
I am a long cry from a Chinese engine kit. Reving the heck out of my engine is perfectly normal for me. Try about 12,000 rpms.. No foam baby! :)

Jumpa

Aug 12, 2011
Cape Cod
It ain't cheep, but here is a whole kit:
http://shop.jakebike.com/product.sc...44B.m1plqscsfapp02?productId=107&categoryId=1
I have no personal experience with it, I just know that it exists.

If you are more of a DIY type, look up a "top hat adapter" to space the disc and sprocket apart from each other. Your caliper choice, mounting, axle spacing, ect are all up to you.
Did you know that the link you posted to Jake's is owned and operated by the actor Jake Busey Son of The great Gary Busey's himself.

I love both of these guys I think I've seen just about every movie each one of them have been in.

He "Jake" is an avid Motor bicyclist and has contributed quite a bit to the hobby also. He has a bunch of videos on you tube under his sir name Jake Busey

massdrive

Oct 3, 2013
Las Vegas
Ya I'm ready to move beyond the china girl. I have a HF predator on the shelf I bought on sale for $75. Although I do like hi revving 2 strokes...

Jumpa

Aug 12, 2011
Cape Cod
I want one of these KTM's so bad I can feel it
A bit pricey for a couple who live pay checks to pay checks, yet not completely unobtainable

Does anyone know what this 49 CC 9 hp bad boy does as a comfortable cruising speed?. also whats top end with a stock bike set up

By cruising speed I mean in its present condition will do 32 MPH
I cruise at 18 - 22 mph at least every time I look down at the speed o that's where it is

Like the other guy said in an earlier post here Id like to have my cruising speed upped a bit to say 30 - 33 mph with out feeling like I'm riding a supercharged jack hammer on wheels

I think this is the same motor Goat Herder is using but I'm not sure
HEY Goat herder ... do you have any more pics of that beautiful machine of yours ? Please!!!& Thank you either way

usflg

Attachments

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
They do not make my Italion motor I use any more. Some used complete motor bikes can be found for their motor. The motor you posted is a Chinese clone. Going to these particular engines is a bit expensive. You get a way better performing engine. They are motor cross noisy. Keeps me and traffic clear of each other.

Yet I suggest a American made aftermarket clutch even for that Clone. ''Tomar'' https://www.google.com/search?q=Tom...&hl=en#channel=fe&hl=en&q=tomar+clutch+ktm+50 They are about 400 dollers for the clutch . Style clutch works like a dream come true tho!

16v4nrbrgr

Mar 17, 2012
North Bay
If you gear the bike for a top speed of approximately 48 mph and add a hardened washer under each clutch puck stud in the stock clutch to make it engage earlier without preload the stock clutch will work very reliably with negligible wear. Just make sure to try to keep it cool because the heat kills the inductor coils in the magnetos, you can do an ohmmeter test to see if they're ok, per the KTM bible pdf.

X Ray

Mar 20, 2014
Austin
UPDATE:

TOTAL BUMMER.

My 16" bike frame is too small. The shift kit bracket and motor wont fit inside my frame. I knew this might be an issue, but I wanted to at least give it a try. I really wanted this shift kit.

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
UPDATE:

TOTAL BUMMER.

My 16" bike frame is too small. The shift kit bracket and motor wont fit inside my frame. I knew this might be an issue, but I wanted to at least give it a try. I really wanted this shift kit.
Just get a bigger framed bike or at least a design that will give you the room you need if you really are head set on having a shifter bike.

Map