Yet another forum for yet another project. In 4 help from southern Minnesota

GoldenMotor.com

05LGT`

Aug 30, 2012
New Ulm, MN
Age 20

I feel bad for the ppl who respond to "online forums" w/ confusion. I've skimmed through this forum & have found myself in a wealth of knowledge!

I'm also on nasioc.com, legacygt.com, legacygt.org, diyma.com, & caco just to name a few.

^I love my scooby, & audio. SQ Guru to be exact.

Anyways, I came across the bike below (check link) & want to duplicate it. If anyone can point me in the right direction, that'd be awesome!

http://www.flickriver.com/photos/22686439@N08/2695941934/

Thanks!

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
The good news, that's a fairly clean setup. Not a lot of homemade custom parts it looks like. That long-spring saddle might be difficult though. It looks like a rare piece to me, but I could be wrong. Anyway, most of the ads on the side of the page are vendors who sell motor kits. The front forks are what are called springer forks, and Venice Motor Bikes carries them with a disc brake setup for around $200. Alternatively, www.bikebuyers.com also carries a less expensive non-disc brake version for around $35. I do not know what that gas tank came off of, but ebay has plenty of used gas tanks for sale. I do not know exactly what bike that is, but the frame style is called a beach cruiser. I bought my cruiser frame at walmart and upgraded some of the parts.

05lgt

Aug 30, 2012
New Ulm, MN
Thanks guys! I'm 05LGT. I changed my pasword, & it had it sent to me via email. I tried logging in, but it didn't work. I just made a new account.

I'll have to do some researching to see what kind of frame it is. If anyone knows, please notify.

Thank you very much bigbutterbean

05lgt

Aug 30, 2012
New Ulm, MN
Okay guys, I have some more info on the bike. It's a "board track racer" oriented bicycle.

I clicked under the comment section & found this info:

Tires: 2.25" x 26" Quick Bricks

The tank is an old Wassel Trials tank.

The bike was made by Spooky Tooth Cycles.

I hopped on Spooky Tooth Cycles, but they no longer carry the frame. Does anyone know any great hosts for a "board track racer" oriented bicycle?

Last edited:

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
board track racer is now more commonly referred to as a period style than as a frame style, although there are some who do build true board track frames. That is not a board track frame, it is a cruiser frame as I stated earlier. There are different variations of cruiser frames, cantilever being a type where the chainstays become double tubes running up to the head tube. that frame is not a cantilever frame, but i do not know what it is called. it is a cruiser though. and the springer forks are also for cruisers, not correct for board trackers. board trackers have different forks. just saying if you want to build a board tracker, build a board tracker. if you want to copy the bike in the picture you linked to, its not a board tracker. Board trackers, or board track racers, were named for the type of track they were driven on, which was literally made of wooden planks. Board track racing was popular in the 1900's and 1920's, and all sorts of vehicles were raced on them, from bicycles to early motorcycles to even automobiles. Due to the increasing steepness of the tracks, there were many fatalities of both competitors and spectators. board track racing was largely banned in the US because of fatalities. The bike you linked the picture of could not even be called board track inspired. if you do a google image search for board track racer, you should be able to see why.

adastra

Aug 25, 2012
Tennessee
Looks a bit more rat-rod than board track racer. Modify the seapost (love that sprung saddle) to sit further back, put some long apes mounted nearly horizondal, and replace the tank with an old motorcycle tank or fabricate a double ended torpedo tank, and it would be much more btr looking.

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
uh, no. btr's did not have ape hangers. they had upside down handlebars where the ends of the bars pointed nearly straight towards the ground. ape hangers are for rat rods.

05lgt

Aug 30, 2012
New Ulm, MN
I can't afford a genuine board track racer, so I guess it's going to be more of a replica. However, it'd be really neat to build the bike w/ vintage parts vs buying "new." -I feel it'll give it more character that way.

Yes, def the seat needs to be lowered & set back.

I'm heading off to the scrap yard to look for some old frames!

maurtis

Dec 14, 2011
Kyle, TX
Welcome!

I think that seat is the Victor/hairpin style from Rideable Replicas, item 6620: http://www.hiwheel.com/parts/index.htm

And the others are right, there is not really much BTR about that bike. It is a nice, clean cruiser, though!

Enjoy reading and learning, I do the same when I join forums. I spend more time searching through this forum than reading new posts, lol. So much to learn and the search engine is great.

Once again, welcome!