Motorbicycling.com Magizine

GoldenMotor.com

killercanuck

Dec 17, 2009
Wallaceburg ON
Yea, once you factor in the cost of printer cartridges it could be about the same price + the collating/binding work. I remember some magazines(old hotrod etc) would just do a colour cover, and have a colour page here and there, then a centerfold pic to hang up.

I'd get quotes from your local printshops, and Kinko's to help decide.

Yea that pic was a 'Must Post for the Guys' :)

Cool Vid SchwinnTF, great advertisement, the 404's were kinda funny :p

I'd be glad to help out with Proof-reading/editing to english from internetese, if nobody else wants to. :)

killercanuck

Dec 17, 2009
Wallaceburg ON
Oh, been thinking about ideas for other articles too:

-Shop of the Month(issue) -could be pics/interview from pro shops like Jim's, to shadetree mechanics working in a cluttered garage like 2Doors :)

-Builder of the Month -from 'Joe to Pro', interviews with pro builders - how they started/got where they are... (by Pro I mean anyone who's built more than 10 bikes to sell). Or just fanatic home builders too

-Kludge of the Month -how not to do things, like 'this is priceless' http://motorbicycling.com/f3/priceless-episode-ii-18074.html

-Tips of the Month -how to properly do things, from setting C-clip, carb mounting, to front mounts and chain tensioners, chain lengthening/shortening, what to(and not to) use JB Weld on, etc

-Pro Tips -proper port matching, lapping heads after blown gaskets, fixing broken studs/stripped threads, proper torque spec chart(for shop wall)

-Part of the month -feature on cool parts, like hub adapters, heads, front mounts

-Kit feature? Or a 'How To' on helping to decide on a kit, based on needs/skill

Then maybe bicycle specific stuff too? like how to true a rim/wire your own spokes, repack bearings etc...

I'll keep thinking :)

Fulltimer

Aug 13, 2010
Saint Augustine, FL
All good ideas in the above post! More: basic bicycle up keep...cleaning and packing bearings etc. What to watch for on your tires (cracks etc). Tons of stuff around the forum here to choose from for topics.

Terry

Fulltimer

Aug 13, 2010
Saint Augustine, FL
Postage and the mailing in general would be a PITA. I think an online magazine, one that members could printed out also, would be the way to go.

The general idea behind the mag could be something like: The furtherance of safe motorbicycle operation. Even though a lot of us like to push the limits on these bikes I think as an organization we should be up front with supporting all laws that pertain to our "sport".

We could also have articles on the builds that are "not for the roads" type. Ya know what I mean? The 100cc + bikes that some build. I think there would be a lot of interest in that type of information.

Then there are the types that are not the normal builds: trikes and the 4 wheel bikes. Wooden bikes too! The quest for the land speed record.

BTW, I don't know what I could do to help but I have all the time in the world! I'm retired!!

Terry

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Some great thoughts, thanks guys!

Killer, really like each of those topics. Ya know, I think the bicycle it self is so often over looked when it is the very foundation. Don't get more important then that. Really deserves to be addressed in detail.

I did some shopping for a printer. No luck yet. But as suggested, (thanks again!)hard copies will be expensive and will focus more on digital but like the thought of it at least being available in print. But am hoping it comes close to or at least covers some of the costs. Not that I will miss a meal in any event.

Which brings me to the mission statement/ethics. I am thinking simple and absolute. Vendor neutral. Only mission, "Of, for and by Motor-Bicycle enthusiasts"

I would like to do one article on "Why a motorized bicycle?" If any one has a thought on this, would like to collect some quotes. So post away! A lot of why I want to write this one is although I have thought at great length on this, I have never been able to figure out why I personally am so addicted and enthralled with MBs. So a bit selfish.

Thanks BeenTryin. Is great to know there is interest

Oh! not gonna be hard to make it available in e-reader form! Just kinda cool.
.flg.

Fulltimer

Aug 13, 2010
Saint Augustine, FL
My "Why a motorized bicycle".

Due to injuries suffered in the Vietnam War my knees prevent me from being able to pedal a bicycle. I remember the joy I had riding a bike when I was a kid. I searched everywhere trying to find a bike I could pedal. Nothing! Then I saw a motorized bike! I knew I found the answer to my problem!

Terry

Reactions: Acerjoe128

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
I can not believe I had not thought of that Rebel! lol. Center fold, Hot chicks on cool bikes. Think I am getting old. Was looking at a woman ridding by on a bicycle and carol back handed me on the arm and said; "She is to young for you" I replied that I was looking at her bike. Sad part, I was! snork

Well, would have to give all Conosurs a reason to open to the middle. Be politically correct and all. Do male and female one? Really want it to be family and female builder friendly.

Thinking now, a calender/pin up thing for the centerfold. Really, some thing in good taste and not overly provocative. Playful not "adult" or sexist

Any input?

killercanuck

Dec 17, 2009
Wallaceburg ON
Yea Rebel, it's gotta be gender neutral, and family friendly. Their are Women amongst us :) Not just wives checking up on their Hubbies, haha, high ladies. Unless the center fold is two sided, girl(someones hot wife) on one side, Burly Dan/or Paul on the other side... but the same bike? and its removed before the kids get to it... heh heh

Maybe a coloring page for the munchkins? outlined bike they can color in... dunno, I've read so many father/son stories... Even My Dad got me into this hobby of ours. Maybe once the centerfold's taken out, then there's a page for them to color? Just thinking outloud, :)

Here's my "Why I ride a motorized bicycle":
K, I've read this over a couple of times from my text file, but I might edit it yet:

Why I ride a Motorized Bicycle:

The first reason I ride a motorized bicycle would be because I'm cheap; or frugal, rather. The cost of setting up a kit on a bicycle far outweighs even the cheapest of cars, motorcycles, and even store-bought E-bikes. Most States/Provinces/Territories don't even require insurance or a license(but some do, so check your local laws). So there's mega savings off the top right there, no license and sticker fee's... no insurance fee's.

And with the price of gas, what could sound any better than 120+ mpg?

You don't really need any skills other than 'how to read' and 'how to turn a wrench' to get a kit on your bike and running. Although you might need a wrench or two...

Going 2 or 4 Stroke depends on the initial price of the kit and whether you'll be gassing up at home with mix, or putting $1.25 in at the gas station for the next week.

The second reason I ride a motorized bicycle would be the feeling that "I put that together myself". There's no greater feeling of accomplishment than building your own ride. And let's not forget the customization available, whether it's custom parts, or modifying something to fit better. An M-Bike is never really complete, there's always something to tweak to try to get another ounce of performance out of her. Or to increase comfort, or style... there's really no limit eccept your imagination, and your bank account.

Plus on top of the mobility and speed of the machine, you can still go anywhere a bicycle can go. Like to trail ride? Put on a larger sprocket to get you up the hills and over those tree roots. Need to cruise to work as cheap as possible? Put on a smaller sprocket for higher speed and fuel effiency. Need more performance for either? Add any number of affordable upgrades, from expansion chamber exhausts to shift kits to performance carburators.

There really is no limit to the amount of fun vs. effiency of a motorized bicycle short of paying insurance and pony'ing up the $$ for another toy.

.wee.

I think that makes sense, I'll keep writing. Y'all should keep writing too, just make a text file somewhere and start writing what you think. After you edit it a few times something decent will come out. :)

So Dan, should we start pm'ing you with articles? Or how do you want to do this? Just wondering :)

Skarrd

Oct 13, 2010
Chandler, AZ
nice thought on that canuck...

got me thinking 'why i ride a MB'

well, it started out as just 'a more fuel efficient way to get to work' since my job was just down the street, i wanted to have a way of getting there without using up so much gas. but since i work retail i didn't want to be pedaling a bicycle there and be worn out before i even start work.

well on thing lead to the next. 'ride the bike to the store' 'to the post office' and my favorite 'ride it in the 25mph construction zone, because i can!'

i find myself riding it more and more than i thought i would, even to the point of needing to take the car just to make sure the battery is still charged.

i find my self at times wanting to just park it in the parking lot like a motorcycle, but i know someone will walk off with it if i did. for now at least ;)

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Awesome guys. Yepper, please do send any thing you would like. In no way does it have to be any thing I have suggested. Have fun with it and any thing you would care to send. Pictures, stories, thoughts and any thing you would enjoy. Will put it in my sig but here is my email addy, [email protected]

Speaking of female MBers, any woman volunteer contributers? Really want to cover all perspectives.

Dang, have to go to work. Gainful employment is really getting in the way of much funner stuff.

.flg.

Mr.Gadget

Nov 9, 2010
South Carolina
I was just harassed by a co-worker. He says "I saw a picture I thought you would appritiate" He pull up a picture of a Hot woman sitting on a streach cruiser. The bad part was that I was listing off all of the parts of the bike, and as an afterthought said "and she's hot too"

This also reminds me of a R/C helicopter story, Woman holding a helicopter,, the caption states...." If you can list the components on this helicopter,,,,,,,you have problems!!!"
LOL!!

buzbikebklyn1

Jun 3, 2009
Brooklyn N.Y.
I can not believe I had not thought of that Rebel! lol. Center fold, Hot chicks on cool bikes. Think I am getting old. Was looking at a woman ridding by on a bicycle and carol back handed me on the arm and said; "She is to young for you" I replied that I was looking at her bike. Sad part, I was! snork

Well, would have to give all Conosurs a reason to open to the middle. Be politically correct and all. Do male and female one? Really want it to be family and female builder friendly.

Thinking now, a calender/pin up thing for the centerfold. Really, some thing in good taste and not overly provocative. Playful not "adult" or sexist

Any input?
One pic of "guy junk" and im ripping up my subscription!lol
BBB.bf.

Skarrd

Oct 13, 2010
Chandler, AZ
i'd like to contribute when i can.

don't know if i'd be able to always contribute to this awesome magazine, but i'd like to help.

even if it's just something like sending pictures of my bike in ;) something to help get it off the ground and make sure there's plenty of content in it.