no idle

GoldenMotor.com

severedcorps

Jul 13, 2010
Vancouver, BC
my bike has beenworking completely fine, and now it won't idle.

i have about 600 km on it.. it runs fine, no loss of power, it just won't idle.. I'm stumped.. ive tried turning the screw in all the way and unscrewing it 1/8 at a time.. sometimes it will idle for 1 - 3 seconds and then cut out.. it runs fine all else..

anything I should look for?

wezwheels

Sep 9, 2008
check for air leaks. make sure you tighten all your bolts around the manifold and the carb. then you can spray a little carb cleaner or some starting fluid around the carb. see if the unit wants to stall or the rpms change any. if it does or the motor sounds different. you know you got an air leak. be careful with the hot motor. after all the fluids can ignite. if none of that works, get back with us and will try something else. no such thing as crazy here. wez

severedcorps

Jul 13, 2010
Vancouver, BC
throttle cable is as tight as can be. where would I be looking for air leaks? when i have the screw turned in all the way it will idle for 10 - 30 seconds before cutting out.. i dont have any carb cleaner or starting fluid, so if i dont need to buy this it would be better..

I think it must be an air leak or something, but I can't find any leaks.. hmm

severedcorps

Jul 13, 2010
Vancouver, BC
im going to get a friend to blow some smoke around the carb and see if it gets sucked in the engine, then ill know if i have an air leak... this should work, right?

leftywoody

Aug 23, 2008
Lagrange Indiana
You can spray just a touch of starting fluid from a can on the joint between the jug and the intake manifold and see if the engine revs higher . After much head scratching , I just went ahead and replaced that gasket and it helped me eliminate my idle woes . Sorry, I didn't see at first that you had a starting fluid, funding shortage . If you fix that gasket with a new one it will work .

Last edited:

Nitrohorse

Aug 1, 2008
i think i will replace the gasket on the intake and see if that helps.. how much would starting fluid cost?
Typical HT two cycle..leaking intake manifold. Take a Benz-O-Matic torch and turn the gas on without lighting it. Move the torch around the intake/case and listen to hear if the rpms increase. If they do, you found your leak.

Last edited:

severedcorps

Jul 13, 2010
Vancouver, BC
and when do I do that if the bike won't idle?

when im riding? and my torch is completely out, i have to wait til i get a new one or borrow from a friend

Last edited:

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Or buy a dollars worth of gasket paper from the local mower shop, he will probably help you with cutting it if you take the manifold or old gasket in with you.

leftywoody

Aug 23, 2008
Lagrange Indiana
yea im going to buy a gasket.. for the intake and exhaust.. i can seal with silicone right?
Use gasket sealer designed for intake manifold gaskets and follow the directions on the tube . Get it at an auto parts store and if you are using a gasket use the sealer sparingly ,not too much or it will obstruct your flow of gas . Just a paper thin layer on the surface of both sides of the gasket . Silicone sealer is made for many other differant applications but intake manifold sealer is what you need .

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
Ya know, I'm sure this is something that would have stood out like a sore thumb, but did you check your choke to be certain it's staying wide open when you ride? I personally have a history with loose choke nuts. I'm also curious to know which notch your needle valve is set on. Second from the top seems to work well for most people. If you've already ruled these things out, feel free to ignore me.