Help.. Broken Bottom engine casing.

GoldenMotor.com

Missmichelleb

Oct 29, 2009
Escondido, CA
Alright... i'm getting somewhere.

I found something to replace the pin and got that in place, i used JB weld to keep the pin in place.

I then tightened the flower nut as tight as i could and then placed the cover in place over the ball and peg and tightened the screws evenly... as i tightened the peg and ball moved in more and i was able to tightened the flower nut more and more as i went. Eventually the cover sat flush... yay!! I placed the cover over the gear side and my repair of the casing looks pretty good i think :)

Its pretty late now, so tomorrow i will mount the engine back on my bike and test it out. Hopefully ill be up and running :)

Thank you everyone for your excellent advise.

Attachments

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
Tick..tick..tick..tick..:eek:

I am wondering how well it worked out for her myself. I suspect that the clutch will need a final adjustment to keep it from slipping under load.

Last edited:

Missmichelleb

Oct 29, 2009
Escondido, CA
Sorry to leave you guys hanging. I started working on mounting everything when i got home and I just got done.. 8 - 10:30 .. no too bad i guess... but maybe i'm kinda slow.

Everything looks great... time to go test ride.

Be back in a few... with hopefully good news :)

Missmichelleb

Oct 29, 2009
Escondido, CA
OK.. so it kinda works... the engine wont turn over... like i have no power. I feel like i've had this problem before, but i cant for the life of me remember the cause of it

Ideas?

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
considering you just put the motor back together, did you ride it long enough for it to get all nice and fueled up?

i got my complete re-build done today, and it took me two blocks to start it, then it sputtered around for the first mile or so.

mostly because i dumped 2 capfuls of oil on top of the piston when i finished building it to make sure it wouldn't be a "dry start."

mine runs great now.

i did have to adjust the flower nut again when i got it all installed. with the clutch cable hooked up, the wheel would roll without the lever pulled in, so i tightened it up.

is your clutch adjusted right?

Missmichelleb

Oct 29, 2009
Escondido, CA
you know.. i dont know if my clutch is adjusted right.. Its really tight, but it rolls smooth with the lever pulled in.

What is the proper way to adjust the clutch?

I've always had issues with my clutch.

I just went and got new gas, i'm going to fill it up and try to ride around a bit and see if it will get fueled up :)

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
I am sure that bairdco will chip in too.
1. Remove the gear case cover and then remove the lock screw for the flower nut.
2. Hold the clutch lever in against the handlebar grip with tape or wire.
3. Push in against the clutch plate with one hand and with the other hand, using your fingers, tighten the flower nut untill it is snug. That is your starting point.
4. Unscrew the flower nut 1 to 1 1/2 turn, aligning one of the notches in the flower nut with the hole that the lock screw threads into. Install lock screw but don't tighten it just yet.
5. Remove tape or wire from clutch lever and let the clutch lever release.
6. Tighten the lock screw and reinstall the gear case cover.

Last edited:

Missmichelleb

Oct 29, 2009
Escondido, CA
Good News everyone... My 2nd test ride went awesome. I just needed to work some gas into the engine i guess... after about 2 blocks or so it started sputtering then caught. I must say.. that was a great feeling :)

I still think my clutch needs some adjusting and maybe the idle.. just some fine tuning... stuff it seems like i'm always playing with.

But the fantastic thing is i get to ride my bike to work tomorrow.. and it thanks to you guys. THANK YOU SO MUCH!!

Attachments

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
I am glad that we all could help you out.
You did good!
Every clutch is a little different than the next. Just try adjusting the flower nut in 1/4 turn increments until it is correct. Don't forget to re adjust the clutch cable afterwords if necessary.
Enjoy the ride!