Caution new builders

GoldenMotor.com

gregalman

Jul 19, 2009
Chatsworth, Ca.
Thought I'd share a lesson learned today. No that's not exactly true.......thought I'd admit to being a dummy and not heeding advice read here time and time again in hopes it saves someone else some trouble.

Today I finished installing a Grubee starfire on my point beach. The kit came with the carb fully assembled and throttle cable installed. Like an idiot I mounted it without disassembling it.

The motor fired easily and ran fine until I applied a moderate amount of throttle and then it would completely bog down.

I pulled the slide out of the carb and the needle stayed in the bore. They had installed the needle below the slide rather than through it. If that needle had been sucked into the intake port I wouldn't be feeling nearly so lucky tonight.

Anyway now it runs fine and the real work begins. Better front mount, Better chain tensioner, find and eliminate a couple of rattles, break in, fine tuning........ on and on......

The moral is listen to the experience you read on this forum and check everything!

Greg

Attachments

bandito

May 22, 2009
colorado
That seat post is almost reaching heaven huh lol. Nice bike greg. The more I see those types of bikes the more I like them. What model schwin is that?

gregalman

Jul 19, 2009
Chatsworth, Ca.
Point beach from walmart. If I were doing it over I'd go with a steal frame bike though. it rides nice but engine mounting was a pain with the oversize aluminum tubes.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
gregalman,
Congratulations. The Point Beach makes a great motorized bicycle and a comfy ride. You've done a good job on the install too by the way. Just a word of caution; keep a close eye on the fenders and especially the front one. They have a bad reputation for breaking the mounting tabs and getting wrapped around the wheels. Some guys fabricate new mounts for them and some simply remove the fenders. Whichever you decide just be aware that the fenders were not designed to withstand the vibrations encountered with a motorbike. Here's a link you might find interesting. http://motorbicycling.com/f11/another-tale-fender-failure-10191.html Have fun, ride careful.
Tom

Last edited:

gregalman

Jul 19, 2009
Chatsworth, Ca.
I guess this should go in another thread but here it is anyway.

My last motorbike was a GT mountain bike with a rack mount Robin motor. the motor was great but the bike beat me to death. (I commute 45 miles each way but work once a week) I moved the motor onto a new Phat cruiser and Oh what a difference. Lost 2 to 3 mph mostly due to lower pressure tires and more upright seating but it was soooo much more comfortable than the mountain bike frame.

2 days after completing it someone cut a 4 foot section of fence from my work and stole it with my bike attached.

This is the replacement. Wanted to play with the frame mount this time and have always liked 2 strokes. Yes I'm old. My first motorcycle was a bridgestone 90. this grubee does bring back memories!

Greg