Coaster brale arm removal?

GoldenMotor.com

brine99

Jun 29, 2009
PA
What is proper way to remove brake arm? I see disassembly instructions online but
arm is never removed from axle. Also, any tricks in bending arm to clear sprocket bolts other than hammering away at the poor thing. Again, thanks for help.

WayneC

Aug 2, 2009
Clearwater, FL
Most coaster brakes are quite similar. With the wheel removed, hold the brake arm with one hand and loosen the nut holding it on with the other. The arm should lift off the hub. Note that it may be keyed. That is, the center hole is slotted or has flats on two sides that mate up with the cone nut.
As far as bending goes, that depends on the quality of the hub. Some arms are hardened steel. Good luck with these. I had one from a Shimano hub that even when heated cherry red took VERY hard 3# sledge blows to get it to budge even just a little and it took repeated attempts. Others are just regular steel and are easier to bend but I would still heat it rather than just banging on it with a hammer.
Hope this helps and good luck.
WC

Kevlarr

Jul 22, 2009
Mi
Most coaster brake arms are just mild steel nowdays so I'd try putting it a vice and just use a crescent wrench to try and bend it first. That's all it took with mine, bent it out about 1/4" from where it mounts to the hub then bent it back in it a little further up so it would line up with the frame rail. If memory serves that's how coaster brake arms USED to be anyway. lol

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
DOOD!!!
Just take the arm off, put it in a vice & wack it with a plastic hammer, until it's shaped the way you need... (It's real simple!!!)
Don't over think things!

Last edited: