Find a Dealer & Review

GoldenMotor.com

AndyT

Mar 27, 2009
Franklin, TN
Golden Eagle Bike Engines or GEBE

This is a review of my experience with Golden Eagle Bike Engines or GEBE.

I called several vendors of both in-frame and rear mount kits at about 2 pm Central time last week. GEBE is the only one that answered the phone. I chatted with Julia or Julie :confused: for quite a while and she was able to answer all of my questions. I was leaning toward a belt drive system and the responsive phone call clenched it.

I ordered the Tanaka 32cc kit, with an extra drive belt and a "highway" drive gear for a higher top speed after I break it in. I also ordered one of the solid rear axles that they recommend. You can't use a quick release setup unless you modify your kit to a frame mount (lots of info here on the forums).

I placed my order on 3-31, and received a receipt from Pay Pal. On 4-1, I received a notice from UPS that my kit had shipped. My kit arrived on 4-3 as scheduled. I live in Tennessee, and shipping was FAST! I like that.

I unboxed my kit and found that everything was there. The quality of GEBE kits are what I expected; Good American made quality. The Japanese made Tanaka engine is a little work of art as well.

Assembly was fairly easy, and after I had the axle installed it took me about 3.5 hours to install, route cables and wires and tidy things up. I don't rush, and always double check everything.

I took a quick test ride last night and everything works great. The Tanaka 32cc is not loud at all and runs very smooth. There are no vibrations and I'm sure all will go well on my first real ride.

The bike I purchased for this build is the Novara Metro from REI: Novara Metro Bike - 2009 at REI.com
It's a great mid-priced bike, comes in several sizes for a proper fit, looks a bit Cruiser-ish, but has the heart of a mountain bike and the gears to prove it. It weighs 31lbs in a 20 inch (X-Large) size. All of the parts are good quality, and it's a perfect match for the GEBE kit. Total weight with kit installed and fueled up ready to ride is 46lbs.

I'll update this review after I put a few miles on her.

GO GEBE!

commander

Mar 19, 2009
penn state
I read every post on this thread including the chit chat. Very informative.
Hoping to read more reviews about bikeberry.com, but apparently few have dealt with them.
well let me tell you all my little story about Wholesale Beach Cruisers, Chopper, Mountain, Road, Tandem and BMX Freestyle Bicycles. - Bike Berry.com

To be honest had I not accidentally found there site I most certainly would not have found this site either.

I was doing a google search about a month or so ago and typed "motor in a bike" and bikeberry was one I went to first. I browsed there website like a kid in a candy store, I mean I practically had it memorized.

So i find what I want and i go to there checkout , I put all my info in there including a phone number. Well as it turns out there site was glitching and I could not put the order is , so I gave up since my wife was hassiling me anyways about spending more money.

Well this is the deal maker , they gave ME a call !! Can you believe that ? They asked me had I put in a motor order and I said yes and explained what was up with there website.

My wife says it must be karma cause no where else had I experienced a phone call from a vendor online like this before.

well to make a long story short, it is because of bike bery's personal that got me my first engine, it is an "80 cc" kit from there site. It arrived and installed just like it was advertised. My only real issue was the so called "directions" it was nothing more than a parts list. So i had to stop the install and go to google and figure out how to install it , and thats when i found this site and all the great info on these engine installs.

I have since ordered another 80 cc from Wholesale Beach Cruisers, Chopper, Mountain, Road, Tandem and BMX Freestyle Bicycles. - Bike Berry.com and it was the same story as the first engine and another call from them.

I give there staff a perfect 10 for helping me and making my orders a pleasant experience.

I give the product a 7 out of 10 cause they are made in china . hahaha but they work so i am a hapy motor biker and have joined you all in this fine forum.

.flg.

lordoflightaz

Jan 23, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
Review of USABikeMotors USABikeMotors.com, Star-Fire Motors and Parts

Product: "GEN II 50cc Standard (StarFire)" Price was reasonable, has new way of attaching clutch, hole in block which can bite you if you don't get the cable fully inserted because you can't see it nice adjustment on the cable is great. Bigger 2.5L gas tank. Carb attaches directly, no intake manifold, taking it off is a pain. Wider mounting made it easy to install on bike. Plate on engine says 50cc which in AZ is a bad idea.
Customer Service: I had no issues.
Technical Service: I asked questions and got answers. The instructions dreck, hidden under styrofoam packing. I think they would be best served to put the instructions on their website for download
Ordering/Shipping: Simple easy, fast. I ordered it Friday afternoon and Joel must have put it in a rocket it landed here Saturday afternoon used USPS, Packaging was very good.
Website: eCommerce type site, (Zen, and it does have a zen feel)
Overall: It worked for me. I would like to see more gear, like the automatic clutch engine. Living in AZ and buying in AZ has a downside, TAX, but such is life.

Note: The Catalytic muffler fell apart, person riding bike did not pick up the pieces so I had to swap in a different muffler (no fault of USABikeMotors) I built this bike for a guy that had his stolen so I don't know what kind of break in it is going to get.

OzzyU812

May 15, 2008
"the bog" NH
Re: Find a Dealer & Review (DAX)

I got a DAX. Been shopping and riding an e-bike for a year because state law weren't gasser friendly. Now they have changed! Thank GOD!

After 30 miles I thought I had sheared the wood ruff key. I was disappointed that the tool wasn't in the kit. So hadn't opened it up yet to look. My thought was no key cant fix it. I contacted Duane about a tool and if he had a wood ruff key. He offer to replace my motor. I said I had painted it. I send him a pic He thought it had been drilled but still offered replacement anyhow. I explain it hasn't been drilled. Wife and Dan (yes the Dan here) thought I should go ahead with the deal. I wanted to try and fix it. I put work into it detailing it and it would be a pain swapping motor out. That I just put in and only had an hour of riding on it. Well I took the actuator off and the nut was laying there! I said to myself, "Self, WELL THERE YOUR PROBLEM!!" LOL The only damage was the wood ruff key had a tiny tiny chip off and the back of the actuator has a nice groove worn in it. LOL I had to ride it 3mi home. Thank god it was all downhill and flat from where I was! LOL I put it back together and Bam! We are back in business!

In conclusion, Duane was going to replace a motor that was was painted and he thought was damaged by the customer. I always heard DAX has the best customer service. This goes above an beyond my expectations!

DAX ROX!! dance1

note: I removed the the paint where the carb attaches.

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas
Nice paint and detailing on your engine OZman, got a picture of the bike completed!
Dax is pretty cool guy good to help you out if you have a problem.
I think all of the vendors here will help a guy or girl.
I got to put a good word in for all these people who sell us these engine kits..
Norman

Last edited:

redpiper777

Dec 16, 2008
Michigan
Sick Bike Parts air cleaner

I bought the direct replacement air cleaner from sick bike parts and it got here REAL FAST...Not a terrible product but I just wish they would advertise it on the website like it actually comes...When I opened it it had very fine scratches in the chrome like it had been handled a lot...The scratches probably came from holding onto the air cleaner while they drill 2 holes in the chrome cover....In the add there are NO holes...Instead you get a nice air cleaner with 2 holes drilled in it supplied with 2 black fine thread bolts to (I think) totally mess up the look of the chrome cleaner...It does fit nicely but I would look around for something else before I picked up another one...Shipping was a bit high for the weight also but what can you do....Anyway

shipping speed 5 stars
shipping cost 3 stars
product 3.5 stars
Adverstising product 1 star

redpiper777

Dec 16, 2008
Michigan
Re: Sick Bike Parts air cleaner

I bought the direct replacement air cleaner from sick bike parts and it got here REAL FAST...Not a terrible product but I just wish they would advertise it on the website like it actually comes...When I opened it it had very fine scratches in the chrome like it had been handled a lot...The scratches probably came from holding onto the air cleaner while they drill 2 holes in the chrome cover....In the add there are NO holes...Instead you get a nice air cleaner with 2 holes drilled in it supplied with 2 black fine thread bolts to (I think) totally mess up the look of the chrome cleaner...It does fit nicely but I would look around for something else before I picked up another one...Shipping was a bit high for the weight also but what can you do....Anyway

shipping speed 5 stars
shipping cost 3 stars
product 3.5 stars
Adverstising product 1 star
Hey everybody I read this review again and wanted to add a few things...I think the origianal review may have looked a bit harsh but I really didnt mean it to look that way...For starters I installed the air cleaner and took her for a spin and noticed a definite increase in power...These 2 strokers cant get much more powerful or faster than they are so every little bit helps....The look of the air cleaner is not all that bad..I just had a look in mind when I ordered it and I had to adjust that look in mind when I opened the box LOL...I'm just a little particular about the look of my bike because its the first one I built..After e-mailing with Pablo he did explain that they new the air cleaner pic on the website was an issue and they are working to change it...I just want everybody to know that I definitely would order from these guys again because of the product line they carry...They by far have some of the most inovative and upgraded parts for motored bikes on the planet...By the way I gotta give these guys a 6 on a scale of 1 to 5 for communication

cabbiex5

Feb 12, 2009
Michigan
First time builder doing a review on ThatsDax Engines buy Duane:

Service 5/5
Quality 5/5
Cost 4/5
Overall 5/5

Bought me here a Dax F80 Chinga Gurl. All the parts where there and the parts to mount on an oversized frame. I didnt have to replace anything. Quality of the engine and its parts are above what I expected. BEST CUSTOMER SERVICE IVE EVER DELT WITH.Will definately buy Dax engines in the future. I recommend ThatsDax for any and all MB needs!

Cabbiex5

Last edited:

Beetle Juice

Jun 6, 2009
north carolina
Beetle Juice I have in no way any ties to Spooky Tooth so all that I write is how I feel. I had a problem with a well name shipper. They lost a double order of mine . I called Rowland back at Spooky Tooth cycles and told him the problem and I had my engine in 24 hours that's right overnight express. Rowland has always been very helpful when I call or even Bliss they lady that answers the phone also knows her stuff she even rides herself. So if you are looking for professional service give Spooky Tooth cycles a tryusflg

Junster

Jun 2, 2009
Washington St.
Re: Find a Dealer & Review (zoombicycle.com)

I ordered my second 80cc slanthead from Zoom on the 16th UPS tracking says it will deliver on the 19th. Even faster than the first one. I have had no problems with the first one at all. I called them once had a question they were helpful. Had no problems getting in touch with them. The new slanthead 80's they are shipping are very good motors. Ordered stud/bolt upgrade kit and tank petcock from SBP the same day. These 2 things are bad in my opinion in all the kits. As always SBP shipped very fast with great packing.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
If you haven't noticed there is a new dealer advertising here. Check down the left side and you'll see
Piston Bikes. I ordered some parts from them late last week and they arrived yesterday. The order was complete and accurate. Shipping is reasonable and quick. Take a look at their offerings and give them a try, especially for hard to find engine parts.
Tom

xlite

Jun 18, 2009
ny,ny
I'm sold on Zoom, DAX, and SBP. In terms of service, quality, and price these are head and shoulders above the dozen or so other vendors I've dealt with.

PatMcLJr

Jun 21, 2009
earth
I have only got one of the 2 stroke kits (f50), well so far anyway ;)
I like DAX they seem to understand the business. Not the fastest shipper I'm sure but that's OK, I would rather wait an extra few days then have to through a bunch of BS getting some problem straightened out.

That's DAX bike motor kits

Thanks DAX,
Pat Jr.

Last edited:

TheE

Jun 26, 2009
Canada
I bought my kit from Zoombicycles/Powerkingshop/RuiHong Enterprises off ebay. It's a 49cc Limited Edition kit. I get the feeling that just means "here's old stuff we want to get rid of", but it came with some neat stuff that the other kits didn't.

The kit arrived within two weeks, but was missing all the sprocket mounting hardware. I e-mailed them about it, and within a day I got a response telling me to send some pictures of what I got so they could ship out what I'm missing. After doing that, they sent the missing bits out to me at no charge whatsoever the next day.

It also turns out my brass cable keeper was missing, they offered to send me one for free, but I had already ordered it from them anyhow (they're cheap). They sent me two!

The included instructions were either in Chinglish (the motor kit is a "great substitute for walking", according to it), or very vague. More detailed ones were available from their website. I guess they save money on paper this way.

The clutch cable was *just* long enough to reach through the clutch arm. I ended up shortening it anyways, so I stripped off some of the rubber to make it longer.

Then the drive sprocket wouldn't turn, even with the clutch disengaged. They said that the grease causes it to seize if it's left in storage for a while. I fed the chain onto the sprocket and gave it a yank. I lost a bit of skin on my finger, and then tried again with gloves. It freed right up after that.

After that it all went pretty smoothly. The engine fired up and still runs well. I'm extremely impressed with ZB's customer service and would reccomend them to anybody.

matt167

May 20, 2009
usa
After a long while, I got my luckyearlybird kit going on my 26" mountain bike.. after a long while, and tossing a few stock parts ( tensioner, chain and plug wire )... While customer support isn't great, the engine does seem to run good and smooth with little to no vibration. $120 shipped, not a bad price.. but given the customer support and no written warranty. I may have just gotten lucky, so I don't belive I should reccomend them as there are companies that provide a warranty for not much more