What is the quietest motorized kit

GoldenMotor.com

cypher99

Feb 3, 2009
USA
Those of you who have quiet motors should post about them on youtube, particularly those who own the shops that sell them. On youtube, it seems like every 2-stroke and 4-stroke that I see has a very loud motor. I'd like to see what is possible as far as quietness goes. Maybe even get a decibel meter (gauge?) to test the sound of it. Just saying if you want to sell product, that's what I would do because I think the loudness of it might be one of the biggest turn-offs. Since we aren't even sure how legal they are, I'd rather ride around town quietly rather than have the cops hear me and give me hassle.

mabman

Oct 4, 2008
In the wind
The cheesy mics on the cheap video cameras used for the most part make the sounds louder than they actually are I find from experience? At some point the testing you suggest will happen I suppose but in order to do so a higher grade mic will have to be used.

Riding around in Englewood, CO yesterday in 65d weather in a short sleeved shirt I once again noticed that my drive train noise was about as loud as the motor and that really isn't bad I feel. It is noticeable enough though to those on the sidewalk however but the sight of a bicycle cruising at legal speed down the street is more of a wonder to most that makes them stop and turn their heads. One little boy was on the edge of the street with his dad trying out his first two wheeler and as I rolled by he said "Hey, that's cheating!".

I have seen several scooters go by and I don't think my ride is any louder than they are for sure. And quite frankly a bit of noise is actually a good thing as it makes others aware of your presence, as long as it is not too obnoxious I suppose, but for sure it is less than a harley with straight pipes.

cypher99

Feb 3, 2009
USA
I got my electric bike finished. It goes 27 mph. I just took it out today. I need some new batteries, though because the range is very limited. I'm going to switch to NiCD.

robin

Nov 15, 2008
Penticton British Columbia Canada
Today i went to our local bike shop to see if my new dax 2 cycle engine would fit the frame of the cruiser.--i had told him previously that i would buy one--the engine would not fit around the new aluminum frame and would need some modifications--he said there was not a new bicycle made that would work and to quit wasting his time that i should go electic--which i tried and for 1600 bucks you could barely do 20 miles--so i left freedom cycle and phoned spookey tooth in arizona and had a choice of 10 suitable bikes so i bought one--we need a bicycle motor mechanic here these guys are complete a holes

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008
I have twin Mitsubishi 43cc 2.2hp engines on "The DragonLady". The front one has its flame resistor removed, the rear has an ADA expansion pipe.

Both are relatively quiet; the rear engine is much quieter at all speeds.

When I turn the front engine off, I can barely hear the rear engine idling..shft.

Roadkill

Feb 14, 2009
Roadkill, USA
I think I've decided on an electric bike. I had considered one in the beginning and now I think I'm going to go ahead and take a chance on one. The combination of buying gas (which I hate doing at all) and the loudness of the motors was the deciding factor.
Electric bikes are easy to maintain if you get a good solar array.. These will take you 100 miles and back again. Good things these are. The distance on the electrics are goofy. I want to eventually want to make some special designs but need the motors first. Start with these because electric is a headache unless you have 100 to peep away!

Good poists and questions cypher!!

Also most if not all electrics and parts are non US made so parts may be hard to get in a pitfall depression..

Watch my posts in spring and get a welder. You can have a good time fixing your own rigs up..

Cheers all!

Roadkill

Feb 14, 2009
Roadkill, USA
I have twin Mitsubishi 43cc 2.2hp engines on "The DragonLady". The front one has its flame resistor removed, the rear has an ADA expansion pipe.

Both are relatively quiet; the rear engine is much quieter at all speeds.

When I turn the front engine off, I can barely hear the rear engine idling..shft.
Flame resistor? Sounds like fun with a can of hair spray!

.duh.

Roadkill

Feb 14, 2009
Roadkill, USA
youd think these guys would embrace the idea---there are only 2 mb in a town of 30,000 !!
I have only seen 3 or 4 on my entire life living in Chicagoland. I have heard rumors of them locally but have only seen stupid scooters that require imported tires tubes and brain Parts... P p P P poooooo Poor people just don't know what they are missing. I hope you are prepared to defend or hand yours over if there are 3 mile bread lines and people are looking for a free ride if gas goes to 10 a gal or higher. Yes we are one in 10,000 minded people. There are those who are as smart and might even stock up on kits but will not bust out with them unless crisis happens..

OK all done with my Happy Happies!

.flg.

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Back to the subject of "quietness"....the intake makes almost as much noise on the China bikes as does the exhaust. baffling the intake goes a long way in silencing any two stroke engine.

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008
youd think these guys would embrace the idea---there are only 2 mb in a town of 30,000 !!
In a city of 800,00 I have seen only ONE!! other MB.

He was pedalling with engine off. That was TWO YEARS ago.

I've seen China MB's here on craigslist, but never in person.

Today I pedalled to McD's for breakfast, then to the credit union for cash.

As crowded as the streets were with cars, so was the inside of the credit union.

I quickly withdrew $$ from the ATM and just as quickly was motoring away and passing stalled traffic..rd.

I used "The Dragon Lady" temporarily driven by single Mitsubishi w/1.5".

What a pleasant drive; docile but still able to reach 30+mph on the flats.

Last edited:

machiasmort

Aug 10, 2008
Buffalo,NY
Ridding my bike is like being in the library... I wear ear plugs and use my middle finger alot! Just joking, I'm with the other guy's who want to see our hobby survive!
Best (for cheap) way to do it is order a 2strk kit. I packed my muffler loosly with steel wool by taking the end cap off! Made a cardboard cut out of the clutch cover and put it inside of the clutch cover to deaden gear noise. After all of this I turned the idle down on the bike after I warm it up, until it almost dies... You have to set it every time you ride but the bike is pretty quiet now!

Roadkill

Feb 14, 2009
Roadkill, USA
Drama dork here... I wonder if a propane engine would run quiet? I just found an old propane generator and it might be usefull. One could fill up at lowes or home depot. I have also heard some older small mowers with vertical shafts operate with less noise. Can a mower motor be hade to fit a larger muffler? Just something I was pondering.

Roadkill

Feb 14, 2009
Roadkill, USA
Ridding my bike is like being in the library... I wear ear plugs and use my middle finger alot! Just joking, I'm with the other guy's who want to see our hobby survive!
Best (for cheap) way to do it is order a 2strk kit. I packed my muffler loosly with steel wool by taking the end cap off! Made a cardboard cut out of the clutch cover and put it inside of the clutch cover to deaden gear noise. After all of this I turned the idle down on the bike after I warm it up, until it almost dies... You have to set it every time you ride but the bike is pretty quiet now!
I wonder if that would work with a 4 cycle robin? Would that hurt the muffler? Ever set steel wool on fire? Neat stuff. How about the cardboard? Would that work as well? The more frankenfixes hanging off the bike the more likely people would laugh and not complain. I image one can also pedal a lot to help shhhh the noise.

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
The best thing to pack the exhaust with is fiberglass (like a "glass pack muffler) Use a coarse type of fiberglass sheet, like deck cloth to wrap the baffle....don't actually pack the can with it.

Roadkill

Feb 14, 2009
Roadkill, USA
The best thing to pack the exhaust with is fiberglass (like a "glass pack muffler) Use a coarse type of fiberglass sheet, like deck cloth to wrap the baffle....don't actually pack the can with it.
Do you mean like R value home insulation? So wrap it around and the perhaps use the shiny metallic duct tape around it? What if it is very small muffler like a hockey puck? Same thing? Just curious and thanks for the help!