pz 20 carb

GoldenMotor.com

Moisstink

Aug 2, 2013
Tempe
I am in the middle of trying to get this bike running and what I am running into is that my carb is leaking gas. I have never used a pz 20 carb and I first noticed gas running out of the tube at the bottom. so I raised it above the carb and noticed gas leaking from the air intake part of the carb. After trying to start the engine for a while with no luck (which ran fine with the old carb) I placed the hose into the side of the carb where some small intake would fit the hose. I am not sure if this is for air or gas so I am not sure if that is correct. Anyway, either with or without the hose attached I am still getting gas coming from the air intake. The carb is level so I am not sure how to address this. Is the float faulty? Any help would be appreciated. I have fabbed and intake for this carb to fit a briggs four stroke.:-||

Moisstink

Aug 2, 2013
Tempe
This is a brand new carb and I am watching videos on motorcycle carbs now. It seems like first of all the float bowl plug will not tighten enough to stop the bottom of the carb from leaking gas. I guess that is no good. Second I am guessing this does have a float problem. Can those two above be from the float needle not setting right? is the float needle only accessible from opening the carb

oldtimer54

May 15, 2010
On a bike
Ya you have to open the carb to see this. As the gas fills the bowl the float rises pushing on a needle that closes off the gas. If that is not working the gas wont turn off when the bowl is full so gas leaks like your carb is. Your carb should have a screw near the puke tube (gas drain tube) on the bottom of the carb. If that screw is loose gas will come out of that tube. That is how we drain the carb for storage or to flush the bowl.

Last edited:

Moisstink

Aug 2, 2013
Tempe
I am opening the carb now and watching videos on float adjustment. I am finding that the puke tube drain screw is not stopping the flow of gas as well. Are PZ 20 clones POS? I have never run one and this new one is becoming a project straight outta the box!

Moisstink

Aug 2, 2013
Tempe
After opening the bowl everything looked good. I did a slight bend for adjustment on the float to hopefully seal the leak on the carb when the float is functioning properly. If the screw will not close the puke plug should I just seal it?
Anyone know a good process for that?

Last edited:

oldtimer54

May 15, 2010
On a bike
I am opening the carb now and watching videos on float adjustment. I am finding that the puke tube drain screw is not stopping the flow of gas as well. Are PZ 20 clones POS? I have never run one and this new one is becoming a project straight outta the box!
Any clone can be a pos. Hope yours isn't. Where did you buy it?

Moisstink

Aug 2, 2013
Tempe
I bought the clone on Ebay US (Made in China) 30.00$. The screw top holding on the top of the carb broke in two as soon as I opened it. So, a little JB weld and that is temporarily fixed. They said they would send a new cap top.

Moisstink

Aug 2, 2013
Tempe
I would let them know the problems your having so they can send you a new carb.
I am thinking that is the case as well. I have a online build off that I have entered with the bike and am slowly realizing that the photo's may look good but it running well, may run past the date. Here is a recent photo but not one with the new carb.

Moisstink

Aug 2, 2013
Tempe
Thanks, I was able to get the carb to work this morning. The thing sounds like a gasser with out the muffler on. I am going to adjust the jackshaft and hopefully have this thing on the road by the end of the weekend!!! Thanks for the help everyone.

oldtimer54

May 15, 2010
On a bike
Thanks, I was able to get the carb to work this morning. The thing sounds like a gasser with out the muffler on. I am going to adjust the jackshaft and hopefully have this thing on the road by the end of the weekend!!! Thanks for the help everyone.
What was the problem and what did you have to do to fix it?

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
Re: pz 20 carb leaking gas

Clean it out. Sounds like the float needle is dirty and being held open.

Moisstink

Aug 2, 2013
Tempe
The carb was new so I am not sure what was causing the needle to stick or not really function correctly. I opened it up adjusted the float needle and it seems to have fixed the problem I am still waiting for the cap that I had to jb weld (which also cracked) but it turned over and ran pretty well. I still need to figure out how to dial in the idle and the carb as a whole for good running order. Anyone know of any good links for that?