Notice the keylock springer fork, indicating the Deluxe

Missing headlight

Frame and tank in great shape!

Last edited:

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
I would tell you what I paid for it, but I hate watching grown men cry like babies....
I rescued this beauty from a HACK who was watching it rust.
I recently saw a fully restored Autocycle (NOT the Deluxe version) selling for over $5k on fleabay with days to go yet.
Also saw this exact bike in MUCH worse condition priced at $575.
Mine needs the chain guard and the headlight to be complete.
I guess it's true that Karma rewards those who help others.
The ONLY reason I even found this amazing bike was due to the theft replacement bike I was recently involved in, and like I said, the price was RIGHT!

Last edited:

maniac57

Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
I'm stunned by the beautiful original paint schemes. Classic and timeless.
I'm leaning towards Blue right now...but it's gonna take a lot of work before I'll be buying any paint.

This is a 1946 so it's not quite the same, but you get the idea.

maniac57

Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
Now I'm torn. I simply don't have the cash to buy the materials needed to restore this gem. I'm considering selling it even though it would break my heart.
I'm all tied up right now in the RV and I can't even build any bikes till it sells.
Decisions, decisions.

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
Holy mother of mercy, Maniac! An autocycle! Yeah, don't tell me the price. I know I'd just weep in my coffee. Please don't give up on it. Mine took a couple years before I got it to where it is now, and I still tweak things from time to time (you're never really done working on them). Keep it, restore it, ride it, and I'll bet you're never regret it.

maniac57

Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
Sadly, I had to put it up for sale.
I simply cannot afford to restore it or keep it.
Makes me sad, but I have a collector coming today to buy it (hopefully)
This beauty deserves to be brought back to her original glory and I just do not have the money to do the right thing.

chainmaker

Jan 19, 2010
Ma USA
Now I see it, try to think of it as going to a good home where it will be taken care of and not parted out on eBay.

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
Well, I suppose you did the right thing. When I was restoring mine, I had to substitute elbow grease for money rather often - hence the lengthy restoration time. And when you really need the dough, selling is a difficult decision to make but it's often the right one.

Davezilla

Mar 15, 2014
San Antonio Texas
I really hate to sell things like that but sometimes it's better if the bike has to sit for months or years before a restoration could begin to go ahead and sell it to someone who has the time and money to do the job right.

maniac57

Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
Sold to the very first caller. No questions asked.
A nice gentleman in his 70's with a BEAUTIFUL collection of restored and original bicycles.
He showed up with original dealer literature! A three-ring binder full of the different models!
Dude knows his Schwinn's!
At least it didn't go to some douchcanoe hipster....

maniac57

Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
Yeah. It really does make it less painful.
But...
I'll never find another bike like that again.
At least not one I can afford.
*breaks down sobbing again. wipes eyes with fistfull of cash*

Last edited:

Davezilla

Mar 15, 2014
San Antonio Texas
I know exactly that feeling when I ran into money trouble a few years ago and had to sell my 1984 Kawasaki KZ700 which was in near showroom condition... Just needed a little touch up on the tank and a new seat cover and it would have been there, otherwise it looked like it was about a year or 2 old and got me all kinds of attention anytime I rode it to any kind of bike event. I did sell it for quite a bit more than I paid for it but that feeling of deep regret hit me pretty good right after the sale.