Noob mods

GoldenMotor.com

Toothy

Mar 25, 2014
San Diego
These have probably been done before but what the heck.
Did a little fine tuning. The engine mount nuts on the frame (carb side) are doubled up with lock washers plus blue locktight but still worked loose. I added another nut and a final squirt of blue before shrink tubing the set. I’ll let you know how it holds up.

I also scavenged some tubing from my stash of project material and secured the idle screw….seems better than using wire etc. to hold it in place, we will see.

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
those mounts aren't 'working loose' - the studs are stretching, so no amount of loctite or double nutting will help - just check them before each ride till they're done stretching or replace them with stronger studs

that idle screw *should* have had a spring on it that will hold it from turning by itself

Toothy

Mar 25, 2014
San Diego
Good to know...I didn't know the studs actually stretched.
I thought the tubing would be a good idea. I've read several posts where the screw has worked its way loose and fallen out. There is a spring in place as well.

SuperDave

Sep 24, 2011
Panama City Beach, Fl. USA
Juicemoto sells a stud upgrade kit with case hardened, grade 5 studs(8.8 metric). I replaced every nut, bolt & stud on my bike. Locktight red in all the case threads, locktight blue for nuts. Been a few tankfuls of running around since & I can report nothing has rattled loose anymore.

Something else I wanna add, our china girls have a tendency to 'Torque twist', and that can really be **** on the rear mounts. One of my efriends on facebook submitted a tip to use an extra long bolt on the clutch cover so it bites down into the seat tube, locking the motor in place & preventing it from twisting. He says since he did that, all his chain problems disappeared, the motor mounts stay tight and even the vibrations seem less. If you think about it, the twisting phenomena could be why so many of us suffer stripped case threads, nuts working loose & snapped studs in our rear motor mounts. Sure, it might mar the paint, but having a stable, dependable bike is preferable to one that breaks down & rattles loose parts before you can burn thru a gallon of gas, right?

Last edited:

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Good luck ever getting the studs out and not damaging the case threads if you use red Loctite. Red has no place on a motorized bicycle. If you feel a need for a thread locking compound use Loctite Blue, #242. Red #262 is made for permanent installations and will require enough heat to break the bond that you can actually warp the case. Blue will hold just as well without the need for heat during removal.

Tom