Clutch use Q's

GoldenMotor.com

TINKERER

Mar 22, 2008
Minneapolis, MN
I'm curious about using the clutch for stop and go riding. is it ok to use the clutch to get the bike moving from a stop when the engine is running like a regular motorcycle. Is the clutch primarily there just to disenguage the drive? or do I have to pedal and hold the clutch lever in to get moving, i'm just curious about the life of the clutch.

Ilikeabikea

Jan 27, 2008
Ptown, Texas
I would bet that a pedal start even when the engine is running will give you much longer clucth life. I have a 44 tooth sprocket on both of my bikes and I have to slip the clutch more than I like to get them going from a standing start. They just do much better with a pedal start..................

Andyinchville1

Manufacturer/Dealer
Dec 26, 2007
Scottsville, VA
I agree with Ilikeabika...even if you can start from a dead start it is harder wear wise on the clutch (I am a believer in pedaling a little before letting out the clutch)....Of course I think EZRiders Friend is experimenting with a high performance replacement clutch....Maybe
with that pedal less starts would not be a problem wear wise?
Andrew

Easy Rider

Santa Cruz Scooter Works
Jan 15, 2008
Nor*Cal
I'm guilty of working the clutch to get the motor into the power band. For me, I like slipping the clutch a little especially when you're in the dirt. Don't be afraid to work the clutch because Pipelyne/SCSW has quality clutch pucks for sale soon as in next week!

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Very nice, I love to use the clutch for what it is, you should be able to pop it to get a boost of power. I will use the stock one until it fails and will soon be upgrading.

I wouldn't advise "popping the clutch"...slipping it as EZ has mentioned, if done correctly will give you a "boost of power".

Anyhow, even the stock pads are pretty cheap and fairly easy to replace.

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI
lol i do it like my old 66 volkswagon when i was 16. get going as fast as i can and pop the clutch rotfl now if only i had an 8 track player for it

toytime

Mar 20, 2008
Ontario
All the power to ya with popping the clutch but in my view I don't think your motor will be too happy with that. Generally speaking, things that are moving at a million miles an hour don't like to stop so suddenly. I can see broken keys and that is , if you are lucky.
I know we all like to dump our clutch with cars and bikes but lets face it, these China made engines are made out of old beer cans.
On the other hand, I took a rag soaked in Varsal and wet my "pucks" and quickly wiped it off. Now I can just kick off with a foot at a light to get myself moving and can then "pop" the clutch. BUT..I also get a little slippage at high speed and have to react by letting throttle off a bit.
All in all, i was thinking this would make my clutch last longer but who knows.

toytime

Mar 20, 2008
Ontario
That is hard to answer as we all ride in different ways but I would guess that you should be able to get at least a couple of years out of it. You Americans are lucky because I believe you can buy a new clutch for what we here pay for a pack of smokes. $10.00.

RedB66

Dec 28, 2007
Sunshine State
I'm over 600 miles and rarely pedal to get going. I'm guilty of clutching, but I run a 32T sprocket. I usually just push off and go.