Thinking about a bumble bee

GoldenMotor.com
Sep 4, 2009
Texas
If you didn't have a clutch then it would be direct drive so the clutch separates the engine from the drive to keep running at a stop. Cars have clutch, throw-out bearings and pressure plates. My 150cc scooter has centrifigal clutch...rev the engine and it engages slipping a bit till it locks in. Fan blades on some car radiators do this. The HT is more like the cars use of clutch pressure plate & throw out bearing...you push the peddle on a car it separates the engine from the drive....with the HT you pull lever on handlebar. Hope this clears things up a bit.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
A really great and over looked part of our crazy is all the stuff to be learned just by building even a kit. If some one never turned a wrench, that's just the start. Then up from there just by reading, playing around with other MBers.

Is a great and absorbing hobby. There is always some thing new to learn, try or do.

thxcuz

Jul 26, 2012
St.louis
Doing more research. Any info on the island hopper viper? It would look nice on my folding electric that doesn't work. It looks like Dax kit except the website is easier to understand.

Sep 4, 2009
Texas
You should ask Paul about that one he lives on an island LOL

What's the url? there's a lot of variations and vendors out there.

thxcuz

Jul 26, 2012
St.louis
That would work well on this I think

dang thing quit on me and I am racking my brain trying to figure out what's wrong. If its a bad battery it would be cheaper to put the island hopper on it than replacing the battery.
Plus I can fold it, hide it in my shed and my wife wont have to ask me "what the **** is that?"

thxcuz

Jul 26, 2012
St.louis
Maybe....but another ebike guy told me it would vibrate the bolts off. It might on a road bike....but this foldie is built like a tank. Over built if you ask me. A china girl engine may fit in there.

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
I don't see a vibration porblem if the engine mounting is strong enough. I wonder if your friend gave you misinformation that was based on unfamiliarity with petrol engined bikes? I'd sooner trust advice from here, from people who've trodden the path before.

thxcuz

Jul 26, 2012
St.louis
I'm sure that's it. It was a guy who sold electric vehicles so he had a bias. If a Chinese 2 stroke worked that would be awsome....I would have to keep it under 50cc for legal reasons. I would like to mount the engine where the battery is and the tank on the back. Change out the seat with a nanner and paint the whole thing (cant stand the color red for some reason.) I like the idea of electric but it just isn't there yet. Batteries are too heavy and too pricey. Until they can resolve that ebikes are just toys.

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
I just did some surfing and found out there are reviews about them. Have a trawl through and see what you want to do.

thxcuz

Jul 26, 2012
St.louis
It just occured to me... The hub brake in the back rules out the chain drive idea. So I guess it's friction or fix the electronics on it. Anyone have one to sell? Id like to try used if I can.