Pull Start for 80cc chinese engine

GoldenMotor.com

bjpru66

Mar 9, 2008
Arizona
Hi everyone,
My name is Bill and I live in Sunny Tucson Az. 72 here today, good bikeing weather today!
I have a 3 wheel 24 inch Worksman heavy duty 3 speed trike that I am just starting to build with an 80 cc kit.
I bought the optional Pull Start to install. The question I have for anyone who may have installed one of these is;
What is the best method to hold the crankshaft while you loosen the nut on the crank to install the drum and what should the nut be torqued to ?
That's about it for now!
Thanks,
Bill

Last edited:

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI
hi bill and welcome to the forum. i am sure one of the guys can answer but i am not sure. i would definatly like to here how it works. glad to have you with us!

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Push a length of rope down the spark plug hole and loosen the bolt. Make sure you leave a bit of rope hanging out so you can pull it out when you are done.

bjpru66

Mar 9, 2008
Arizona
Hey Guys,
Thanks for all the ideas! I got to looking at it last night after I removed the cover and came up with an idea. I took a flat blade screwdriver, large, about a 1/2" tip and put it between the rotor and the mag coil on the side away from the coil. It worked perfectly , loosened the crank nut right up with steady pressure. The kit is really made as a replacement for the engines that come with auto. clutch and pull start.
You have to do a little fitting to make it work as the crank is a little shorter than the one with factory pull start.I took a little metal off the outside of the pull start drum and radiused the top of of the 4 screws that hold the mag to the case as well as putting a thin, 0.020 thick washer under the pull start drum. It then clearde the mag with enough clearance to move freely. Put it back together and it works great. I think as long as you don't muscle it too much it will be fine,
it other words don't get crazy with it when your engine doesn't start on the first pull.
If any body want's to make the mod. I think you will be pleased.
I got the pull start kit from BOYGOFAST on ebay, No problem with him. I think there is a couple more sellers.
Here is a pic of the parts.
Hey Dax, differnt Strokes for different folks! I personally think that if you can pull start it, it makes it easier for several different reasons especially tuning.
Bill

Last edited:

bjpru66

Mar 9, 2008
Arizona
You don't have to use it all the time as the bike works the same as it worked before you installed it. If it breaks you just pedal start it. Nothing about these kits is very heavy duty, treat them gently and they will be Ok.

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas
One way to lock up the engine so you can remove the crank screw or in your case the magnet nut is remove the clutch side cover and put a shop rug into the gears teeth so as you turn the nut to remove it the rag will jam in the gears teeth so you can remove the nut this will work on all the nuts on the engines shafts. you can also take off the sprocket cover and hold the sprockets shaft with and end wrench. the rag trick works the best in my opinion. One of the guys said to pull out the sparkplug and put cotton clothsline in the hole this will also work but try to get the piston to almost the top of its stroke so some of the rope will not fall into one of the ports. I don't know if you could get that unlucky but I'd not want to find out that the rope became shorter after being in the cylinder.:confused:
Norman

sailor49618

Mar 29, 2008
Tried just about everything but the shaft keep's turning so I cannot get the nut off.
When I try turning the nut the gear's don't move or the piston.
What about taking the cluch off so it would be direct and hold still?
Still lost with a two weel wonder.

Pablo

Master Bike Builder & Forum Sponsor
Dec 28, 2007
Duvall, WA PNW
www.sickbikeparts.com
Tried just about everything but the shaft keep's turning so I cannot get the nut off.
When I try turning the nut the gear's don't move or the piston.
What about taking the cluch off so it would be direct and hold still?
Still lost with a two weel wonder.
Something is broken. Do the rope trick. Put a box wrench on the nut and turn it. Does just the nut turn? How about the shaft?

glenz

Jul 23, 2009
montana
can somebody please tell me where to get this pull start? can't find on e-bay-anybody know a dealer who has them? thanx-g.z.