Is it worth it

GoldenMotor.com

oylavabeer

Jan 9, 2009
Perth Australia
With the cost of a new replacement engine it doesnt seem worth the effort of swaping crank shaft seals pistons etc. I only say this because thats what I recently did and the time I wasnt riding wasnt worth it. All that said I love tinkering.

Al.Fisherman

Sep 9, 2009
Calera, Alabama
If, can you afford the extra between a engine and the parts needed, then if you can the complete engine is the best option. Plus you will have spare parts on hand. I myself wouldn't rebuild the engine. I have had 1 engine tear up (not my fault, bad head gasket...piston, rings, cylinder) and I replaced it. I know that all I needed was the upper end, but should I have another go I have a case intact, no waiting on parts, low down time.

Prices are off Ebay... Most from BGF..which I wouldn't buy so much as a screw from them.

Engine..Case inc piston $67.00

Parts
Piston w/rings $20.00
Crank..$32.00
Crank bgr (2) $10.00
Gasket set.. $13.00
Wrist pin brg..$13.00
Seals.. (2)...$12.00
Head gasket..$5.00 TTL $105.00 +/-

So NOT worth it at all.

Last edited:

Mr.Gadget

Nov 9, 2010
South Carolina
Al.Fisherman,
It sounds like you had a bad run in with BFG. I have done a little bussines with BGF with out any problems. Could you share your experiance with them?

DaveC

Jul 14, 2010
Boise, ID
The 66 cc kit I bought from them came with a defective motor. It flat would not start inspite of a fat blue spark and fuel flow. The replacement motor fired the first time....

Bought a 49 cc. It was dead, too. I gave up on the freaking Chinee motors and got a Morini.

r00t4rd3d

Aug 2, 2010
Internet
Its good to have 2 engines. Ride the crap outta one till it breaks then put in the 2nd while you fix up the first. That way you will always have a back up ready to go and something to tinker with.