How do I Paint Rim without disassembly???

GoldenMotor.com

Ursus

Aug 12, 2010
NYC
Tape off anything you don't want painted carefully with masking tape. Take your time use razor blade to cut off excess..

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
first, clean it as well as you can. then tape off each individual spoke as close to the rim as you can.

if you have an old frame, or fork, or something to put the wheel in so you can spin it, spin the wheel and spray paint it while it's spinning.

just hold the can in one spot more or less and let 'er rip.

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
Use painters grade masking tape. It could prove brutal on your patients getting the tape back off the spokes. Cheap grade generic masking tape sticks tears and can take forever to get back off. So perhaps tape it good but loosely if that makes seance? lol Some body here once suggested a box of drinking straws all cut down the middle with a razer blade and then they would be reusable [for painting of course]

Last edited:

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
Yep definitley do the straws. Its such a pain in the ass to remove the tape otherwise. I just cut a packet of straws with small scissors and it worked a treat. I did it on my villiers beach cruiser. The straws were quick and easy and youd swear the rim had been laced after the rim was painted. No piant on any spokes and no missed bits on the rim around the spoke.

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
Yep definitley do the straws. Its such a pain in the ass to remove the tape otherwise. I just cut a packet of straws with small scissors and it worked a treat. I did it on my villiers beach cruiser. The straws were quick and easy and youd swear the rim had been laced after the rim was painted. No piant on any spokes and no missed bits on the rim around the spoke.
That is a sweet bike Harry, the tank looks to be made of aluminium?

As for the OP's question, I'd opt for blue low-tac painter's tape and straws. Vasaline gets messy and is best saved for your babies bum (diaper rash) laff

halfevil333

May 18, 2010
florida, USA
STRAWS!!! -that's brilliant! ...dont know how many hours gone due to painstakingly masking each spoke &then having to remove it all..heh, I'm def' gonna use the straw trick frm now on!

WattupBaii

Apr 28, 2011
Brooklyn
A good thing to do when painting wheels is to spin them and paint a foot away... it prevents drips and comes out dry most of the time.