Engine kits horrendously expensive round now?

GoldenMotor.com

fishyfish777

Sep 2, 2010
Ann Arbor, MI
My several months old two-stroke pooped out simply from the stresses of winter use and I resolved it would be simpler to buy a new one rather than rebuild everything worn in the old one - but the cheapest engine kits seem to be around $150 even on eBay. Is this price rise related to the quality of the newer kits or just a price fluctuation or a supply shortage or something?

Drewd

Jul 25, 2008
Colorado
when billions and perhaps trillions of dollars are printed by out government, the U.S. dollar weakens/loses value against foreign currencies resulting in an inflation rate that according to today's newsreports is running 10 percent annually. The cost of imported goods is only going to keep rising in price.

fishyfish777

Sep 2, 2010
Ann Arbor, MI
Spring...

Happens every season lol *shrug*
Oh, that explains it. Still a bit crazy that price fluctuates by about 50% or more depending on season and retailers are unprepared for the influx of orders even though it happens every year but that makes everything make so much sense, lol.

Thanks :) I guess I'll attempt to be a bit patient and see if any good deals pop up like what was just referenced directly above by camlifter

Last edited:

Ed Marshall

Nov 17, 2010
Rockford
newsreports is running 10 percent annually.
I am looking at the BLS data on CPI right now, and that is an off the wall, goofy figure. I am trying to parse out some rhetorical way that could be true. Maybe someone predicted that, but it would just be someone's opinion.

When you are talking about import prices, you are adding in a host of other dynamics where the relative strength or weakness of a currency is a side note to the cost-push/demand-pull nature of the inflation. And this is way too deep for a motorbiking forum. Sorry :)

matthurd

Dec 13, 2010
manchester NH
Oh, that explains it. Still a bit crazy that price fluctuates by about 50% or more depending on season and retailers are unprepared for the influx of orders even though it happens every year but that makes everything make so much sense, lol.

Thanks :) I guess I'll attempt to be a bit patient and see if any good deals pop up like what was just referenced directly above by camlifter
it's not that they don't have enough motors to go around, they can just raise the prices, mask it with the time of the year, and make more money. the demand is there this time of year so they can get away with it.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Fishy,
Have you considered buying just an engine instead of a complete kit. That would be a less expensive option if the bucks is your concern. Check with some of the sponsors here for a good deal on an engine.
Tom

DaveC

Jul 14, 2010
Boise, ID
If I could get a Super Rat motor I'd be happy. All I can find is kits and I end up replaceing most of it anyway.

fishyfish777

Sep 2, 2010
Ann Arbor, MI
it's not that they don't have enough motors to go around, they can just raise the prices, mask it with the time of the year, and make more money. the demand is there this time of year so they can get away with it.
I would agree with you if it wasn't for the fact that a good portion of online stores I went to - bikeberry, for example - are actually out of stock.

Fishy,
Have you considered buying just an engine instead of a complete kit. That would be a less expensive option if the bucks is your concern. Check with some of the sponsors here for a good deal on an engine.
Tom
Yeah, but I decided against it as I didn't know whether all my previous mounting hardware, chain, cables and such were compatible and it's always useful to have a spare magneto or throttle or whatever because those parts might break and seem to be more expensive (shipping, too) when bought individually

Last edited: