Greetings from Scootmeister Skunkworks

GoldenMotor.com

Scootmeister

Mar 15, 2011
North Carolina
Hello everyone. This is my first message from the inner coast of North Carolina where you can ride year round. I built my first MB when I was 9, a washing machine engine with kick start on an old cruiser. Basically, there were two speeds, slow and stop!!! From there I graduated to a 50cc Ducati, a Honda 90 and dozens of 2 wheeled speedsters since. I never lost my facination for simplicity, so now I'm back to building instead of buying. I started out with a 2 cycle Chinagirl on a mountain bike which I swapped out for a Grubee 4 cycle with stage II gearbox. I swapped that out for a Homlite chainsaw engine which has the same displacement but twice the HP. I hope to have the bike finished next month. In the meantime I've had a 99 WC-1 Whizzer on life support. At 115 miles, nearly everything has been repaired, replaced or upgraded. I'm hoping to make a silk purse out of a sow's ear!! My next project will be a Schwinn Spoiler still in the box, with a NuVinci hub and a Honda engine. I've gotten many good pointers from this forum and escape here when I'm frustrated or stumped. Will post photos shortly.

msrfan

Sep 17, 2010
Southern California
I built my first MB when I was 9, a washing machine engine with kick start on an old cruiser.

Great story. Was the washer motor a Briggs or Maytag? I have some of both and enjoy collecting all kinds of old engines. Welcome to this great forum.

msrfan

Sep 17, 2010
Southern California
That sounds like a Maytag. The singles are "hit and miss" and only fire when they need to. Put a load on it and it fires more. I have 6 or 7 singles and 3 twins. I made a stand up scooter with a Maytag single from plans in a 1934 Popular Mechanics magazine. I also have a model "Y" kickstart Briggs from a 1946 Montgomery Wards washing machine. They're all a little down on horsepower for a bicycle, but still fun to collect.