My next custom build (maybe)

GoldenMotor.com

msrfan

Sep 17, 2010
Southern California
I'm hoping this will be my next build. I've been having to put it off due to other projects. I hate when that happens. Anyway, I think the frame is an early American cruiser as it's heavy duty and has good rear wheel clearance. Also the rear frame tubes aren't pinched and look very strong. The forks are, you guessed it, off some kind of moped. Heavy duty wheels with huge spokes, moped large front drum brake and moped tank. My usual 5hp Briggs engine with reshaped fins. I'm going for a kinda hotrod look, so I got some cool 1" Harley bars and installed these trick twist grips on both ends and cables run inside and exit between the clamps. Very clean with no levers. One for throttle and the other for the front brake. I haven't totally thought that out yet. Any suggestions? Together with a Bendix coaster brake and heavy duty late Whizzer autoclutch welded to the seat post should work nicely. I also need ideas on an appropriate seat. The standard Messinger vinyl I've been using is comfy and readily available, I have several on hand in different colors, maybe something more retro would be suitable. Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

msrfan

Sep 17, 2010
Southern California
I don't have a clue about the tank. I started collecting them about 25 years ago and it's one of my nicer ones. I believe it's NOS and I've never seen another.

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
Every ting is awesome. The only problum I see is the engine I don't think it can set at a slant like that. They have a oil splash system and it may not get oiled good that way. Maybe you should get a honda clone with a slant cylinder like the ones from northerntool.com. I think they are 6HP Good luck ....Curt

msrfan

Sep 17, 2010
Southern California
Well, actually, I run these motors like this in most of my bikes. Been tilting them for over twenty years. No problem. But thanks for checking it out. I appreciate all input.

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
Want to see some pictures of the reshaped fin when you get them done? The only thing I can think of is the dip system must be in front so it gets planty of oil.........Curt

msrfan

Sep 17, 2010
Southern California
Sure, Curt. The sump is the whole bottom of the engine, so tilting it just moves the oil forward and up a bit, but still is in the right place for the dipper. I just round out the cylinder to make not so recognized as a Briggs engine, and countersink the headbolts for axtra clearance.

grinNbarritt

Jun 4, 2010
Orcutt CA
Forgot to say the forks n front hub are very cool looking too! looked on moped army, and clinton mopeds came with Sachs motors and were built in Iowa

Last edited:

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
Thats KOOOOL. This old fart is never to old to lean something new. do you run without the cover and shrouds?
Back in the late 50's I biult a motor bike with a 1 1/2 HP Briggs and to go faster I honed and ported gained about 10mph. But only lasted a couple months and the crank went flat from over reving..........THANKS.........Curt

Last edited:

msrfan

Sep 17, 2010
Southern California
Thats KOOOOL. This old fart is never to old to lean something new. do you run without the cover and shrouds?
Back in the late 50's I biult a motor bike with a 1 1/2 HP Briggs and to go faster I honed and ported gained about 10mph. But only lasted a couple months and the crank went flat from over reving..........THANKS.........Curt
I usually run a smooth flywheel with no fins and make a custom guard. I do anchor the head to the frame. Got to have triangulation. Check my other threads for complete construction details.

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
I usually run a smooth flywheel with no fins and make a custom guard. I do anchor the head to the frame. Got to have triangulation. Check my other threads for complete construction details.
You bet I will. Got to check all options.........Thanks

msrfan

Sep 17, 2010
Southern California
Still gathering parts for my next build. Using an old Bendix rear coaster hub, like I've never seen, and a large front moped brake. All laced with 1/8" spokes. Those should stop me nicely. Got some cool Kenda solid white tires that go with the red rims and the rest of the bike (flat black or gray). Found a great Messinger gray seat at the Long Beach swap meet a while ago. Still need to attach the Whizzer pulley to the rear wheel. I have a small 26 tooth front sprocket for easy starting and engine clearance. Also gives the bike an older look. Have to bend the pedal crank to miss the engine. Next step is to get the mounts welded onto the frame, make some tank brackets, weld the center double pulley pivot to the seat post, etc. etc. I'll keep plugging away until I have a pre-assembly.

msrfan

Sep 17, 2010
Southern California
Re: My next custom build

I'm back on this project again. The photo shows my engine mounts, made from 1/8'' flat stock and fitted to the bike frame, motor base and cylinder head in a triangle configuration. Holds the engine in securely and strengthens the frame.

Next photos are of the clutch, arm and bracket that gets welded to the seat post behind the motor. A spring attaches to the arm pulling up tensioning the belts while the center mounting bolt hole is slotted allowing the belts to self center. The 3 bolts around the perimeter of the pivot are to secure it to the bracket, and the three set screws are to adjust for tilt when the assembly starts to sag and misalign.

It will become clear when I get all these parts welded on. More photos as I get more done.

msrfan

Sep 17, 2010
Southern California
Healing up nicely from surgery and back on the project. I made a jig to hold the engine block parallel to the centerline of the frame. The photos show it all clamped up and ready to weld the mounts. The right hand cantilever bar blocks the spark plug slightly, so I'm going to cut a half moon slice in it and weld a curved piece back into it. Should look clean. Next on the list will be a steering stop so the bars wont hit the tank. Then a bracket welded onto the seat post tube that will support my Whizzer centrifugal clutch pivot. After that, I can get it back on two wheels and see what's next. Stay tuned, still lots to do. Like make the compression release, assemble the motor, fit the belts , make cables, balance the flywheel, mount the tank, make the carb intake, make the exhaust pipe, make a shroud for the flywheel side and the primary drive pulleys, figure out a fuel valve-hose-filter, make rear axle adjusters, etc. etc. This list is for my review as I go along.

wayne z

Dec 5, 2010
louisiana
Hey MS, have you given thought to spreading or squeezing the tubes to a semetrical compound curve, to miss the sparkplug?