I need some great tips here please!

GoldenMotor.com

Hawaii_Ed

Feb 22, 2009
Honolulu, HI
Heya, I was moving and missed the thread LOL!

Yes, I have a big frame 4300. I am 6 feet and 200 lbs, and I bought it years ago as a pedal commuter. I think it is a 19 or even 20 inch frame.

all the tips so far are great, you can also try flipping that mount 180 degrees, so the holes are below the engine. I have mine mounted that way. Other than that, it looks like the low profile filter from sick bike parts might work on there? It is going to be close for sure!

All of my build is over here:
New performance bike build - MotoredBikes.com: Motorized Bicycle Forum

Ed

NerpAngel

Sep 28, 2009
Ellensburg,WA
hey so it looks like you put sheaths over your cables on the top? That's my only problem right now.. I can't figure out how to get the gas tank on without squishing those little cables!!! :(

NerpAngel

Sep 28, 2009
Ellensburg,WA
I was reading your post and saw that a couple times you fixed up your shift kit by moving things around like gears and chains? Isn't it hard to move the sprockets when you've locked the set keys in with some sort of locking compound?

dag_29307

Jul 1, 2009
Enoree, Sc.
Hey NerpAngel the easiest way to run your cables below the tank with out crushing them is to use foam pipe insulation under the tank an put the cables between the foam and the top tube this will also help to hold your tank in place.

dag_29307

Jul 1, 2009
Enoree, Sc.
here is what it looks like it is just foam rubber you put around your pipes to keep them from freezing in the winter. You just put that between your top bar and the tank with the cables under it and you are good to go.

here...Shop Frost King 1/2" x 6' Self-Seal Rubber Pipe Insulation at Lowes.com[com.lowes.commerce.storelocator.beans.LocatorStoreBean%4032a17c%2C+com.lowes.commerce.storelocator.beans.LocatorStoreBean%40502f217c%2C+com.lowes.commerce.storelocator.beans.LocatorStoreBean%405571e172%2C+com.lowes.commerce.storelocator.beans.LocatorStoreBean%40194b6170%2C+com.lowes.commerce.storelocator.beans.LocatorStoreBean%4048086176]&NttParam=&Ntt=pipe+insulation&isQvSearch=searchQV&URL=TopCategoriesDisplayView&langId=-1&langId=-1&mastheadURL=TopCategoriesDisplayView&storeId=10151&storeId=10151&Ntk=i_products&qvRedirect=%2Fpd_21364-1410-RS510XB%2F6_0_%3FproductId%3D3132405%26Ntt%3Dpipe+insulation%26Ntk%3Di_products&ddkey=http:productDisplay

Attachments

NerpAngel

Sep 28, 2009
Ellensburg,WA
Really now.. weird it wouldn't catch squeeze the cables to the frame :) btw here's a picture of my cables just to show you what I'm dealing with..

JTinFL

Feb 4, 2010
Port Charlotte,Florida
Perhaps you could cut a piece of PVC pipe lengthwise,1/2" or 3/4",dependant on the size of your tube.Then bevel edges to conform to tube diameter.Then use rubber electrical splicing tape to hold in place and give gripping for gas tank.Just a thought.

dag_29307

Jul 1, 2009
Enoree, Sc.
Ok now that's a horse of a different color. Why don't you get a couple pieces of stiff rubber like that from a hockey puck and use a dremel or a drill to make two holes through it then cut it to shape. and put that on your frame over your cables so your cables will run under it. use tape to hold that in place and mount your tank on those. Or you could build your own tank. It's not that hard if you can solder. I just made my first tank and it was not as hard as I thought it was gonna be.

Attachments

Last edited:

NerpAngel

Sep 28, 2009
Ellensburg,WA
Ok guys.. i don't know why i didn't say this before.. But the studs that come off the tank won't fit around my frame!!! :( what do i do!!?????

drhofferber

Jun 22, 2008
hey nerp..get that package???I have a large tube frame and i didnt have problem...other than i went to lowes and got a set of copper straps in the plumbing section..the are soft and plyable...works great...talk to me...just sent another...Dennis

Last edited:

NerpAngel

Sep 28, 2009
Ellensburg,WA
Ya man it totally got here!!! I freaked out and ran out to my back garage to try them. Sadly the short one doesn't give my carb enough room, but the offset one works perfectly! :O!

What did you do with the set of copper straps? I'm confused...

drhofferber

Jun 22, 2008
nerp...if you want to use the small one you have to cut about 1/2 in off that small screw in piece...good luck...have fun...i'll send a pic on the straps...