Hello from Maryland!

GoldenMotor.com

ZRTMWA

Feb 23, 2010
Baltimore, Maryland
Hello to all!

I hail from teh suburbs of Baltimore Maryland and I am looking to buy my first engine kit. I would like it to preferably be 80cc and with chain drive, electric start, all that jazz. However the bike I have at the moment:

*Link Deleted* (2009 Giant Boulder SE, can be viewed on their website under: 2009 archive: Mountain: Sport: Boulder SE)

is only 20" (the Large size) :-||

Are there any kits that will fit this bike? I have heard it actually depends on the shape of the frame and not only the size.

Anyone know of a kit???

Thanks.

EDit: By the way how much does the average kit weigh? SOrry for all the n00bish questions.

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
Welcome to the forum ZRTMWA, glad you joined us.

Not familiar with your bike so not sure if the 2-stroke Chinese engine kit will fit. Here is a link to a temp-plate that you can print out and use to do a test fit.

http://www.zoombicycles.com/downloads/engine-template.jpg

Most 24" or 26" bicycle with diamond frame and horizontal top tube should have sufficient space to mount motor.

At least 12.5 inches running along the seat tube from the top of the bottom bracket to the bottom of the top tube.Tubing size from 1-1.5inches on the both the seat and down tube. Plus or minus 70deg. above the bottom bracket between the down tube and the seat tube. Inner distance between pedals needs to be greater than 4.5 inches in width to clear the 4.5inch wide motor.

There are other options like a rear mount engine kit. And the above is just a general size of frame, many have squeezed into much smaller frames.

So far there is no electric start with the Chinese engine bicycle kit. But they are very easy to start.

ummm, I forgot how much a kit weighs :oops: I am sure someone else remembers.

stevolandis

Feb 20, 2010
NE Pennsylvania
Welcome. I actually have a Giant Boulder(a bit older than 2009) in my basement I was going to use for this kit(after trying a few other bikes). The engine needs about 1" more of clearance- soo close. I think you MIGHT be able to get this engine to fit, but to change the spark plug you'd have to take the engine out. You could find a used bike the kit would fit, get a kit, and try your Giant. If it doesn't fit, use the other bike.Older style bikes with small diameter frames and lots of space work well, as well as cruisers- cruiser bikes are almost built for engines. You can probably find a free-$40 old bike- make sure it's sturdy. I've never heard of an electric start bike, but after the first few starts, you can just pedal a little, 3-5 mph, and release the clutch. There are pull-start kits for as low as $20(piratecycles.com).
Check out the ads along the side of the page- they sell kits. If you're willing to wait for spring, piratecycles will offer an amazing super-high performance kit- check it out- they have info on it now. Bikeberry has a large selection of engines. Grubee engines are known as the Rolls-Royce of engines- chrome, good quality. Kits are usually 20-25 lbs.
If you get some performance parts, like an expansion pipe($65- lots of power) and/or a shift kit($150-210-250- adds gears) you can have some good speed and power.

P.S. If the bike has a large down-tube, consider getting a large frame adapter from sickbikeparts.com- you won't have to drill a hole in the frame.

Last edited:

ZRTMWA

Feb 23, 2010
Baltimore, Maryland
Thanks for the great info guys!

I tried the temlpate, it seemed to fit fine but maybe I was doing something wrong.You guys can tell me, here is a link to my bike, just delete all of the spaces:

http:// www2 . giant-bicycles . com/en-us/bikes/mountain/2281/32125/geometry/?collections_id=4

Sorry I didn't mean electric start, I just meant the ability to start it while riding, which is the "pedal 3-5 mph while riding and release clutch" thing.

What size was the frame on your Boulder steveolandis?

I would definitely get the "large frame adaptor" thanks.

What your guys' stance on these cheap ebay nos kits? Here is one (again delete all of the spaces):

http:// cgi. ebay. com/ebaymotors/Dirt-Bike-Pocket-Rocket-Nitrous-Kit-w-5-NOS-Refills_W0QQitemZ320404599863QQcmdZViewItemQQptZRace_Car_Parts?hash=item4a999a3437

Also is there a forum concensus on the best/ most popular speedometer?

Last edited:

stevolandis

Feb 20, 2010
NE Pennsylvania
All engines are pedal start(I think).
My Boulder frame( measured from the inside) is: top tube-21" Bottom tube-23" Vertical/seat tube-14".
If your frame is 2+ more inches, it'll be a tight fit. Here's a pic of the one I have(it's missing a few parts). I haven't done anything with nos- I've heard it's bad for the engine, could put a hole in the piston. There's some topics on NOS- do a search. For power, you can get a $65 expansion pipe- this is widely supported. Also, you could buy a shift kit($150-210-250) for a range of power. Also, check out a $20 boost bottle, some people say it doesn't do anything, some say it helps a little, some really like it, say it helps a lot.

Attachments