Recomendations

GoldenMotor.com

Tcams

Oct 18, 2009
Tucson, ZonieLand
Im going to be upgrading some things on my stock cranboob.

Im thinking about getting a freewheel and getting rid of my coaster break because I want to try something new and see if I like it. What do you guys think? Whats a good freewheel to buy!!

If I get a freewheel I will need front and rear brakes. What are some brakes that work well?? I cant afford disc brakes at the moment.

Im also going to be getting Jims Mount. Cant wait!!!

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
I would suggest that the first thing you spend a single dollar on is the best brakes!!
Get away from the mindset of buying 'goodies' first, & something as important as good brakes as a second (less important) purchase!! ;)

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
If yer swappin' out hubs anyway I'd recommend drum brakes. Disks are great, but if yer runnin' the standard drive chain arrangement (no shiftkit) then I'd worry about the rear disk gettin' fouled with chain lube. I just picked up a set of front and rear Sturmey Archer drum brakes... but with a three speed rear and a dyno front (obv cost more lol), I'm pretty sure their drum hubs w/o such "accessories" are like 50 bucks or less... sounds kinda pricey till ya remember it's yer hub AND brakes lol

Not that it matters - but they look awesome too ;)

Last edited:

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
you can buy heavy duty wheels for a good low price at bikepartsusa.com, bikeworldusa.com, and niagara cycle works. look for the ones with 12g (105) spokes, shimano hubs, and weinmann rims.

if you can't afford discs right now, just buy some good ol' calipers. they're pretty cheap.

but you know you're gonna have to buy new wheels again if you want disc, right?

me personally, i love coaster brakes. not the ones that come on huffy's, though. them ones are lousy...

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
orly? wanna race? /throws down glove

gdangit - yer hidin' alla way o'er on the other side of the country o.o *makes chicken noises*

A freakin' shame, I'd love to lose a race w/you lol

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Mr. Zonie- Check your Cranboobs wheels to see if they have a rim that will work with a standard side pull set-up.
Mine was. I have always (lucky maybe?) just added the brakes to the front, it's a five minute deal.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Since I can not edit my posts (my steam powered computer is giving me fits) I will say- "I CAN spell "wheel". ;)

Tcams

Oct 18, 2009
Tucson, ZonieLand
me personally, i love coaster brakes. not the ones that come on huffy's, though. them ones are lousy...
Tell me about it. Thats why I was going to try something new. They really piss me off sometimes, the noises they make. Sometimes I feel like their going to stop working everytime I go for a ride.

Thanks for all your advice. They really gave me some ideas. I post upgrades!!

Finfan

Aug 29, 2008
Tucson, AZ USA
Check out my setup on Saturday if you make it. I have a Shimano rear coaster brake, a rear side pull caliper brake and a front drum. I may not always be able to get my bike going, but I can definitely stop it when I need to!