Help With Idle

GoldenMotor.com

lbm323

Jan 20, 2009
South Gate
The bike was working fine for a while maybe 3-4 months then i dropped it an broke the kill switch. it wouldnt work somebody here told me to unplug it and it worked out, now the idle is all screwed up. it idles really high and if i hold the clutch it just revs up. what can it be and what can i do? could it be the throttle cable. i took it apart and made sure it was working properly. can also someone put a diagram how a carb should be assembled? i see the idle screw adjuster but it doesnt seem to be connected to anything

Sydneysider

Mar 20, 2009
Sydney
could be the piston in the carby is not dropping right down and blocking air intake at closed throttle. You can see this by taking off the air filter and peering inside the carby.

Last edited:

Jacksonney

Apr 5, 2009
Lawrence
Hey, i am new to this forum. I just built my bike with the engine and everything is great with it, but when i try to stop, lets say at a red light, the engines shuts off, and i have to pedal and start the engine up all over again. I tried to pull the clutch, but if i pull the clutch, the engine ****s off as well until i let go of the clutch while the bike is in motion. the only way i keep the engine running, is with the clutch pulled and i am also twisting the throttle. please help, thanx!

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
The bike was working fine for a while maybe 3-4 months then i dropped it an broke the kill switch. it wouldnt work somebody here told me to unplug it and it worked out, now the idle is all screwed up. it idles really high and if i hold the clutch it just revs up. what can it be and what can i do? could it be the throttle cable. i took it apart and made sure it was working properly. can also someone put a diagram how a carb should be assembled? i see the idle screw adjuster but it doesnt seem to be connected to anything
The idle screw does not connect to anything, it merely moves the slide up to increase the idle. I would start off by checking for a vacuum leak.

I would also agree with Sydneysider, you could have your slide in wrong.

Post #2 ...... http://motorbicycling.com/f3/bike-diagram-5429.html

Last edited:

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
Hey, i am new to this forum. I just built my bike with the engine and everything is great with it, but when i try to stop, lets say at a red light, the engines shuts off, and i have to pedal and start the engine up all over again. I tried to pull the clutch, but if i pull the clutch, the engine ****s off as well until i let go of the clutch while the bike is in motion. the only way i keep the engine running, is with the clutch pulled and i am also twisting the throttle. please help, thanx!
Have your tried to adjust the idle screw?

Cabinfever1977

Mar 23, 2009
Upstate,NY
if your engine shuts off or idles too high,adjust your idle stop screw in or out.
you can replace your kill switch with another push button one from hardware store or radio shack,make sure you have one or you will have to use your choke to turn it off and it might not.

Earthman

Mar 24, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
I suggest you check the throttle cable and throttle cable adjustment. Something may not be adjusted properly or its gone out of adjustment. Maybe one of the ends of the cable jacket isn’t seated properly. If the adjustment on the throttle cable is too tight, the engine will always be getting a little gas and it will seem like the idle is too high.

If you have to, take apart the throttle and disconnect the cable from the twist grip so it has enough slack and the throttle spring can pull it all the way in. See if that helps - working the throttle manually with the cable end. If it does, the cable needs adjusting.