My Felt 1903 build progress

GoldenMotor.com

Home-made J

Sep 16, 2008
Santa Cruz, CA
So here's where I'm at...I got the tank sealed up and the filler cap and petcock installed. I also fabbed my mounts as you can see. I balanced my crank also. Between the rubber cushion mounnt and the balancing, it should be a much smoother ride. I'll be installing the clutch kit upgrade as well.

Attachments

NEAT TIMES

May 28, 2008
PENSACOLA, FL
J, LOOKING GOOD!! IS THAT BLUE PIPE A PARK BICYCLE STAND? I SEE THE CLOTH OVER THE CLAMP JAWS. I RECENTLEY BOUGHT ONE, HAVE NOT USED IT YET. HOW DO YOU LIKE IT?? I DID NOT KNOW THEY EXISTED 4 WEEKS AGO.laff RON

Home-made J

Sep 16, 2008
Santa Cruz, CA
yeah it's a park stand...just a cheapie though ($80). it works great, but I would recommend paying a bit more and getting the one with quick release jaws (mine has a crank arm that closes the clamp and it gets in the way of the frame in some positions) and a knobbed height adjustor instead of the allen bolt tightening system.

NEAT TIMES

May 28, 2008
PENSACOLA, FL
J, Thats The Same Model I Got, $99. Delivered To My Door. Was Supposed To Get A Free Alum Water Bottle That Has Not Gotten Here!! Keep The Pics Of Your Build Coming!! It Will Be A Keeper For Sure. Ron

Clotho

May 25, 2008
Well done!

Looking great!

You will have to vent the gas tank in some manner. My cap looks about the same as yours. I used a brass fitting and a hose like on a dirt bike. It seems to work well.

I also experienced some flex in the bottom bracket under load. I reworked the motormounts to stiffen the area and it seems to have solved the problem. If your bottom bracket flexes you will feel it in the peddles so keep that in mind when you first try it out.

I look forward to seeing your progress!

Home-made J

Sep 16, 2008
Santa Cruz, CA
Hey clotho...how did you change the mounts? Was it an angle thing? On my first build I felt the rattling in my peddles all the time, but I had no shock absorbtion on those mounts, and it was a 1947 Monark steel-tube frame which evetually gave up. The weld failed where the down tube hits the head set. I think it would have failed no matter what, but it could have been aided by the force you are talking about...so how did you change it so you couldn't feel the vibes in the peddles? here's some pics of the first build.

Attachments

Clotho

May 25, 2008
It wasn't so much a vibration as it was a twisting action on the bottom bracket. I have had time to think about it and I don't think you will have a problem. I use a shift-kit and the drive is to the bottom bracket. Yours doesn't so the drive goes to the rear wheel. I solved the problem by extending the motormounts to meet at the bottom of the V and added extra U bolts to hold it there. This gave the bottom bracket the added stiffness it needed.