New member wants to add motor to homebuilt trike

GoldenMotor.com

revrob

Dec 17, 2013
Montrose Pa.
Hello everyone,
I'm so glad I finally found a place that can help me on a special project.
I live in the Endless Mountains of Pennsylvania. Which means, there are lots of "hills."
I built a really cool Trike that steers in the back and the front single wheel is the drive. It works good except on the hills, does anyone have any ideas on a very cheap motor add on?
I'd like to send a picture but can't figure out how to. and help?

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?...0811069580185.465457.546125184&type=3&theater

Last edited:

revrob

Dec 17, 2013
Montrose Pa.
yes, the steering was kind of a challenge, so instead of expensive stabilizers, like on the front of a car, I actually have bungee cords counteracting the wobble. One of the first prototypes, was hard to control anything over 5 mph's now, as long as you hang on! you can easily do 15 maybe 20, but no sharp turns or it will roll. The main drive wheel, was larger, but it was higher than the back, so I couldn't get traction up hill, I put a smaller 20" drive wheel, but I only have one speed, gearing is a problem I'm really hoping to find a 3 or 5 speed 20" drive wheel, with the old fashion internal gears, they're out there, but I don't have the $ to get one yet! It's a challenge up hills, that's why I want a motor assist. I also have a recumbent bike I love, but the hills we have kill my knees..

eho35zooma

Dec 20, 2013
SLO, CA
Congrats on your trike, ah it sounds heavy & killer. Though my advice on motorizing it might seem elementry, there are rules of thumb if you plan to engineer a motor assist to your sweet trike. I have made my own motorized bicycle. This was my idea, it is kinda simple. Find out what PI means. You will need a gear reduction system tied to a small hp engine. I built my own gear box with what I believe were four pulleys; 2 on 1 shaft, 1 on the other & 1 on the engine output shaft. Mine ran front tire by a hardware small lawnmower tire and a 4 cycle weedeater motor. I was long winded, but it did run for a good year, 12 years ago. You can buy new used motors in 2.5 hp range cheap. Go for it. Using the internet for advice and parts will bring you up to date on the timed tried motto of: [submit your answer here]

eho35zooma

Dec 20, 2013
SLO, CA
Congrats on your trike, ah it sounds heavy & killer. Though my advice on motorizing it might seem elementry, there are rules of thumb if you plan to engineer a motor assist to your sweet trike. I have made my own motorized bicycle. This was my idea, it is kinda simple. Find out what PI means. You will need a gear reduction system tied to a small hp engine. I built my own gear box with what I believe were four pulleys; 2 on 1 shaft, 1 on the other & 1 on the engine output shaft. Mine ran front tire by a hardware small lawnmower tire and a 4 cycle weedeater motor. I was long winded, but it did run for a good year, 12 years ago. You can buy new used motors in 2.5 hp range cheap. Go for it. Using the internet for advice and parts will bring you up to date on the timed tried motto of: [submit your answer here]