Have you ever ridden your Motorized Bicycle in the snow just for fun?

GoldenMotor.com

mabman

Oct 4, 2008
In the wind
Re: Have you ever ridden your MB in the snow just for fun?

Yeah, well my pipes are all insulated and those that aren't are drained cause I don't like to lay under my house in the middle of the night thawing pipes, that's nutz!laff

Thaw on,

Mabman
.cargo

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania

Thanks Joe, ayup. You are right.

Bummer about the pipes. Solar powered heat tape? I ain't kidding. Laying under a house in the cold is not fun.

Just want to test resizing with MS paint. Testing 1,2, 12..

Wohoo. Free and easy .fly

Attachments

Last edited:

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now

Well, if I drained my pipes, it would be called a vacation house! ;^)

The pipes are insulated, just not enough apperently....I have not had a problem before, even when it was a lot colder. The problem was due to the 35-40 mph winds and the -0- degree temps.

It was nuts, but if I waited until morning, they may well have burst, which is even more fun to fix.

jasonh

Jun 23, 2008
Longmont, CO

Can't you just leave a faucet running really slowly to keep the pipes from freezing?

I've gotta say, I used to hate not having pictures inline with the posts, but now that my work is blocking photobucket, imageshack, etc, I'm really enjoying when they are attached, I can actually see them, lol.

mabman

Oct 4, 2008
In the wind

Well, if I drained my pipes, it would be called a vacation house! ;^)

The pipes are insulated, just not enough apperently....I have not had a problem before, even when it was a lot colder. The problem was due to the 35-40 mph winds and the -0- degree temps.

It was nuts, but if I waited until morning, they may well have burst, which is even more fun to fix.
Feeling your pain Joe. You are right though that it is better to get them before they burst. If you have an arc welder you could just zap them also. And the only pipes that I drain are my hose bibs. It doesn't get as cold as that here, but I have lived plenty where it does and colder.

My $9 Hardware Sales plastic snow shovel has been getting a work out here. Everyday it seems there are 5 or 6 more inches. It is out on loan to the neighbors right now helping to clear their parking lot, they have been at it since 9 this a.m. and still aren't done. The only snowplow in town about tore off our mailbox last night sometime so I have to go fix that now.

Mabman
.cargo

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania

Nice ride Unraw! looks sharp. Is the head light a flashlight?
Thought the pics of your "tester bike" were great. Would JB weld fix the tank leaks? The snow bank one cracked me up. I was toying with the thought of a starting system you use. Some sort of pneumatic that could be pumped rather then a pull start.

Is funny, right now my tester bike (read beater) is the only one left running.

Last edited:
Sep 20, 2008
Clearwater, FL
web.tampabay.rr.com

Hi,

Not all my projects look that half done. That bike is just the bike that I try new ideas on. I have built around 10 MBs and they were for other people. My other MB looks much better and is properly maintained, and assembled. It is my daily driver to work and around town. This one is just half done and I was just having some fun in the snow with it that day.

Nice bike!

It's good to know you have some experience! The last thing we need to see is you burned with a fuel tank wrapped around your head appearing in the news. I know it's unikely...that's why they're called accidents.

It's inlikely the exposed mag could set it off...It takes a flame or spark to set gas off. The connection between the CDI and plug is not sealed. You can get arcs around the plug wire cap.

If a woman can win a law suit because she spilled hot Mcdonalds coffee in her lap, you can believe it won't take much to stop the "dangerous to the public", import of engine kits.

Your post was funny and I realize you were just having fun...just don't show it to anyone else :D

I really do have a new tank that you can have for the cost of shipping if you want it. $5.00

Jim

frankz

Jul 12, 2008

easy beans..........did for whole last week....
get that cheap chain on the roll and a small linker wrap it real tight around your tire good to go.............

but me i just take my work boots out and cold suit and keep my feet out......its not brain science here is a neat ole example YouTube - Motorcycle Ice racing WIPEOUTS, COLORADO

fun as can be...... i ride mine up the interstate 50 degree in the snow when its closed for fun

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now

We used to just screw in very short sheet metal screws, but I don't think it would work on a bicycle tire.

jasonh

Jun 23, 2008
Longmont, CO

I've read of a lot of people using sheet metal screws on bike tires. Worth a shot if you have a crappy set laying around.

unraw

Oct 30, 2008
Grunthal, Manitoba, Canada

Nice ride Unraw! looks sharp. Is the head light a flashlight?
Thought the pics of your "tester bike" were great. Would JB weld fix the tank leaks? The snow bank one cracked me up. I was toying with the thought of a starting system you use. Some sort of pneumatic that could be pumped rather then a pull start.

Is funny, right now my tester bike (read beater) is the only one left running.
yup, that is a flash light. It worked good and was quite bright but the batteries didnt last long once it turned cold, so I bought a headlight from norman which is even brighter than the flashlight was. As for JB weld, I tried fixing the jet in my carb once with it and as soon as the float bowl filled up with gas, the JB weld turned to rubber and it didnt stick. So it would probably do the same on the gas tank. That starting system, how does it exactly work? Sounds interesting!.sno. (Man, I'm liking all these new MB smilies)
Nice bike!

It's good to know you have some experience! The last thing we need to see is you burned with a fuel tank wrapped around your head appearing in the news. I know it's unikely...that's why they're called accidents.

It's inlikely the exposed mag could set it off...It takes a flame or spark to set gas off. The connection between the CDI and plug is not sealed. You can get arcs around the plug wire cap.

If a woman can win a law suit because she spilled hot Mcdonalds coffee in her lap, you can believe it won't take much to stop the "dangerous to the public", import of engine kits.

Your post was funny and I realize you were just having fun...just don't show it to anyone else :D

I really do have a new tank that you can have for the cost of shipping if you want it. $5.00

Jim
Hmmm... I might just take you up on that offer. I suppose it is bad for the MBers reputation if we drive them around with no brakes, exposed wires, leaking gas cap etc. I'm planing on taking this bike apart come spring and repaint and rebuild it and out fit it with brakes and pull start or some other starting mechanism. Has anyone ever tried the centrifugal clutches of these engines? Are they any good? I would want to do it in winter but we dont have a heated garage so that sucks..wee.
Edit: I put a different gas tank on from a lawn mower. No leaks! even when its tipped on its side
http://i499.photobucket.com/albums/rr352/unraw/DSC00131.jpg

Last edited: