how much is enough?

GoldenMotor.com

streetpirate

Dec 9, 2011
oregon
I recently started tinkering with custom bikes, and love the idea of a motor. My question is how much power will be enough? I would like to have non-pedal assisted starts and power to get up hills, but only really want a 25mph or so top speed. The stretch cruiser I'm building will be pretty heavy and I'm a fat guy, so figure 280-300 combined bike and rider. Is a cheap, simple build out of the question? by the time I purchase everything will I be better off buying a cheap small displacement street bike? I was thinking a briggs and a jackshaft is about as complicated as I would want to tackle. I know there is no way to get something street legal that will do what I want in Oregon with their 32cc limit.

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
A stock China girl motor should be able to pull you at 20 mph. You will have to pedal a bit from stops to reach cruising speed. If you live in a hilly area, a jackshaft/shift kit will help more than a larger motor.
Some of the rear friction motors like the Subaru are powerful and reliable but may not be suited to a damp climate.

leadfarmer

Sep 30, 2011
VA
That is a cool looking frame. Rear suspension can be a problem for a motorized bicycle. Someone with more knowledge than my one build will come along. Anyway you're off to a good start with that frame. Keep going and post pics.

wayne z

Dec 5, 2010
louisiana
Yea, awesome frame! Screamin for a Briggs, or a 99cc Predator. A spring loaded idler will take care or swingarm/chain or belt tension issues.
Are you gonna use pedals?

Ibedayank

Oct 29, 2011
Columbia Tennessee
powered by motor alone makes it a motorcycle
lack of pedals also makes it a motorcycle

motor assisted bicycle means just that a motor to ASSIT you
by going to a bigger motor you risk you bike being impounded and paying fines/jail time

wayne z

Dec 5, 2010
louisiana