2-stroke electric starter??

GoldenMotor.com

brentemmons

Mar 28, 2011
Danbury N.H
I had a thought what if you cut a hole in the mag side cover just big enough for a socket then used a cordless drill to start it.After your done make a holder for it to rest in until you need it again.Simple yet affective,I have started a lot of 2 strokes this way wile working on them,just turn it the right way.

just my 2 cents worth

Ruby478

Apr 2, 2011
Dallas,Tx
rear kickstand + alternator mounted above the rear wheel ..........by on the kickstand you can use the alternator to start the motor ...........it's basically the standard pedaling way of starting minus the pedaling.... and once the motors started just raise the kick and shove off

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
That is a dynamo used on the pocket bike and scooter engines. It both starts the engine and powers the electrical system/ charges the battery. It bolts up in between the pull starter and engine case on the right side. The crankshaft is extended further out and the dynamo rotor engages over it. The crank shaft is specific to the electric start engines and is different than the pull start only engines.
My daughter's pocket bike is electric and pull start. My Razor scooter is pull start only.
Both have nearly identical engines. Back when there were a few pocket bike/ scooter dealerships around I went to one and asked about converting my scooter to electric start. Both the sales man and the mechanic informed me that the crank shaft would have to be changed out; and after totaling up the cost of all the parts involved mechanical, electrical and whatnot, and myself doing all the labor, it would be cheaper to just replace the whole engine and buy the specific electrical items seperately.

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
Unfortunately that arbor would not be compatible with the way the dynamo rotor attaches to the shaft.
Now what I am thinking is what if there were a custom made extended nut that would replace the rotor nut and accommodate the scooter dynamo? Don't forget that it also doubles as a good generator too.
Hmmmm.....
It would require wider pedal cranks, but that's no big deal.

Now I am thinking harder on this possibility.......

Last edited:

rohmell

Jun 2, 2010
New York
Yes, I am not suggesting that the specific arbor shown in the link would work directly, but it gives an idea of what type of contrivance would be needed to extend the shaft.

Of course the scooter mechanics would suggest a new shaft or engine, or whatever, because they have $$$ in their eyes.
But, with a little bit of ingenuity, I am sure that a solution can be found.

John the Chimp

Jun 4, 2011
Simi valley ca
I would put a one way bearing on a shaft. Like on an rc car. That wouldnt be that hard to adapt Etherwise someone will end up missing some teeth.
I know a guy that thought it was a good idea also. He now eats corn on the cob a little funny. Lol.

Stormsorter

Jun 10, 2010
Jasper County Illinois
I may be a little late and long winded but here's what I might do with my Stiletto. It's basically the same thing as the kick start someone in the thread mentioned. The basic idea is to find someway to attach a freewheel or one way bearing to your jackshaft and a way to crank it with the back wheel of the ground.

Find out the size of the keyed shaft on the shift kit and get one an inch longer. Then goto Station Inc and get a freewheel, the free wheel adapter that matches the outer diameter of your shaft and a shaft collar if you don't already have one. Looks like SBP uses 5/8 so you can get your longer shaft at Station Inc to. Now the tricky part. Find a 540 (I think? its the size they use in power wheels and most drills) sized electric motor and find some way to drive the freewheel bike sprocket with it.

Even with just a 6v SLA or 7.2v RC battery pack these little motors should be able to turn over an HT, as long as you remember to lift the back wheel off the ground. And they are cheap less than $5 if you don't have to pay shipping. Here is and example of one such motor at about $12 shipped. Or you could just yank one out of an old cordless drill or Power Wheels.

Shouldn't be to hard to attach a chain sprocket to one of these motors. My plan is drill a hole in half inch long piece of rod and another hole for a set screw. Then weld that centered to a metal plate big enough to weld to the smallest single speed bike sprocket I can find handy or cheap. I'm sure there are other ways but that's just what came to mind.

Now if someone could just tell us how if even possible what ferball said about using the same motor to start as an alternator once the engine kicks in, I might actually use this setup. Otherwise the Stiletto gives me plenty of room for the cheaper simpler pull start option.

Or with the right gearing weld an old bottom bracket with the sprocket and one crank arm somewhere and run a chain from it to a freewheel on the end of a jackshaft. It's a lil out there but I would like to see someone doit lol.

Another random thought. I bet someone could turn one of the pull start kits into a kick or electric somehow. Might have to look into that if I buy one for the Stiletto.

Sep 4, 2012
America's Hi-five
what about a gear mounted over the magneto (like a pullstart but toothed on outside), grind a little out of the case so the gear sticks out of the mag cover at the top or bottom or side, combined with a snowblower/lawnmower starter with the gear and bendix. Probably as wide as a pullstart kit...

I like the idea of that craftsman dealy-o though. simple, but requires a drill, and getting off the bike.