I find the Tanak PF-4000 ear shattering loud !

GoldenMotor.com

katoomer

Jul 15, 2010
Rose City MI
I was shocked after finishing my kit built today. Threes no way I can use this motor. I have a tandem bike and my wife sits nearer to the motor. She'd have to wear ear plugs absolutely. I don't think I'll use this engine again. I'll have to see if I can switch. I'm not going down that road where I would try to string a big modified exhaust on the bike. I like the compactness of those standard box type mufflers.

The prior kit engine I had on the bike was a smaller engine so I guess it figures less sound but Wow I can't believe anyone would use a kit with a stock engine like mine in any populated area.

katoomer

Jul 15, 2010
Rose City MI
Yea !! Can you belive it. I had the belt drive kit prior to this. When I bought that around 2002, it came with the Zenoah 25.4cc It had a surprizing amount of power. We had us and camping gear totaling 450 lbs on board plus the bikes weigt itself and engine weight on one trip. We've climed steep hills too. Not on the same day with the camping stuff.

I'm going back to that engine. The sound level was more like a common stringtrimmer. The Tanaka 40cc sounds like a very loud chainsaw. And I'm talking more like a big 20inch or better saw. I had a 3.3 cu in. ( about 57 cc ) Poulan chain saw and its louder that.

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
Are you using the stock can on the Tanaka? I don't find them loud at all, but then maybe I'm half deaf. I've run all Tanakas on my stand-up scoots, from the PF26cc to the 47R with stock cans and racing pipes. Granted the racing pipes are very LOUD, but the stock cans I find rather quiet outside of WFO. My hearing is going though...

corgi1

Aug 13, 2009
KCMO
Love it when one of those hollowed out no baffel mufflers show up,must have been quittin' time at the muffler factory lol

katoomer

Jul 15, 2010
Rose City MI
Its brand new and stock and supposly has catalitic converter. They probably left out the baffle to make room for the catalist ? Its so loud I'm up front on the tandem with no passenger. So further from the engine than a single bike might be. I really need ear plugs. Well, at some point I may get a chance to have the sound checked because around here the DNR has sound checks for ATV's. I might have it checked to see if it passes the ATV standard. I dought it would.

Can that Subaru 035 be picked up anywhere quick. Do lawn and gardern shops stock these motors ? I might go on a trip thursday and I'd like to take it with me with that engine.

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
Its brand new and stock and supposly has catalitic converter. They probably left out the baffle to make room for the catalist ? Its so loud I'm up front on the tandem with no passenger. So further from the engine than a single bike might be. I really need ear plugs. Well, at some point I may get a chance to have the sound checked because around here the DNR has sound checks for ATV's. I might have it checked to see if it passes the ATV standard. I dought it would.

Can that Subaru 035 be picked up anywhere quick. Do lawn and gardern shops stock these motors ? I might go on a trip thursday and I'd like to take it with me with that engine.

Yeah the Tanaka Pure-Fire 40cc does have catalyst in it and should be baffled also...I wonder what's making it so noisy? You might contact the place you got the kit from and ask for an exchange stock muffler...it shouldn't be all that loud, really.

virginian

Dec 19, 2009
McLean VA
Yeah the Tanaka Pure-Fire 40cc does have catalyst in it and should be baffled also...I wonder what's making it so noisy? You might contact the place you got the kit from and ask for an exchange stock muffler...it shouldn't be all that loud, really.
I agree. It just should not be very loud. Something is wrong with it. Try to find out what and get it fixed.

professor

Oct 14, 2009
Buffalo ny area
Don't know what it looks like, but weld up a little box adapter onto the muffler- to take a cigar shaped Briggs muff. - you need a pipe coupling, a street elbow and the muff. cost under 10 bucks.

happyvalley

Jul 24, 2008
upper Pioneer Valley
The exhaust note of these 2 stroke utility engines bothers some, others not.
I'm one who doesn't like it at all.

I've tried a number of exhaust solutions, fabbed up can type mufflers, and found I can reduce the noise, I can quiet the engine way down, however the more I muffle the noise the more the engine suffers power loss.

Also, another thing, perhaps something like 40% of the exhaust note is coming back through the intake so simply using a muffler isn't going to do it all. I know of one MBer who fashioned both exhaust muffler AND intake muffler as well with pretty good results though it should be pointed out he's using the GP460 engine which is a real screamer.

The 2 stroke rack mounts I have are with Mitsubishi engines, which are according to the factory are supposed to be"whisper quiet", LOL. They are quieter than some of the clones but still noisy.
I've found about as good a solution as any, also cheap and easy, is to use 12" of black, common automotive heater hose attached with a worm clamp and pointed toward the ground. (I'll mention when I do this I always remove the spark arrester screen inside the muffler) It really does take the edge off.

The other real solution is a 4 stroke motor, Honda or Robin, and there's also Titan but I know nothing about them. I use the Robin 35s and I still use the 12" of heater hose on them. I like them quiet, lol. I've looked a lot but Staton is the only supplier of Robins I know of, the Honda 35 can be bought in a number of the engine warehouse places.

I'll eventually go electric someday for that very reason but only when battery technology and my budget align themselves.

Last edited:

katoomer

Jul 15, 2010
Rose City MI
I'm going to give the Robin 35 a try. The Golden Eagle folks have them also. They've been good to me and I'll be picking one up Thursday from them. I'v never had a small four stroke. I'm hoping for the best soundwise. It didn't seem like the Zenoah 25.4 cc I had was that loud. But I haven't used that motor since 2004 so I can't compare them. It probably needs new carb diaphram by now. I have the engine only and I'm not going to try to start it just to compare.

happyvalley

Jul 24, 2008
upper Pioneer Valley
Yes, of course Dennis would have the Robins, don't know why I blanked on that.
I'd be surprised if you don't like the EHO35s, sweet running motor. (remember what I mentioned about the heater hose too, adds even a bit more stealth)

Funny, in some circles many rave about the cheap "clone" 2 strokes from places like harbor freight. They're probably up over 100 decibels and give me a headache.

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008
Are you using the stock can on the Tanaka? I don't find them loud at all, but then maybe I'm half deaf. I've run all Tanakas on my stand-up scoots, from the PF26cc to the 47R with stock cans and racing pipes. Granted the racing pipes are very LOUD, but the stock cans I find rather quiet outside of WFO. My hearing is going though...
I've run the Subaru 35cc, TLE Mitsu 2.2hp, 4.5hp GP460 and a used Tanaka 47R engine on my bikes. The Subaru was the quietest, Mitsu was almost as quiet with an ADA S1 pipe. 460 was deafening with a Dominator pipe, but pretty quiet with the ADA pipe. Tanaka 47R was deafening with the ADA pipe. I noticed that the Tanaka's exhaust flanges were cross-threaded. When I repaired that and installed the Mitsubishi's muffler, things became much quieter. I have a Scooterguy frame-mount with shift kit, so the Tanaka is an inch away from my left knee. Only the 460/Dominator and Tanaka/loose ADA pipe bothered me, but no headache.

At age 64, my hearing is excellent. My secretary in the next cubicle calls me by whispering my name, and I ALWAYS answer. :)

Loudness is subjective. There are hundreds of obnoxiously loud mopeds riding on the streets here, so people don't seem to notice my loud bicycle.xct2

Last edited:

katoomer

Jul 15, 2010
Rose City MI
Well, I been out of motor bicycling for a few years and am getting back into it. After talking to some folks and reading here. I may have just forgotten how loud my previous bike motors really were. I'll be able to compare some other engines soon for myself. Someone told me the difference in the four strokes is they have a better tone but are not that much quieter. I have the Subaru 35 now also and am about to try it soon. I want a good blend of power and quiet too. I'm thinking about trying the 50cc Honda. I run a tandem bike and frequently climb some pretty steep hills.

Nitrohorse

Aug 1, 2008
I have an HS 49CC 4 cycle. I used the stock exhaust with a modification to fit the frame. It's quiet
enough that I can carry on a normal conversation while seated on the bike with the engine running.
I do early morning breakfast runs on Sundays and need a bike steathly enough that my wife doesn't know that I heading off to eat artery clogging bacon and eggs....
I also think a quiet bike draws less attention from the local police.

rohmell

Jun 2, 2010
New York
katoomer, can you do me a favor, please?
Look on the PF-4000 Carburetor for the Walbro part number.
I would like to get one of those carbs for a project that I am working on.
Thanks.

g1manalo

Oct 23, 2010
san diego ca.
i have a tanaka 40 ON GEBE, i wear ear plug, i also have a honda 35, alot more quite. I'll live with the tanaka loud exhaust but get the performance. Ear plug is my solution.

Last edited: