Centrifugal Clutch Option?

GoldenMotor.com

MikesBikes

Nov 28, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA USA
Is there a centrifugal clutch option available for my Chinese two stroke? I don't like either killing the engine or holding in the clutch when coming to a stop. Is there a better option? .duh. mikes

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
Yes. A few vendors advertising on this site sell them. You will have to deal with a pull start though. The few centrifugal clutches that advertise the ability to let you pedal start the engine.......don't. Mine included. I took it off, didn't care for it. It will eventually go on another build in the works.

foureasy

Jul 9, 2009
tucson
theyre nice, but out of balance and pressed together off center instead of welded.
and im just about done testing and tuning my own adaptation of the stock peice.
the small gear is trued and welded (without disturbing the heat treatment of the teeth of course) to the clutch bell.
the bell is also fully welded.
the clutch is tuned for a later engagement (or stock if you prefer).
will ship within 1 week
$80 to your door

i wasnt planning on offering this for sale yet so i have no pics until sunday.
i dont have a pullstart on this motor, i start it by holding the rear tire off the ground and kicking it over. the one way sprag has never had a failure that way.

8hp test bike

Cabinfever1977

Mar 23, 2009
Upstate,NY
You start the engine with the manual clutch pulled in, then after its running and you want to move release the manual clutch,now when you stop you dont have to pull the clutch in, til youre dine riding it, then i usually would pull in the manual clutch, so that the next time you start the bike it wont take off on you.

Im not sure how hard it is to install,mine came with one installed but i always still pulled in the clutch,sure made mounting the engine hard and had to change the peddals to short ones and mount engine alot higher.

If i knew what i do now,I wouldn't have got a engine with pullstart or centrifugal clutch due to the need for special peddals and they make the engine alot wider on both sides.

If you're at a stop light, you don't have to hold in the clutch cause it has a locking lever.

Last edited:

Russell

Apr 19, 2009
MA
My BGF c-clutch came missing the three spot welds. Once I took care of that, it has been great!
However I can bump(pedal start) using the c-clutch. I have a pull start but only use it if I stall at a light. Two seasons with no problems.

Attachments

Maxvision

Jun 13, 2009
San Diego, CA
I visited my parts supplier last weekend. He just got a China girl 2stroke w/ centrifugal clutch and pull start to see if they're any good. Engine starts by pop starting with hand clutch or the pull start. Tight looking little package and not much more expensive than the regular china girl engines. He and I both were pretty impressed with it.

Fabian

Sep 9, 2009
Australia - Melbourne
Excellent work foureasy - very refreshing to see someone with a finished product that can be purchased.

Do you make this conversion with a one way bearing so it can be pedal started by those who are using a SickBikeParts shift kit.

Fabian

foureasy

Jul 9, 2009
tucson
thanks fabian, yes, there is a one way sprag. i never had a problem with it either, its just a little irritating to install.

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
Nice work Foureasy you definitely have had the right bike to test it on(^) Can these clutches be ran wet? Does this come with the cover like you are using. I have not seen these much. Don't know much about them. That is one sweet bike!

Last edited:

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
Very true. Morini engines have an oil bath transmission and the clutch is very much exposed to the oil.
However......
The OP started this thread concerning the Chinese 2 stroke centrifugal which seem to not have a chance in he!! if they get slightly wet. Also consider that the unlike the Morini engine, the Chinese transmission is not a oil bath type but rather a greased type. The grease must be replenished on a frequent basis, and if too much is used then the stock clutch and some times the centrifugal clutch as well may become contaminated with grease. If this happens then you must partially dis-assemble them and clean them thoroughly.

foureasy

Jul 9, 2009
tucson
@goat
i have been thinking about a little oil bath, the clutch i have on my bike has the highest stall speed that these auto clutches can handle. after repeated takeoffs the clutch gets pretty hot, so hot that i have to run it without the cover on. i would even like a higher stall, but other than the heat, a higher stall would probably rip the spokes right off the wheel. i have yet to find a 24" rear wheel with disk mounting for the sprocket.

@gear nut
you are right about the stock clutch, too much grease makes it slip. the first time i hit the power band on this bike with the gilardoni cylinder, it slipped the brand new, perfectly adjusted, and completely grease free clutch all the way to the redline. that clutch stood absolutely no chance. i had no issues with the alukit cylinder and the stock clutch, but it only made 5.3 hp. with only my testing to go by, i would say that 5.5hp is probably the limit of the stock guy. so, my point is that i welded the flywheel to the ring gear on the stock clutch and eliminated the lever. which is why i can only roll the bike when its running. there is no pedaling on my bike anymore, the last time it ate a piston i had to ditch it in some bushes and walk home.

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
Let us know how the oil bath works out with the C. clutch. Thanks Four.

Yes we got off topic with this sorry O.P. . But I would say his questions got answered. With the jiber jaber at the ready he will have even more answered I am sure. I was picking Fours brain a little. I got a reason to believe the China Centrifugal clutch will work fine in a oil bath. But don't know as question was for Foureasy. If this will not work who tried it and where is the link?

Dig deep in the forum and you will find out that the china has been ran wet before with different style clutch pucks as well. Now these are not stock china's and were experiments. As for the op sorry if off topic seamed offensive! I was unaware that we got so official here?... all of a sudden?

Yes the stock china clutch with the stock china should be fine. I have many miles with the stock China manual clutch puck style never ran wet or over greasy they have been just fine never had a prob with it . Have not ran a Centrifugal clutch yet.

Yes it is true the op should know this is off topic that a stock China is ran dry!!!! It is very important to clarify what a stock China is!!!

As for the stock China clutch [manual one] it needs grease applied to the gears and the clutch actuator [The part on the left side rod and bearing] as needed. And not too much because centrifugal force will sling it into the China's clutch pucks causing slippage. Any thing not in a oil bath needs manual grease applied as needed. To the gears etc not the pucks or shoes.

Last of all a souped test engine is gonna help design one heck of a nice Centrifugal clutch! I love the innovation here on this forum! Thanks for sharing! Enjoy the ride!:)

Cabinfever1977

Mar 23, 2009
Upstate,NY
If you don't have the hand clutch disengaged,then when you pullstart the engine the bike likes to jerk or move forward,espacially if your idle is high, so for safty reasons i would have a manual lever to go along with the centrifugal one.

You pull in the manual clutch lever when starting engine,then engage the manual one when taking off for the first time,then you dont have to use the manual one when riding and stoping,but at the last stop when you want to get off i would disengage the manual lever,that way the bike is in like a neautral gear.