Winter riding -20 and up to -50 winterpeg

GoldenMotor.com

Elmo

Sep 3, 2009
Mississippi
At -40 degrees I would have trouble riding the bike because the only place I would ride it would be to make laps around a hot stove.
When I was in the service (many years ago) i did some snowshoeing and skidoo riding at -20 in FAR northern Maine. Not for me anymore. I don't like riding now when it is below freezing.
The first winter I was in Maine I didn't know to change my tranny oil in my V.W. and couldnt move the shift one morning. Put a heater on it till it warmed enough to get it in nuetral. Next morning held the brake ( it would move in neutral) and spun the tranny till it would get warm enough to shift. Put some lighter oil in it and had no more problems. Maine sure was a shock to an ol southern boy who had been no further north than Jackson, MS.
My hat is off to all of you who brave these kind of temps.
Elmo

AnthonyX99

Oct 13, 2009
Winnipeg
It's nice to some guys where in the military for awhile like myself as long as the windchill's not severe I should survive with layers.

Riding Rich

Aug 14, 2009
pa
I guess the main question i have is what sprocket to run.

36T had a hard time starting my slant in 6in snow today.
With some work i got it.

Spun the back tire the whole time.
Not too bad of a thing cause thats
the only way i could get going without peddeling.

I rode with 1 foot on the ground most of the time.
If i put a 50T on am i gonna be able to start it?
On snow and ice?

I know it will be easier to start off but if i can't start it i aint going anywhere.

AnthonyX99

Oct 13, 2009
Winnipeg
You may have to get a centrifugal clutch and pull start I plan on using a 500 watt electric scooter for really cold days. I dunno if using a bigger sprocket well reduce wheel spin it might make it worse because the gears not heavy you could go smaller than a 36 might help or maybe buy studded tires for the ice.

Last edited:

Humsuckler

Jul 28, 2009
Ontario
tie a rope to a beam in your shed, garage, or "bikehouse" hang up the ass end a few inches by the seat....

hold clutch, crank pedals and start. NP's

Riding Rich

Aug 14, 2009
pa
hardly possable with the slant i got.
Barle can turn it movin bout 5 mph with all my weight.
But there is snow out here too.

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
i'd get some neoprene diving gloves and socks. i used them for climbing steel towers all over the country in sub zero weather, so they gotta be good for holding on to handlebars.

the best part about them is when they get wet, they get warmer, like a wetsuit.

i've tried just about every glove, and every get warm gimmick out there, and the diving gloves are the best. you can also do things with them, like thread nuts and light cigarettes without taking them off.

i'm gonna get me a set, even though i live in california. i'm used to the weather here now, and 50 is freeezing to me...

camlifter

May 4, 2009
acme labs marion ohio
were talking degC* right, -20c ain't all that cold, a few years ago it got down to -32F* here, now that was cold, i couldn't push down the clutch pedal in my car to try and start it that morning. had to put heaters under the car to warm up the fluids.
but once you get any cold wind blowing on you from riding at speed, now thats cold.

skbd

Howdy , I'm in Montana and have ridden my 2-strokes for the last 4 winters in temps as low as -20F. Choke it, pedal it,and start, usually within 100 feet. I use a 36 tooth sprocket on one bike and a 40 on the other and have had no starting or traction issues. I use studded tires on both bikes and feel comfortable going 25+mph on bullet-proof ice. Loose snow is more sketchy, especially with hidden ruts,but I have done many 5-8 mile rides in up to eight inches of fresh with no real problems. I wear my ski gear including face mask and of course goggles and stay nice and cozy. For the first time in 2 years my 4 stroke is running well constantly(gear box problems in the past not engine issues, I'm on my fourth primary gear and bell housing in a grubee stage 2 but that's another thread).The Honda does great in the cold and snow. I use studded tires and have cruised at 32 mph on ice I could see the ground through ( New England powder ha!). I feel 73% safe and hope this new drive gear makes it through the winter.Oh yeah I guess I should mention that I use a 44T on this bike and can get up to 37-38 mph on the flats on a dry road (I weigh 160 lbs.) Anyway, winter riding can be fun. Get the right clothes and tires and see what you can do.

Blakenstein

Sep 15, 2009
Alta. Canada.
Yea Skbd, you're right about that loose snow, it is sketchy. When I run into that stuff ,I shift all my weight to the back and take as much weight off the front end as possible. That way the bike stays straight and does not get thrown all over the place.
Here is pic. of my winter bike;

Attachments