what did you do to your motorized bicycle today?

GoldenMotor.com

Cruise

Oct 2, 2013
Australia
So I gave the jet solder and drill trick a go....
First thing to go wrong was the float bowl gasket disintegrated as soon as I took the bowl off. Made a replacement from dense cardboard with oil rubbed into it to get me out of trouble (bike is my primary transport).
Next I wisely soldered the pin side of the jet, so spent sone time clearing that out as I'm sure the pin wants a clean environment to do its thing. Drilling the jet was no probs.
Now I have a long ride required today so better take a second plug and keep an eye on lean-out symptoms.
Good fun to tinker of course.

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
I'm waiting on a set of bits for carb jetting myself. Figured it was finally time to get all my junk running as good as possible.

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
I'm waiting on a set of bits for carb jetting myself. Figured it was finally time to get all my junk running as good as possible.
Nothing like having a well tuned carb, can take a dawg and make it into a nice little stout screamer HT

I dont think some people realize how much performance is lost to a poorly tuned carb and overly restrictive exhaust, those two things alone will kill the potential of one of these little Hina Girl engines.... and cleaned up ports and better balnce adds even more performance and is nice to have an engine that will buzz down the road instead of that horri le brap brap brap........ soumd.

Map
.wee.

Cruise

Oct 2, 2013
Australia
Took it for a nice big ride to an appointment. Did a quick plug chop and found really dark tan. I'll fit my new bowl gasket soon, (from blank gasket paper), then check how it's all going again.
Had almost a small crowd talking to me at the shops about it. Usually you get the odd comment, (as many in the forum would know) but I got a month worth all at one shop!!

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
The main thing motivating me is too much four stroking around my normal cruise rpm.
Just sounds so crappy when it's blatting and missing at trailing throttle.
I know I can clean it up quite a bit with some time invested...just been too lazy till now, but with the FredHead and the GenV coming back online it's time to step up my game!

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
The main thing motivating me is too much four stroking around my normal cruise rpm.
Just sounds so crappy when it's blatting and missing at trailing throttle.
I know I can clean it up quite a bit with some time invested...just been too lazy till now, but with the FredHead and the GenV coming back online it's time to step up my game!
Yep you'll be happily surprised at how much more you'll enjoy the ride when the carb is tuned right and it just buzzes along without all the brap pap pap pap brap pap pap pap......

The better balanced lower and a better cooling head is a good thing, I have one of Jakes New heads on order and its hopefully gonna be here in a couple weeks.

Map
.wee.

Cruise

Oct 2, 2013
Australia
My motivation is to not break down because of some preventable reason, leaving me stranded. This is most likely to occur after working a long shift, in the rain, in a place I really shouldn't leave the thing locked up for theiving mongrels!!

Jumpa

Aug 12, 2011
Cape Cod
Dude!
2. Remove tank from bike. Drain all fuel. Let it sit open overnight in an outdoor location(but covered so rain won't get in it) to vent fuel vapors.

6. This is THE MOST IMPORTANT PART: Bake the tank in an oven at 200° for one hour. This is why you MUST make sure there is NO gas fumes remaining in the tank, or your oven may catch fire or even explode..
Is it normal the fact I get a big grin on my face imagining the oven door exploding open by some numbskull that may not have gotten all the gas out of their tank ?

Seriously though...if you have access to dry ice some gas.companies will use dry ice to evacuate vapors from under ground gas tanks. I guess by law they have to use it. It works pretty good too. When ever Im about to paint my tank I drained the gas remove valve, then filled it with very hot water and Dawn soap det,I shake the bejesus out of it drain & repeat till I smell nothing I never tossed one in the oven though

Cruise

Oct 2, 2013
Australia
Took mine for a spin after rejetting it smaller again. Getting much better mileage and nice tan plugs. Bit more pull too. Isn't it nice when things just work.
It was nice to cruise along the beach for a bit with no real plan too.

Jumpa

Aug 12, 2011
Cape Cod
You know Dave I was thinking after watching your video man he looks like a cross between Kyle petty and Ted Nugent So I clicked on Kyle Petty then remembered his son Adam Petty and I also remembered the fact he died at the Loudon NH speedway so I looked him up to see a picture of him & was shocked to see he passed away 14 years ago to the day May 12th 2000 talk about weird huh! . So here's to you Adam Petty The first 4th generation NASCAR driver ever. R.I.P. son!!

SuperDave

Sep 24, 2011
Panama City Beach, Fl. USA
Is it normal the fact I get a big grin on my face imagining the oven door exploding open by some numbskull that may not have gotten all the gas out of their tank ?
Yes, completely normal.

Seriously though...if you have access to dry ice some gas.companies will use dry ice to evacuate vapors from under ground gas tanks. I guess by law they have to use it. It works pretty good too. When ever Im about to paint my tank I drained the gas remove valve, then filled it with very hot water and Dawn soap det,I shake the bejesus out of it drain & repeat till I smell nothing I never tossed one in the oven though
I never thought about using dry ice before but that would work great for displacing gas fumes. VHT is enamel paint that is resistant to chemicals, including gas, but it has to be properly cured (i.e. baked) for those properties to manifest.

You know Dave I was thinking after watching your video (http://youtu.be/uxHMqGT2Zak) man he looks like a cross between Kyle petty and Ted Nugent So I clicked on Kyle Petty then remembered his son Adam Petty and I also remembered the fact he died at the Loudon NH speedway so I looked him up to see a picture of him & was shocked to see he passed away 14 years ago to the day May 12th 2000 talk about weird huh! . So here's to you Adam Petty The first 4th generation NASCAR driver ever. R.I.P. son!!
Kyle Petty & Ted Nugent, huh? Never heard that one before. But thank you, I consider both individuals to be swell folks & I'm honored by the comparison! :) Going fast & jamming to hard rock are two of my favorite things, sometimes simultaniously! (I can't drive 55!)