Your Bicycle is a great hub grinder!

GoldenMotor.com

Nashville Kat

Apr 20, 2009
Jacksonville, Florida
Got an old traditional ten-speed or mountain bike alloy hub you don't think the sprocket will fit?

Take a good look at the hub: if it is like most, theres lots of alloy there on the other side, and I think the threads on the frewheel side may just be cut into the same kind of piece-

I just ground down the side of a traditional Schwinn 10 speed hub simply by turning the bike over, and holding a flat metal file against it as I pedalled the wheel.

It's it's own grinder! Hold the file about halfway across the bare alloy side and it cuts a nice groove that stops the sprocket about an eighth of an inch from the flange-

The alloy grinds easily, and there's a lot of thickness there- but take care! My old standard sprocket now fits over this, but I'm not ready to put a motor on yet. Takes several minutes.

Also here is 34 tooth sprocket I got on ebay (seller dadjohnr) for about $10 shipped, and I've drilled 8 holes in it to bolt directly onto the large flange hub-

(I'll have to take this one still somewhere else to get the middle hole drilled to the usual size, but I may try grinding it myself- as you can see, it's quite minimal, 34 teeth, and if I can get it attached this way, will be EXTREMELY lightweight.)

Also notice it's OFFSET out at the teeth, to keep it away from the frame's chain stay!

Attachments

Last edited:

Nashville Kat

Apr 20, 2009
Jacksonville, Florida
Oh yeah- also wanted to mention:

Notice the alloy annodized "bear trap" pedals.

I have a pair on my Peugeot PX10 as well- As a former USCF racer I thought maybe they were too clunky being so wide-

But I was anxious to finally lose the clips and straps which were always scraping the pavement when I started out- I don't wear cycling shoes anymore, and at 55 with back troubles can't ride drop bars

Anyway the old lyotard pedals finally broke and similar BMX annodized old school vintage pedals go for a mint on ebay- so these were the inexpensive light choice-

I was pleasantly surprised when I first rode them- the wide pedals actually seem to give you some kind of mechanical leverage advantage when you lean forward on them off the saddle-

And with the mX bars you can really get over them and practically fall forward-

so while I won't take any large field sprints, for my leisure and excersize purposes now, I highly recommend these pedals

search "bicycle pedals" and see dealer Abaxo on ebay for best price, a number of colors, and FAST shipping.

Last edited: