Hey from S.J.

GoldenMotor.com

Decedent

May 15, 2009
Calif.
What's up peoples? One Question for yall. Does anybody know about the CA law for motorized bikes and why alot of people won't ship motor kits to CA?

Forbisher

Dec 28, 2008
Orange County, CA.
What's up peoples? One Question for yall. Does anybody know about the CA law for motorized bikes
Motorized gas powered bikes are legal in California

M2 drivers license,
moped license plate on the bike,
ride in bike lane OK,
No insurance,
must wear DOT helmet,
less than 30mph on level ground,
Maximum of a 2-speed automatic transmission that is incapable of being manually shifted,
capable of Human Propulsion ie Pedals,
less than 2 brake horsepower,
2 or 3 wheels.

The CA law says nothing about the size of the motor.

Last edited:

Easy Rider

Santa Cruz Scooter Works
Jan 15, 2008
Nor*Cal
What's up peoples? One Question for yall. Does anybody know about the CA law for motorized bikes and why alot of people won't ship motor kits to CA?
There's a couple of local dealers in San jose. Call Pipelyne and see if Dean can help you out.
408 279 2307

Hi5

Jun 2, 2009
San Jose

M2 drivers license,
ride in bike lane OK,
No insurance,
must wear DOT helmet,
Maximum of a 2-speed automatic transmission that is incapable of being manually shifted,
2 or 3 wheels.

Nice. Thanks for all the info. Where did you find it? Was it word of mouth or through an CA official website e.g. CA DMV

I've been trying to figure out the laws myself but found contradicting stuff online and when its through word of mouth I always get different answers.

Decendent, where in San Jose are you from? Good to see more and more people out here getting into these things. Eastside/Evergreen here.

Decedent

May 15, 2009
Calif.
Whats up Hi5? I keep hearing so many different things about the laws too. It's pretty frustrating because I'm looking to buy a reasonably priced motor kit and every place online won't sell or ship to Ca because of these CARB or AQMD restrictions.By the way,I'm closer to the cupertino side of S.J.

Hi5

Jun 2, 2009
San Jose
I wonder if that was you I saw near my Mom's house. I was going up to her home and saw someone on a MB at Nieman Blvd/Golden Dew Circle.
Maybe! lol, I ride my beach cruiser which can easily be mistaken for a MB. Was it black and gold? I see a couple of people on motorized bikes riding around but I'm usually in my car driving so I can't stop and talk to them.

Forbisher

Dec 28, 2008
Orange County, CA.
Nice. Thanks for all the info. Where did you find it? Was it word of mouth or through an CA official website e.g. CA DMV

I've been trying to figure out the laws myself but found contradicting stuff online and when its through word of mouth I always get different answers. .
I do not rely on word of mouth......or idiots spouting their mouths off online

the info below is from DMV, CHP, Huntington beach city website and
others that have been into motorized bikes for 10 years

M2 drivers license,
ride in bike lane OK,
No insurance,
must wear DOT helmet,
2 or 3 wheels.

TerrontheSnake

Jun 1, 2009
Oregon

M2 drivers license,
ride in bike lane OK,
No insurance,
must wear DOT helmet,
2 or 3 wheels.

Not to be argumentative but I just viewed the Moto manual for Cali and it does state everything you just said except that it says must be no more than 149CC. I could have read it wrong though. I'm jealous anyway, because I've found out all my rights and laws in oregon. I'm not supposed to be over 36cc here.....Bummer, O well I push a 70 anyway but I am very courteous and polite about my riding.

Forbisher

Dec 28, 2008
Orange County, CA.
Not to be argumentative but I just viewed the Moto manual for Cali and it does state everything you just said except that it says must be no more than 149CC. I could have read it wrong though. .
Yea, you are wrong....:D
149 cc refers to motorcycles and not motorized bicycles

I am getting tired of explaining this over and over to every newbie :D

TerrontheSnake

Jun 1, 2009
Oregon
Wow,149cc. I couldn't find anything about the motor size. Was that the motorcycle DMV book?
It was copied into another thread somewhere on this forum, like I said I probably am wrong being I'm not from CA. Like I said though I'm only supposed to use a 36cc, I use an occ chopper though and I was worried about power uphill mostly because you just can't peddle it up a hill worth a crap.