Check Every Time Guys

GoldenMotor.com

TeddyB

Jan 19, 2008
alto michigan
I neglected to check all my fittings before the last three or four rides and its going to cost me!

On the last ride the bike seemed to be running rough at about 25 mph so I began fiddling with the mixture screw.

After the third adjustment I noticed in almost shock one of my rear motormount bolts was almost half way unscrewed and the other one was broken off.

So now I am down to no bike to ride and I havent ordered my engine for my second build yet. I should have ordered it last week.:(

My attempts at extracting the remains of the bolt that broke off flush have failed so far,and local machine shops dont want to touch it unless I split the motor in half.

I dont know if I am capable of that! Is there a bearing or something I have to press out to accomplish that job?

Help!!

Ted

Ilikeabikea

Jan 27, 2008
Ptown, Texas
I broke one of mine off. Only it was a tad below flush. I drilled it and got it with an ease out. So it can be done.The only thing was when I was drilling it it kept going on in. It wouldn't have taken much more and it would have fallen into the engine. So I lucked out. I actually had to do that twice. That was when I changed my front motor mount to the hole drilled up through the frame. Never had anymore trouble with it after that..............

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
Remember what I said this bike is like a woman she will not be ignored. My China Girl needs attention BEFORE you ride her. rofl

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Definitely use an E-Z out. Also, that is not a mixture screw, it an idle speed adjustment screw.

Loctite, Loctite...

TeddyB

Jan 19, 2008
alto michigan
I have heard it called both things. Seems on my bike if the engine is purring like a kitten I cant get the bike over 25 mph,if I get it idleing at a faster rate I can get around 29 mph. with it. Not that I want to go that fast on a bicycle.

Just seems when I get the bike back on the road and I almost get it figured out where the bike performs best it breaks down again.

So maybe purring along at 18 to 20 mph is best for these things.

I almost want to try a rear sprocket with less teeth ------so I can go about 25 without the engine screaming and vibrating so much. Cept I live around a few hills and I might suffer some on the hills.

Ted

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI
teddy i went to a 40 tooth sprocket and i can cruise at around 27 mph and thier is tons left and engine runs smooth. anything past 31 and it starts to vibrate bad and things break lol

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI
michigan is pretty flat so not many hills. the ones we do have i go up no problem and really don't loose much speed. i can go up a long (1 mile) hill that is not real steep at 27 mph with ease. the steeper hills are not as long but have no problem with them eather. with my electric bicycle i have to pedal assist up the steeper hills and with my 70cc motorized bicycle i can cruise right up them

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI
i see you are in michigan also lol should have looked. i think you would be very happy with a 40 tooth

TeddyB

Jan 19, 2008
alto michigan
Well the easy out did the trick, it was way easier than I thought. The bike is running really good. If it gets a little warmer out I might just dare to ride it to work (about 15 miles) Im just trying to figure out what is a must for the tool pouch, what are you all carring and have ya needed it ever?
Ted

Ilikeabikea

Jan 27, 2008
Ptown, Texas
One tool I never leave home without on my motorized bicycle. A cell phone. I just call the wife or a friend and have them come get me. Lots easier than roadside repairs..........:D:D

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Small locking pliers, one each screw driver (the Ace Hardware kind where you have one of each in a red handle), a 10mm wrench, spare master link(s), and a plug and plug wench.

Never NEEDED any of it, but it's a piece of mind.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
I have used a screwdriver to remove the clutch plate so I could at least pedal it home. Turns out i went real slow and th wheel didn't collapse.

Now to why I am answering this... Today I hopped on the bike to go to the cycle shop for a tube for my neighbor's childs bike. He found some of my screws I had dropped.

I for some reason known only to the gods of chance checked the little dome top of my carb and it was about to fall off. I screwed it down and thanked my lucky stars that I checked.

Lots of things to go wrong.