engine painting

GoldenMotor.com

IndependentRider

Oct 6, 2013
Florida
I want to paint my engine. I was told it traps in heat.
And can over it the engine. Sounds logical.
But I guess how bad is it to paint your engine?

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
I'm assuming you have a Chinese 2 stroke engine?

Paint it. It won't hurt a thing and contrary to what you might think it doesn't need to be high temperature paint. I've used Dupli-Color automotive spray paint as well as other paints with complete success. I would recommend a gasoline compatable paint or a clear coat that will be uneffected by gas.

Light colors will darken a little near the exhaust port if you paint the cylinder. You need to make sure the engine is clean and oil free before painting. Paint won't stick to an oily surface.

Tom

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Cylinder head, no problem.
The muffler might be a different story. I'd probably use a high temperature paint on it. If it is the chrome plated one you'll have to rough up the chrome before paint will stick.

I've never tried to paint a chrome muffler but I have made custom exhaust pipes from EMT, electrical conduit. I use a high temp engine paint, silver, on those with good results.

Tom

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Do I have to take the engine head off to paint ?
No. I would remove the sparkplug and fill the hole with paper towel or a piece of clotch. You could use an old spark plug but you don't want paint on the one you plan to use.

If you still have the chrome acorn nuts that came with your engine this would be a good time to replace them with shouldered/flanged hex nuts. The acorn nuts are pretty but have been a source of trouble for many in the past. Remove the nuts and protect the stud threads with masking tape prior to spraying the paint. When the paint is dry thread on the new nuts and torque them to 120 to 140 inch pounds using a cross pattern.

Tom