Making a custom bike engine

GoldenMotor.com

Mitchg95

May 18, 2014
Lakewood Colorado
Man does time fly when you are designing parts :)
I spent about five bourse today drawing parts, and working out design problems
I determined the firing order of the cylinder, designed all the parts for the crank shaft and figured how I'm going to put that together. I also drew out a design for the fly wheel and made a elevation drawing of the engine with my parts. I'm going to see if there is any way I can shorten this engine tomorrow as my current drawing is 17" long.
I have a feeling I can shorten is up a couple inches with a couple extremely simple mods to the prints.
I'll post pics of what I did in the morning.
I'm getting paid tomorrow, so maybe I'll order some material for the engine and start production :D
Mitch

Mitchg95

May 18, 2014
Lakewood Colorado
Took a little break from designing parts, but got back to it yesterday and designed the front bearing housing

Ad determined what frame I'm going to buid. I'll probably Change a few things about the frame, but here is a general picture that I'm going for.

More to come tomorrow. Currently I'm designing the rear bearing housing and flywheel
Mitch

Mitchg95

May 18, 2014
Lakewood Colorado
Scored an old Schwinn road bike that I'm going to use for the engine. I've already determined that the fork tube and rear tubes are parallel to each other and the bottom tube is 63 degrees relative to the rear tube.
Here is the bike with me next to it. The frame is friggin huge.

I saw a spider lol
Mitch

Theon

Jan 20, 2014
FNQ Australia
I have an Old Raliegh of similar size, It's a Good handling bike at speed.
But I couldn't find away to give it adequate brakes on my budget.
I put mine on some good 26" rims with a 1.95 tyre, but there wasn't room in the forks to get a disc in there and a good set of forks weren't in the old girls warrant.
It needs a second top tube welded in and an inframe tank, would love to do it up as a board tracker one day.

Last edited:

TakeiT

Apr 17, 2014
Oshawa, Ontario
Are you going to convert it into a 4 stroke? Or leave it a 2 stroke?
Check out 805Roadking on youtube, he took 4 briggs engines and made one sexy 4 cylinder. Maybe you can get ideas from them.

Mitchg95

May 18, 2014
Lakewood Colorado
It's going to stay a two stroke. I'm currently designing a frame for the engine, because I've gotten to a point where I need a frame to go off of before I can design of the components and I've deemed the Schwinn inadequate
Pics to come tomorrow if I remember. I've got church in the morning and a job interview directly after that
Mitch

Mitchg95

May 18, 2014
Lakewood Colorado
We'll I got the job, I am now a salesmen for vector. They are the daughter company of cutch knives
Anyway, here is what I've been up to in the design process of the bike.
I've started designing a frame for the engine. Here is what I have of that so far. IT is in 1/8 scale

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Congrats on the job, Mitch!

Your designs are looking great and am looking forward to seeing your finish work.

Reading your thread made me think of a song;

I gotta job waiting for my graduation
Fifty thou a year will buy a lotta beer
Things are going great, and they're only getting better
I'm doing all right, getting good grades
The future's so bright I gotta wear shades.....

Last edited:

Mitchg95

May 18, 2014
Lakewood Colorado
Sorry I have not posted in a while. Ive been busy with other stuff so I have not gotten alot of designing done since my last post.
I have worked out alot of the design issues I have been having since first considering this project and have worked them out. The crank shaft will be mostly solid but made from 3-4 parts. And the crabkcase will be machined from two halves. I have a design drawn up for the left crankcase halve, all that is needed to do now for that is to design the mounting system and how the reed valves will work and to also draw it up on master cam and start programming the haas cnc mill to make the actual parts.
Ill post a picture of theeft hand case drawing later when I get home.
Hope everyone is doing fine
Mitchg95

Mitchg95

May 18, 2014
Lakewood Colorado
We'll half a year has gone by since my last post, I have been working hard on the design over the last few days and solved a few design problems that I have been having since first starting the design process. The case will be made out of two halves that will be sand cast rather than fully machined from two solid blocks of billet. The crankshaft will be one solid piece as to alleviate the complexity of a crankshaft made out of multiple parts, connecting rods will be made like standard rods found in car engines.
I have contacted a company located out of Wisconsin, that does prototyping for engines, they will aid in my design and be able to cast and machine the castings for the prototype engine, I should be able to post a couple pictures of my current drawings tomorrow after sorting out some family issues. One major problem I have had in the design is trying to figure out how far off of the center line of the crankcase the cylinder should sit, but I think I have nailed that problem down.
Mitch usflg

Flyman

Nov 28, 2014
Vian Oklahoma
Mitch I,m a retired tool & die maker & have been a auto machinist before
that. Also many years of my life was involved in Drag & Kart racing. If
there is any thing I can help you with just PM me. I,m retired now & have
kept some of my Machine shop equipment & built my shop next to the house.

I still have many irons in the fire even in retirement. You are taking on a huge project.
I love to see a younger man taking on something as you are. But do the home work.

It takes much more than machining to build a engine. I built some RC engines in the
past. Some better than others, & be leave me there a big learning curve. But
I would be glade to share what I have learned over this many years messing
with such.

Good luck my friend Fly

Mitchg95

May 18, 2014
Lakewood Colorado
Any and all help is very greatly appreciated, I know a bit about internal combustion engines from rebuilding them, I'll definitely pm you with some questions Fly :)
Hopefully I can start producing this soon usflg
Mitch

Flyman

Nov 28, 2014
Vian Oklahoma
Mitch I,m sure you do know much about engines to even take on such
a project. I don't want to come across as a know it all by any means.

I have never quit learning, from others for that is how we acquire knowledge.
When I worked as a auto machinist I worked for one of the best engine builders
in the Midwest. Louis Boyd was his name, & he campaigned one of the fastest
Top fuel dragster of that day. He was truly my mentor .

The things I learned from him carried on even into my tool & die work. I was very
lucky to work & learn from that man. Even though it been year back many thing don't
change. Line boring, rod rebuilding crank grinding, balancing & so on.

I do not know what type of lower end bearing you plan on? If you are going to run
needle bearings, then what alloy rod & do you have a heat treat oven? Things as that.

Just stuff to consider
Fly

Last edited:

Mitchg95

May 18, 2014
Lakewood Colorado
By all means' I do not know everything, I'm not even close to that and I'm sorry if I seem to be coming off as a know it all or a smart a*s as that is certainly not what I want todo. Since last night I have done more research online, and on forums and have found plans for a 120cc flat 4 that is remarkably similar to what I was designing. I am very strongly considering purchasing that set of plans and adding an extra 2 cylinders, and possibly scaling up the plans a slit bit, here is a link to what I have found
http://www.cad-jung-shop.de/epages/62479729.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/62479729/Products/00-Z0004-0
I'm sorry if I came across the wrong way
Mitch usflg