what did you do to your motorized bicycle today?

GoldenMotor.com

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
Re: what did you do to your motor bike today?

I don't care what your fellow co-workers do or think. Wear chemical gloves!
If you got a headache from the gas either entering your blood stream through your skin (yes it can and will do that) or from inhaling too much of it... Dude, that ain't good!

fatdaddy

May 4, 2011
San Jose, Ca.

I've been using regular fluxed solder to make my throttle ends for a while now. I can't remember where I saw the little trick, but it works great. I haven't had even one come back to me.
You, of course, first cut the cable to the proper length, Then coat the end with a thin layer of solder. (thats all it'll hold anyway, the steel cables don't really like solder.) So thats why next you wrap a coil of copper wire to the size you need on the end. THEN when it's soldered it'll hold till the cows come home. Ya might have to file it some to make it the correct size, but I've pulled on it with everything I have and it holds real well. I dont buy throttle cabels anymore, I just buy a bicycle brake cable (2 or 3 bucks,) and make my own.
fatdaddy.

happycheapskate

Nov 26, 2009
Rockwall TX

Hope you sue them. Look for witnesses. run ads in the paper, put a couple signs up at the intersection. Ask any businesses there if they have cameras which might have caught it.

I was headin to breakfast this morning around 640 and a car didnt stop at the red light and whammed me. Front rim is completely broken hah. tire was still good though. them kevlar lined wallyworlds are to bad. Just sitting here recovering and playing war commander on facebook.

i even had to go to the hospital.... really blew big ones.

fatdaddy

May 4, 2011
San Jose, Ca.

I've been using regular fluxed solder to make my throttle ends for a while now. I can't remember where I saw the little trick, but it works great. I haven't had even one come back to me.
You, of course, first cut the cable to the proper length, Then coat the end with a thin layer of solder. (thats all it'll hold anyway, the steel cables don't really like solder.) So thats why next you wrap a coil of copper wire to the size you need on the end. THEN when it's soldered it'll hold till the cows come home. Ya might have to file it some to make it the correct size, but I've pulled on it with everything I have and it holds real well. I dont buy throttle cabels anymore, I just buy a bicycle brake cable (2 or 3 bucks,) and make my own.
fatdaddy.
P.S. Found it on youtube. This is how I do it now. WORKS GREAT with just regular solder and a small torch. Yeah Yeah, silver solder is better. He says regular solder wont work, but it will if you coat the cable with it first. Just barely a shiney layer.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0y27QZOCl50

Last edited:

tooljunkie

Apr 4, 2012
Manitoba,Canada

i put my tune pipe on my bike and went for a buzz.
boy,did it ever!
i didnt expect it to be that loud,think i saw my neighor loading his gun.lol.
will need a little tailpipe and a resonator now.seems to go a little better,still fades at the top,though.
next is my hybriped sprocket kit.

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia

1. I installed the spring tensioner that I made.
2. The choke lever was hitting the frame's top tube so I cut the thumb lever portion off of the choke arm and installed a screw in a different position for a new lever.
3. I also started painting the bare metal areas on the rear fender from when I dimpled it for chain clearance.

P.S. Found it on youtube. This is how I do it now. WORKS GREAT with just regular solder and a small torch. Yeah Yeah, silver solder is better. He says regular solder wont work, but it will if you coat the cable with it first. Just barely a shiney layer.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0y27QZOCl50
fatdaddy, that is Norm from this very forum.
Here is his thread, with a little help from Ilikeabikea.
Norm shortening a throttle cable

Speaking for myself, I found that a propane torch got the cable too hot. A butane torch works perfectly.

cmanns

Jul 1, 2012
Santa Cruz, California

Today I

Shaved the top sides of the front fork to make the tire fit, once pumped it wasn't rubbing on the top but on the sides. Must be because it's a 26x2.75 tire. Also has a 26x2.150 or so fitting tube, not sure fi that contributes to it spreading out so much.

Got some premix, tightened up my ghetto fab sandwhiching setup for the rear sprocket and tried her out till the chain being thrown after a few minutes became an annoyance

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA

yesterday i turned my handlebars around and switched my homemade (grip shifter) throttle from my right handlebar to my left. since switching it over, i had to replace the cable because i reversed the direction it turns in. so I put a new cable on, and today i finished up with that. for a cable end, i use part of a crimp-on wire connector and crimp it on the end of the cable. works fine for me.

cmanns

Jul 1, 2012
Santa Cruz, California

What kind of handle bars, so you make them reverse back so you lean more? I was thinking of doing similar.

Mines the stub that reaches up at an angle I guess? or the part that reaches forward is up at an angle. So if I put it backwards it'd reach up towards me but I was wondering how that'd turn...

happycheapskate

Nov 26, 2009
Rockwall TX

If you reverse your stem for "tiller type" steering, it will likely be greatly annoying, and possibly detrimental to the handling of your bike in corners. Counter steering will no longer be intuitive. It's free to try it though. Make sure you understand headset (the bearings the fork turns on) assembly, stem and handlebar assembly, and proper torque, before messing with them.

http://www.h3publications.com/nucleus/media/4/20100416-IMG_2060XXX.jpg

MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA

I was fixing up a bike that was a bit too big for me to get at the handle bars without hunching and hurting my back. I saw this adjustable neck thingy in the bike shop, but was a bit expensive.

I too turned the neck around, but it had too much and were too close, knees hitting the handle bars in turns and not safe.

It is not a steel part, but I may try getting alloy weld wire for my MIG and test on some scrap to see if I would mod the neck.

MT

happycheapskate

Nov 26, 2009
Rockwall TX

Why bother? You can get a 50mm stem for $50 or less. Adjustable stems are $20, but are weak and flexy most of the time, and just one more thing that could go wrong.

If you are using a BMX handlebar you can get one for $20 or so, check at BMX shops. If you are using a 1" threaded headset, they are even more cheap.

Here's a nice Synchros mtb stem for $35 shipped. http://compare.ebay.com/like/110836265507?var=lv&ltyp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&var=sbar
http://i1.ebayimg.com/10/i/001/b2/25/2ebd_3.JPG

Last edited:

fatdaddy

May 4, 2011
San Jose, Ca.

1. I installed the spring tensioner that I made.
2. The choke lever was hitting the frame's top tube so I cut the thumb lever portion off of the choke arm and installed a screw in a different position for a new lever.
3. I also started painting the bare metal areas on the rear fender from when I dimpled it for chain clearance.

fatdaddy, that is Norm from this very forum.
Here is his thread, with a little help from Ilikeabikea.
Norm shortening a throttle cable

Speaking for myself, I found that a propane torch got the cable too hot. A butane torch works perfectly.
Thanks GearNut, I found it on the "other" site with a youtube link. Thats where I saw it first.
And yeah, I use a small butane torch myself.
fatdaddy.

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.

Why bother? You can get a 50mm stem for $50 or less. Adjustable stems are $20, but are weak and flexy most of the time, and just one more thing that could go wrong.

If you are using a BMX handlebar you can get one for $20 or so, check at BMX shops. If you are using a 1" threaded headset, they are even more cheap.

Here's a nice Synchros mtb stem for $35 shipped. http://compare.ebay.com/like/110836265507?var=lv&ltyp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&var=sbar
http://i1.ebayimg.com/10/i/001/b2/25/2ebd_3.JPG
That thing is not that heavy duty? I got lucky on Craigslist I scored 4 BMX kiddy type bikes with the great big old school style handlebars and old school necks. The ones with lots of metal to them!
I gotta be able to carry groceries etc or life is just rough at 40 mph with a grocery trailer lol.:p:D

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA

What kind of handle bars, so you make them reverse back so you lean more? I was thinking of doing similar.

Mines the stub that reaches up at an angle I guess? or the part that reaches forward is up at an angle. So if I put it backwards it'd reach up towards me but I was wondering how that'd turn...
I didnt turn my neck around or anything. I have mountain bike handlebars that rise in the middle and curve in slightly at the end. all I did was flip them around so the ends of the bars curve downward instead of towards me and the rise in the middle of the bars points forward, so the bars are a little more forward and curve down. thats all i did. maybe later on i will snap some pics.

d_gizzle

May 29, 2012
ARDMORE,OK

I didnt turn my neck around or anything. I have mountain bike handlebars that rise in the middle and curve in slightly at the end. all I did was flip them around so the ends of the bars curve downward instead of towards me and the rise in the middle of the bars points forward, so the bars are a little more forward and curve down. thats all i did.

Isn't that how you get that board tracker look?

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA

I didnt turn my neck around or anything. I have mountain bike handlebars that rise in the middle and curve in slightly at the end. all I did was flip them around so the ends of the bars curve downward instead of towards me and the rise in the middle of the bars points forward, so the bars are a little more forward and curve down. thats all i did.

Isn't that how you get that board tracker look?
maybe with cruiser bars, mountain bike bars are straight. they only have a slight curve to them and a slight rise, but they are almost straight other than that.

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.

I see what your doing now that stem that happy linked would look pretty kewl.